cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
LoneRanger
New Contributor
New Contributor

Speed cap on Wireless Broadband when congested?

With my Wireless Broadband plan and B818 modem I get around 50mbps download speed. Ive seen peaks at 80 and lows around 40.

However, during certain periods (Im guessing during congestion) it slows to 3mbps. Doesn't seem deviation around the 3mbps during these times. Doesnt matter which server in speedtest. I sometimes see over 3 for a second before it slows and settle at just under 3mbps.

It looks like during these times I am being capped at 3mbps.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour.

4 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Speed cap on Wireless Broadband when congested?

Wireless Broadband is a shared medium. Sounds like around 3Mbps is the amount you get in those peak times.
0 Kudos
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Is this Speed Drop a recent event?
Next time your speed drops reboot the modem and see if the speed picks up.

My speed went way south suddenly for no reason. It happened on a Weekend , I would reboot the Modem and it would pick up for an hour or so then die again. Repeated this several times over the weekend, it was bad weather so I was streaming and not very happy.

On the Monday after work I rang Optus Service and was lucky enough to get through to an Optus Representative who listened to the symptoms and what I had done to fix the issue.
I assumed he must have called my account and checked some things and then he told me he was going to disconnect me from the Tower, he asked me to hold the line in about 20 minutes he came back and said it should be fixed. I explained to him I was not at home and he said to me when I get home reboot the modem, which I did and it has been fine since.
I asked him was the procedure he performed a High Level Rebuild on my Account and he replied why do you want to know? I said that if the issue is not fixed and I need to contact support again re the issue I can say I have already had a High Level Rebuild on the account, He replied it was. I believe a High Level Rebuild maybe also known as Resetting the Codes on your account. Service has been fine since.

Just a couple of things  you can do at your end if possible position the Modem facing the tower near a window. If unsure where your closest tower is go to rfnsa.com.au, enter your postcode and use the filters on the side to narrow the search to Optus, 4G & 4G+.
If you have  4G 700MHz, 1800MHz, 2100MHz 2600MHz and or 4G+ 2300MHz or a combination of these log into the Huawei Modem Click on Network Settings, Mobile Network, Mobile Network Searching and Preferred Network Searching and from the Drop down menu select 4G only. Click save and see if the connection is any better. You could try the other 4G options from that menu to see what gives the best result.

Once you locate the closest tower positon the modem as best you can. If the closest tower is 5G active but you cannot get 5G you can use the Optus @home app to optimally position your B818.  
Just have your 4G Phone Internet Connection active,  Location Services active, do not worry about the No WiFi connection error, there is a White Speech Box with a down Arrow at top Right of the page click on the box and Optus 5G support. 

Scroll through the various pages, do the compass align action input your address and once your get the best alignment possible rotate your B818 to match.  

I am an Optus user.
LoneRanger
New Contributor
New Contributor

Tanks Tigers1719,

I have no 5G (rural getting B28 and some B3).

I spent all day trying different locations and found the front corner window closest to the tower 14km away is best spot. Played with direction modem pointing also. The High Level Reload sounds interesting and something I might need to pursue.

So very happy with the 40-60Mbps download most of the time. Thanks petergdownload also ... I understand its a shared medium but it seems strange that it suddenly goes from 40-60 to just under 3 (it is always 2.9x download speed). Choosing a different speedtest server usually has some impact but no ... always 2.9 regardless.  Then it changes from 2.9x back to 40-60.

I understand it might be simply congestion but it sure looks like I am getting throttled to 3mbps at certain times.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Entirely possible. You suggested congestion and if you only get the dip in peak hour then congestion is the likely cause (be it deliberate throttling by the provider or just the maths of the situation)
0 Kudos