cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor markj83
New Contributor

Sharing Data, and sharing Stan/Netflix Streaming

I have a primary mobile account. It has as an inclusion unmetered Stan and Netflix streaming.

I have two other sim cards that share the data from this service. One is used in my mobile. One is used in my ipad. The third is not currently in use.

I am about to move into a new house, and I feel that the 80GB is sufficient for me to use without needing a separate internet service.

I would like to use the third sim card in a wifi modem (Huawei 3357 - an Optus product) and then see how I go with the 80gb shared.

I have the Stan and Netflix streaming, and I have read somewhere on these forums that there are restrictions to this - for example that Optus is able to detect when Chromecasting is activated, so that if I were to Chromecast from the phone, to a TV then it would become metered data.

I tend to be of the view that there is nothing untoward about using my shared data in this way, the only contentious issue is whether the unmetered Stan and Netflix data will be metered. I will be casting it using a wifi network that is connected to the account. 

Trying to get a good sense of the restrictions of the unmetered data, as if the data is unmetered I will likely be in a position to not worry about a seperate internet service if the streaming is permissible in this way.

Can anybody point me in the direction of the terms and conditions - I can't seem to find the $5 streaming option (which was the equivalent extra) on the website, as the search by CID function specifically excludes this add on from the contract itself.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Sharing Data, and sharing Stan/Netflix Streaming

Optus no longer offers this on new services (not since around August onwards).

What plan are the other 2 services on?
The streaming "free" data only applies to the single service and is not shared.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor markj83
New Contributor

I'm locked into it on an existing service I signed up to in December last year.

The other two sons are attached to the service (which I think is potentially a legacy thing I've been able to hold on - there are no other services billed)
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

So they would be the once off $5 sims.

Even when Optus offered the streaming addons, that plan was not eligible (i have 3 of those plans attached to my mobile service still.

Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Others use Chromecast and have the free data (but yes some versions of viewing on other devices will be charged). Family sharing applies to all members (so if it works for you it will work for your kids).

At this stage I would suggest you just test your particular arrangement out once you move in to the new house. Rest your phones data usage counter and play some netflix for a few hours. See what your phone data usage goes up by and then wait over night and see what the Optus data usage reports.
Note only the headline data counter on Optus is relevant (the monthly data usage reports all data used, free or not)
Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor markj83
New Contributor

That sounds familiar. They were added on some 6 or 7 years ago. 

Do you mean those extra Sims are not eligible?

I only ask because I have had difficulty getting a straight answer from support about whether unmetered Stab/Netflix is part of the primary number's service. First I was told it is not part of the service, then in the Optus App, I had the option of adding it for $5/month that I added last night on that advice, only to be told today it was an unnecessary addition as it was part of the primary service (though they did seem to indicate that the add on couldn't be added to the other linked sims sharing the data)

I will give it a crack next week when I'm in the property, especially if I have understood correctly that you have suggested that the services will have the benefit of the primary service's inclusions, to see how that plays out.

I feel like resetting the phone's data counter won't work, as the intention is to use one of the additional Sims as the home wifi which is what the Chromecast will use, rather than the phone? Still, easily enough observed with a few hours use.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Only the service with the Addon receives it.
It not shared in any way at all.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I agree you'll need to have a local data indicator for the device you use (I thought it was the phone).
Note in the old days you had an option to enable free streaming in MyAccount. Not sure if that is still their?
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

For the $0 datashare sims you only have the option of enabling Optus Sport in My Account - Entertainment (just checked my own services).

0 Kudos
Top Contributors