Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor Crazy_Al
Occasional Contributor

Sms not being delivered and some not being received

Often i never receive text messages sent to me. Equally as often text messages i send never get delivered to the intended recipient. On the odd occasion text messages may take msny hpurs before they  actually arrive be they sent messages or ones I'm  meant to receive. Tnis has been a major head ache not to mention a source of stress and arguments. Between my partner and I.  Is it too much to expect the telecommunications service i pay for to actually communicate.  Why is this happening?  What can be done  to stop it as aftet nearly ten years I'm ready to ditch Optus for the competition? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Sms not being delivered and some not being received

FWIW It would seem pretty unlikely it is down to Optus.

We get a lot of complaints here (a lot!) but yours is the first I've heard on missing SMS. Its also the sort of thing that people notice and would report IMO. Are you in a particularly low reception area?

My first thought might be phone or SIM might have an issue. Try sending 20 sms in a row (label them a,b,c,...) try to your own phone first then maybe a round to your partners. See if you can confirm a drop at some point? 

Only other thought is the nature of the missing texts. Not to cause more arguements but might the missing texts be a bit convinient to have missed? Just a thought.

Otherwise your phone should keep a record of texts made. Check the Optus Bill to see if their count matches yours.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter for taking the time  to reply. Yes,  i live in an area of less than perfect coverage although the sms a.w.o.l. isn't limited to when I'm  at home.  I will try sending the 20 as you suggested.

In regard to the convenience of some sms going "missing" this isn't  isolated to just the partner. Other friends have  had  the same issue. Screen shots taken by them confirm the fact that text messages were sent. In some cases the message or messages may arrive late. Anything from half  an hour up to 24 hours later. Not much use when the text is  regarding being picked up or something of a similar nature. Of late when i send an sms there may be three bars  indicating good service but the pop up message declares no network  to be available and the text will  be sent when there is. On occasions a text message may have been "sending " for a half  hour or  more. 

Any insight you  can share will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Al.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
New Contributor Manz72
New Contributor

I have this issue now and it's doing my head in. Would love to know if you got it resolved. I have escalated with optus and if they cant fix it then I will change providers. Too many important messages not being delivered 

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hi @  Manz72 -  I've replied to your other post. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No,  never got it resolved. Doesn't happen as often but it still does happen. Seems pretty pathetic that i have to call to check someone actually received a text i sent. Maybe its there idea of cutting costs. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No,  never got it resolved. Doesn't happen as often but it still does happen. Seems pretty pathetic that i have to call to check someone actually received a text i sent. Maybe its there idea of cutting costs. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor phoneuser
Occasional Contributor

This has also been happening to me for some months. The problem is it's hard to tell if your messages have been received unless you speak to the person. It wasn't until multiple friends and family members said they thought I was ignoring them that I realised there was a problem.

First a young man from Optus said it could have been because I changed from an iPhone to Android when I move from Telstra to Optus. He made adjustment and hoped this would fix the problem.

It didn't.

They have now provided a replacement SIM to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I've spent hours going in circles with optus customer service, who insist there is not a proble with the sms and that the proem must be with me. Usual cop out routine. Same thing has been happening to my partner who optus sugested might have been lying about not getting the sms i had sent her. Absolute disgrace sd far as service and customer support goes. Even this yes crowd crock of s**t. So we the paying customers are now responsible for solving the many problems with this second rate optus service. How about giving us what we pay for in the first place?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor phoneuser
Occasional Contributor

Likewise. Optus implies no one else has this problem of SMS not being sent, which clearly isn't true given this thread.

Have you considered going to the telecommunications ombudsman?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors