Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Missdanidiva
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Shared data allowance alert

It's five days into my new billing cycle (or whatever it's called). I've just received an alert saying '6.91 GB of 8.00GB of the shared data allowance has been used'. 86% in five days when it's usually 86% in 25 days!!!!

My issues are-

1. I never use this much data until about four or five days before the cycle is renewed;

2. I usually get a notification at 50% and 80% - nothing this time (unless you count todays 86%).

I'm paranoid about using the phone for anything now, not knowing what has happened or how. I've done nothing differently in the last five days other than watch an 8 minute YouTube clip. Surely this couldn't be it?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Shared data allowance alert

Definitely scary. Optus usage tracking is not the best.

What phone do you have?

First thing to do is check your local records. Your phone records data usage so what does it say you used these last few days?

You should be able to contact livechat and ask what they thintk the data went by category. They have access to more info

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Missdanidiva
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks. Peter. I have an iPhone. I will follow up your suggestions although I've had trouble reaching LiveChat before.

When you say to check my local records, do you mean the phone bill?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

No, I mean your phone. 

Unfortunately Apple also doesn't believe in tracking data usage so provides very few built in tools to do so. Basically just a data usage counter that keep sgoing up. No warnings or cut offs etc. IMO best practice is to set a recuring reminder each month to reset this counter. That way you can check it at any stage and if it suddenly indicates a big data jump at least you can verify/know.

iPhones should be able to show what app is using the data too.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Missdanidiva
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you again. At the risk of cementing the appearance of being technologically deceased, how do I set a recurring reminder each month to reset the counter?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Dare I say that I already got that impression when you mentioned you have an Apple phone Smiley Happy

But enough of my technological snobbery. I'd just use your calander app? Surely Apple lets you set up recurring reminders?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Missdanidiva
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Allow me to boost your snobfest by telling you that this is the first time I've opened the calendar in I-don't-know-how-many years (I do but I'm not telling).

Do you do home visits? :-))))

0 Kudos
Missdanidiva
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Apparently iPhone 6 doesnt show specific usage for apps but 7 does.

Also, is mobile data the same as data?

This is giving me the shits.

0 Kudos
Missdanidiva
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

And where does wifi fit into all this. (I owe you a Scotch and a good lie down).

0 Kudos