Searching...

Mobile

Re: Spam text messages

Toomey

Check out this handy article with some advise to avoid nuisance calls, although it sounds like changing your number may be the best solution. 

If that's something you want to do, shoot me a private message with your phone number, full name and DOB, we'll work out the best way to have that organised.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

r-typer

You can also report/forward spam sms directly to http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/spam-report-spam

[ Edited ]
vava

I've recently been getting at least 1 a day, and I've just began forwarding them to Australian Communications and Media Authority (0429999888) but I don't know what started this spam messages.  They are getting annoying! I've had, Coles, Woolworths, Sophie (asking if im still single....) and Dyson so far!

https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/Guides/how-to-stop-spam-text-messages

There this website, but there's not much you can do....I've even got a spam blocker on my phone but it only blocks phone calls not texts.

domwild

Optus, Telstra, etc. are doing nothing about it as it is a great money spinner. Forget sending scam reports to Scamwatch, Scamnet, etc., just get your money back! This email was sent to them as all they do is keeping statistics:

Hi,

Your office receives many SPAM SMS SCAM reports, which result in an automated reply message once the dudded customer has filled in a long on-line complaint for the keeping of scam statistics, but the scammed person will still be out of pocket. Please add the following to your automated reply message as one-click subscription to "Premium Services" via spam SMS messages are prohibited under the telco industry recommendations:
  1. Tell customer to ring the telco and ask for the money to be refunded. Ignore suggestion to get money back from scammer, that never works. Sending "STOP" still leads to more charging.
  2. If unsuccessful during the call, mention a complaint to TIO (Ombudsman).
  3. Check telco invoice(s). If still unsuccessful, place on-line complaint to TIO, that helps to get the lost money back. Record reference number. Use it later to escalate complaint.
The TIO will get the money back, but gets overwhelmed at the moment through he many NBN complaints. All other organisations just keep scam statistics, like ACCC, ACMA, ACORN, police, AFP, Scamnet, Scamwatch, etc. A complaint to the TIO will cost the telco $30 and more if escalated and that is useful advice.

Regards

domwild

Hi Clancy10,

Optus can do something about it, they can refund the money, so I cannot give you  kudos. Telstra is claiming their scamming will stop by December 7 of this year, but they have leaked wrong info like that to journos before in 2016 and it is still occurring as it is a great money spinner.

It is also wrong to tell people to contact Scamwatch, Scamnet, ACORN, ACCC, ACMA, etc. as all they do is keeping scam statistics and they all get this email:

Hi,

Your office receives many SPAM SMS SCAM reports, which result in an automated reply message once the dudded customer has filled in a long on-line complaint for the keeping of scam statistics, but the scammed person will still be out of pocket. Please add the following to your automated reply message as one-click subscription to "Premium Services" via spam SMS messages are prohibited under the telco industry recommendations:
  1. Tell customer to ring the telco and ask for the money to be refunded. Ignore suggestion to get money back from scammer, that never works. Sending "STOP" does not work either as more charging will occur.
  2. If unsuccessful during the call, mention a complaint to TIO (Ombudsman).
  3. Check telco invoice(s). If still unsuccessful, place on-line complaint to TIO, that helps to get the lost money back. Record reference number. Use it later to escalate complaint.

The TIO will get the money back, but gets overwhelmed at the moment through he many NBN complaints. All other organisations just keep scam statistics, like ACCC, ACMA, ACORN, police, AFP, Scamnet, Scamwatch, etc. A complaint to the TIO will cost the telco $30 and more if escalated and that is useful advice.

Regards

vava

Hi

I’m not apart of the office and I was given that advice which has lessened the amount of spam sms so please don’t make me sound like I’m apart of it, I get just as much spam sms and call and you all. 

Secondly, you need to understand that speaking to telco’s aren’t that easy and half the time they claim nothing can be done and most people are on phone plans where it’s unlimited calls and text. 

Ive gone through ombudsmen regarding telco issues and believe me it’s so frustrating. 

domwild

Hi vava,

Simple and not frustrating, just ring telco for refund, ignore advice to contact scammer, if unsuccesful raise your voice a little bit and mention the three magic letters: " T I O". Chant it like a magic incantation! It performs miracles! Then fill in on-line complaint form for TIO if unsuccessful, which will be the case. Even if telco claims refund will be coming, check invoices and then contact TIO. I got my $20.20 straight away back from Telstra Manila HQ on 132200.

Highlighted

Dan_C

Hey @vava, we do have a dispute process for any Premium SMS services that have been unknowingly subscribed to. 

- Contact us on either live chat → http://yesopt.us/chat2us or 133937.

- Ask the consultant to set your premium content spend limit to $0.00.

- Ask the consultant to raise a dispute with the provider.

- The provider gives us a 2 business day SLA for a response.

- A refund will be credited back into your Optus account or via cheque.

- We advise you to pay the difference between the PMS charge and your regular monthly access fee. We will not penalise you whilst a dispute is in progress.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
75 Kudos
72 Kudos
59 Kudos
43 Kudos