Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Slow 4G - Map = "Great"

JaiR

I very recently went on a new plan with Optus, i am paying for a Note 9 and 50GB of data, the large amount of data is a fail safe for our terrible broadband (wiring is terrible in the house) which drops out regularly every day, i planned on using the data as a teather or hotspot for the minutes/hours the ADSL2+ is having problems for, however when i saw 4G and "Great" coverage on the map i expected better.

12:07am;

Up; 1.3Mbps

Down; 1.13Mbps

4:46pm;

Up; 1.14Mbps

Down; 3.4Mbps

Yes Mbps, not MB/s and i used multiple different websites to test speeds.

These are the speeds i am averaging on 4G, no outages and "great" coverage. Yes my phone is conected to 4G and i have the 4G icon, telstra SIM's work at advertised speeds. Switching to 3G makes no difference.

The internet on 4G is too slow to activate my 4 pin code for My Optus, it just times out after i enter the code. I cannot load complex pages and cannot watch videos. I can receive and send calls and texts.

As stated the map said everything was great, no towers out even remotely close, no outages, no reported problems. So i ask, why would my speeds be doing this and how would i go about fixing this?

Re: Slow 4G - Map = "Great"

ShaneP1

Facing same issues from a few days prior. Anyone knows the reason for this? 

Shauna

Hey @JaiR & @ShaneP1 - Can you both please send me a private message confirming your full address?

We'll take a look into this on our end. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

JaiR

An Update;

I am now averaging 0.5 Mbps at 12:03am on a monday night, which = 62.5 kb/s. 

At 62.5 Kb/s 1 Gigabyte takes 38 hours. This 4G speed is 15 times slower than my average ADSL2+ speeds.

Meanwhile the optus maps tell me; no outages, no tower problems, no problems anywhere at all and great indoor/outdoor speeds. I was really looking forward to using this phone and the plan optus offered was decent pricing but at connection speeds like this i think i'll be going over to telstra and have to downgrade to an older phone due to their pricing.

Woodridge

Im in the same boat, last few days have been horrible for download speeds, on the weekend I was managing 6mbps now its tuesday and im down to <1mbps with no real indication as to why.

Its been a real drag seeing as I just moved house, the speeds where slowing down even before the move and now they are at a crawl despite having the same coverage in both locations, and I have been relying on USB tethering while I'm waiting to have my internet installed.

Hopefully I dont time out posting this...

chloesok

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with this, @Woodridge. Could you please send us a PM confirming your full address so that we can take a closer look into this one for you? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Solution

JaiR

After being told no maintenance and or faults are affecting my area i check my coverage map today and my main tower is in the red. The tower must have been problematic this entire time and causing me the issues, i'll keep this updated if once the problem is fixed i still have issues.

Dghys

Hi Shauna, I'm experiencing similar, dramatic 4G speed differences geographically within metro areas. At my family's house, I am getting 114mb/s whilst I'm lucky to get 6mb/s at my place. Any particular reason why this is the case? The map says both places are within "great" reception and 4G Plus. Is there a reason for this?

Ray_YC

This is not something that we can look into here on the forum.
Please chat with us

[ Edited ]
DanielT74

Interestingly I have had similar issues with 4G in Mooroobool, Cairns.

Technical support at Optus say I am in a marginal zone for 4G. Basically websites slow to an extreme crawl even though on my Samsung S8+ there are 4 bars of connection at 4G. I can intermittently get a 4G+ signal which speeds things up dramatically (drops out back to 4G)

I changed the network connection to 3G only and now I am getting PING 60 ms, D/L 11.44 Mbps and U/L of 3.44 Mbps

Worth a try if you're having trouble with 4G

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
73 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos