cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Dazza1
New Contributor

Spotify data usage.

Hi there. I was recently lured to Optus as the free streaming sounded great. I have used up my data and looking at data usage Spotify has used 23% of my data. Asked the guys at the Optus store about it and they said this would be credited back to me. However ive used my data up with 4 days to go in month and been notified of being charged the $10 for the extra 1G of data. 

You'd think i wouldve been credited the spotify data back before being charged extra?

Anyone else experienced this?

10 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Spotify data usage.

How are you using Spotify? Just on the phone app?

Have you registered for the free data online or just started listening?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Dazza1
New Contributor

Yes just through phone app and not registered anywhere. Even been in and asked if i needed to do anything special and the guy at Optus store said 'no you can just start using spotify'.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You should usually get an SMS saying free streaming is now available.

If not then you can also activate free streaming in your MY ACCOUNT.

Sounds like its not activated yet. Read about HOW DO I GET IT here

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor CaneCat
New Contributor

down load your music to spotify when you are on your home wifi (or some establishment that offers free wifi) then listen to it 'off line' when your doing what ever you do when your listening to it.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Linogabby
New Contributor

Hi

Optus staff have told me the free streaming data is deducted at the time of billing, so the consumer is not charged for it. I wonder if Optus could do better. I am fed up with the constant email and SMS alerts telling me I have exceeded my allocated data. And I feel threatened by the constant notifications of 10 dollar upgrades. My first bill seemed correct in that the free steaming was deducted. However unless I keep a diary of usage the consumer has no way of knowing how much payable data has been used until the bill arrives. I love the free data allocations but wonder why Optus cannot undertake real time usage in terms of free data.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Lino,

Ironically free data has made it tough to track data usage just as some apps, OS etc. were getting a handle on it. Now instead of being able to just set a monthly limit in my Android settings, its no longer accurate as a large chunck of the data is not to be counted. 

That said, I believe SMS warnings do take into account the actual (not free data) usage. If you load the Optus app you should see the main page "DATA USED" shows a total of only the non free data. If you drill down and look at app usage you'll see the free and non free amounts all listed as that view shows data consumption, not data by price.

The SMS warning should be using the (correct) headline number

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor PeppersGhost
Occasional Contributor

I have the same issue - although my service is activated. I'm on the Live Chat with 'Carlton' - who has just informed me that Spotify Premium is NOT included in the data free streaming!! He reckons that only the free Spotify service is eligible - is this absolute nonsense or what??

Would be interested in someone from Optus reviewing this, and maybe having a chat with Carlton...?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@PeppersGhost,

Might be a miscommunication. Some people think the Premium Monthly Subscription to Spotify / Netflix etc. is included in the Optus deal. Carlton would be at pains to explain this is not the case (i.e. if you get Optus Free Music you don't also get a Spotify Premium Music Account).

So yes you're free to use your premium account for free streaming via the Spotify App on your phone or tablet. You just have to pay for the Premium Subscription (which it sounds like you've done?)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor PeppersGhost
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter - I did clarify that with him, he assured me that he was talking about 'data', not the Spotify subscription - he said my data through Spotify Premium is NOT included in the free streaming service, it will be added to my account.

Anyway - after 1 hour of Live chat, a supervisor rang me me and informed me Carlton had made a mistake, and he apologised... in his best 'call centre supervisor' type way 🙂

What he did say though (which I had suspected) - if you download a track to your phone (to listen to offline) - this is not counted as free data streaming, and it get's added to your mobile data. Why data 'downloaded and kept', is any different to data 'streamed' is beyond me... Basically, if I listen to a track 5 times, it's free. If I download it once, they charge me... go figure. >8^[

Thanks Peter - I also posted this on the front page, will update there too 🙂

0 Kudos