cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor FreemanBlu
New Contributor

Spotify Data Usage

I have a few questions in regards to Spotify and the fact that streaming should not come off my cap. I have it activated on my account but it's very hard to test as you are always using data.

1. If I choose the option to download songs in Spotify, will that get registered on my cap because technically it's not streaming?

2. If I tether my laptop to my Optus phone data usage, will streaming Spotify on my laptop be considered data usage?

3. If so, is there a way to 'trick' my phone into thinking it's streaming on the phone. I think this option should be also data cap free.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor bigblue
New Contributor

Re: Spotify Data Usage

Hi FreemanBlu,

To answer your questions:

1) The only difference between a download vs a stream (they’re technically the same in that both use data) is a download needs to complete before you can use a file/play a song etc. Streaming is still downloading the file only it is “in use” aka being listened to (or watched) at the same time.

2) It’s the same as if you were listening on your phone.

3) No need to do this provided you have set music streaming to active under Service settings - Entertainment in the My Optus app. If you’re still seeing significant data usage from using Spotify, take it up with Optus support. I see some data usage when using Spotify but nothing over the top.

BigBlue

New Contributor

Thanks for your clear answers.

So it seems Optus just sees any data requests to Spotify as free from the device that has the streaming package. I suspect from a networking point of view with my laptop connected to my phone, the phone is acting as a router and any packets that go out from it, even from a tethered device, should still identify as from the phone.

Is there any way in the Optus portal to see a data breakdown so I know if my data is being attributed to Spotify?

0 Kudos
New Contributor bigblue
New Contributor

Hi FreemanBlu, 

Correct on both counts. Traffic between your handset (acting as the modem and router) and Spotify is mostly unmetered. I don't know if it is fair use that applies to metered usage or other aspects of Spotify eg video that occasionally accompanies a track. Someone from Optus would need to clarify this.

As for the usage meter. Well, they could provide a breakdown but I suspect that would be out of scope since the majority only need to know x out of y used. It would be a nice feature to have but I don't see it happening.

BigBlue

0 Kudos
New Contributor

One thing I realised that I should add here for future readers, one of the reasons I wanted to stream Spotify on my laptop is to use Spotify's desktop application while I am working on the computer. I forgot that I can have my phone connected to my speakers and still use the desktop application to control Spotify on my phone through Spotify Connect. Problem solved.

Top Contributors