cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Crowd Champion MiCCAS
Crowd Champion

Speeds and experiences with Optus 4G

Hi all!

I've been testing an Optus 4G Wireless Wifi device for the past week and a bit and have been incredibly surprised with how fast the connection has been - I'm averaging 20mbps all around North and East of Melbourne!

I'd love to hear of any other experiences (particularly South and West Melbourne, of which I haven't tested yet)!

Michael.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
13 Replies
RetiredModerator Ian
RetiredModerator

Re: Speeds and experiences with Optus 4G

Wow that's great Michael!

Love to hear this kind of feedback on our network as our guys are really focused on improvements and making it a great experience for all Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
New Contributor a_srivastava
New Contributor

Hi Guys...anyone of you have problem accessing internet...i cant access internet on my new iphone 5 since this morning eventhough i have full reception and 4g coverage

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Ian
RetiredModerator

Hey there - still happening?

Let me know if this is ongoing after a reboot of your handset and we can check it out Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
New Contributor SImon_K
New Contributor

Using a S3 4G in Greensborough (Edge of suburban NE), I get 54MBIT/24MBIT peak and average around 40/20Mbit.

Very impressed, good to hear it's somewhat fast around the place too. 

Would love to see some heat maps optus Smiley Wink

New Contributor shanson
New Contributor

Some time over the weekend I lost Internet access on my new iPhone5, it seems to be linked to a 'carrier settings update' that was pushed on either Saturday or Sunday morning. I had purchased the phone on 2/11 and had been getting great 4G connections until last weekend. I am now also getting poor phone connection reliability with it constantly dropping to SOS mode only. 

Diagnostics tried so far; SIM card replaced twice, isolation test performed (phone worked fine with someone else's SIM, their phone couldn't connect to Internet and barely to phone with my SIM), restore network settings to default, full factory restore of phone, un-provisioning and reprovisioning of the Internet service on the account.

it's throwing up a PDP Authentication Failure error message, which a google search indicates is a problem with the carrier settings. I currently have an escalation case number and have been told I should hear back in a few days. 

Very disappointing in a new device. I have spent over 4 hours in store or on the phone so far with Optus and Apple trying to get a resolution. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor LB1
New Contributor

I recently purchased a E589 and find the speed to be incredibly variable.

I mainly use it in Toowong QLD and at the most i can get 27 mbps download, but more commonly I am getting between 1 and 4mbps

When I check the covereage maps I should be in prime 4G turf, but not seeming to get the speeds everyone else is talking about.

Anyone else getting the same issue?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Hey LB1, I’ve checked the specifications as well for you and looks like it’s definitely 4G serviceable.

Have you experienced different speeds at different times of the day or does it remain the same? I would recommend to give our Tech Team a call as well when you experience these speeds to ensure that the settings are all provisioned correctly and any troubleshooting that can be done is done for you.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor DylanM
New Contributor

I work in The Valley (Brisbane) and pull down 35000kbps, great speed just abysmal quota :/
0 Kudos
New Contributor skipado76
New Contributor

first time on these forums

i was a telstra customer but have come over to optus..to the 4g mobile bb stick....had it for about 30days now..at first i had to get the modem replaced..twice..then my speeds were only between 150kbps to 5mbps..3 days ago i got a update notice for my modem for the software and firmware...and for about 10mins was getting 10-12mbps...then it went back to 1.5 to 5mbps..which sucked so badly....and was only getting 2 bars on my optus program thingy..as of 2pm yesterday my bar singal went from 2 bars to getting 5 bars...and i live on the 3rd floor in my building...i did a speed test and nearly fell out of my wheelchair..i got 28mbps download and 13mbps uploads....

here is some more exsample of what i have been getting

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2803903916.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2802152035.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2803903131.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2804014216.png

i hope may find this info interesting just letting people what the optus 4g can do

my best result was 43mbps down about 13 up..

just my 2 cents worth...

0 Kudos
Top Contributors