cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Serious inaccuracies with data useage/charges

Is anyone else having issues with being charged for data they know they haven’t used?? The “customer service” rep at Optus say their data comes direct from the SIM and therefore is correct, but even their data management tools aren’t consistent with their billing, AND the phone confirms the data has not been used.

Bill.jpgDaily 02.jpg

On looking deeper, the data usage being billed only loosely fits what’s shown on the daily break down on the MyOptus App and only sort of what is on the phone. If we exclude the massive anomaly on the 5th Oct of 1.54Gb (My regular monthly usage is less than 1.5Gb) that Optus have on different occasions confirmed I both DID and DID NOT use, then they’ve charged me for 582.3MB from the period 29/9 (when my phone usage was last reset) to 21/10 when my phone’s data usage shows only 428MB... a discrepancy of around 35%... that’s quite some markup Optus.

Phone useage01.jpg

Two hours on the phone later and no-one at Optus can explain how the 1.54 data was incurred (or why it doesn't show up on the App Daily Breakdown but figures in the Overview) and then to make matters worse they added extra data blocks (without permission) and charged me for excess data (2 x 1gb blocks) above the 3GB plan before I had even reached it!! AND to top it off when I checked the MyOptus App again it showed 3GB + 2GB extra = 8?!? When I went to school 3+2 was “5”...

App overview.jpg

Total lack of faith in Optus right now...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Serious inaccuracies with data useage/charges

It sounds pretty bizarre. 

There seems to be something going on and the things like the data packs adding when not needed is not something I've heard of before. Based on the info you've collected it would seem you've got a good case that Optus billing has gone wrong and you should only pay your usual fee.

Have you asked what the data was meant to have been used on? They can generally tell you if its Netflix, Youtube etc. Just might be a clue is all.

Perhaps a MOD will check in here and you can PM your details and they can try follow it up.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter

Frustratingly, no, they can’t tell me how I supposedly used this extra data. I was pin-balled between “Billling” and “Tech” for nearly two hours the other night. They didn’t even come close to being able to help. Each operators story contradicted the previous one and I felt like I got nowhere...

I came on here just wondering if anyone else had had similar issues (and in particular, being billed for usage that doesn’t show up on the tools that we’re supposed to use to manage our accounts) ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Thanks for touching base, @mark_hj

I'm really sorry to hear about the difficulties you're facing with your data usage. Unfortunately, our Billing team are the only department that can assist with this as they have access to all of the information pertaining to your data use. Have you spoken with them since posting?

The Data Breakdown analysis only shows five categories that cover most of the data consumed within a month, which explains why you're seeing some abnormalities when breaking down your usage.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

The Data Breakdown analysis only shows five categories that cover most of the data consumed within a month, which explains why you're seeing some abnormalities when breaking down your usage.

That really doesn't explain why I'm seeing abnormalities when the discrepancy is about 1.7GB on a 3GB plan (ie Greater then 50%!!)... whatever supposedly used that 1.7GB mathematically has to be in that "top five" you speak of...

Still no answers from Optus tech OR billing as to how the bill is so wildly innacurate or why the "phantom useage" doesn't show up in the My Optus app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I could be wrong, but I believe the top five categories are the same for all users. As a general rule they cover most of the data people use. However they won't show a "unknown" type even if that type has used most of your data.

Looking at your screen shots its apparent something has gone seriously wrong with Optus reporting methods. I would make sure your phone is set to record usage and if possible cut off at a predetermined limit locally. Hopefully the issue is a one off and your next bill has settled. If the Optus billing can't refund the money in this instance (and they aren't known for doing so in data disputes) then you'd need to file with the TIO and request it via them.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @mark_hj, base on those screenshots there we'll likely need to take a deeper look into your usage to see what the issue is here. Regarding the excess data charges, these are noted in the CIS for your plan as being automatic top-ups for when you exceed your monthly data allowance. I appreciate however that in this instance you feel there is some discrepancy with the data measuring, so that's something we'll need to look further at. Happy for you to send through a PM with your account details so we can take a further look for you.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Just a note that, a few GB is very easy to burn through accidentally these days (Which is the main reason  unlimited automatic top ups is somewhat unconscionable IMO).

Did you end up getting your and warnings for the data and top ups? Optus legally have to provide these and have offered refund before where this information want sent, even if the user used the data knowingly.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors