Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Seems impossible to upgrade. Maybe Vodafone is a better option?

Apparently Optus doesn't want me to upgrade my phone and pay them more money.  I have now tried three times to upgrade my iPhone to the XS Max.  The first time I was told that I couldn't because I hadn't been signed up to a lease plan.  I explained that I definitely had requested a lease plan when I upgraded last year so if I hadn't been put onto that plan it wasn't my fault.  They agreed, transferred me to Customer Service where I got someone who said they could definitely sort it out and then they cut me off.  That was a 90 minute phone call including wait times.

I called again a few days later.  Then I was told that I had to wait until September 28 to upgrade because that was the annual date of my plan.  Fair enough.  I was told that there would be no problem doing that at that point, I would just have to pay the $99 upgrade fee.  No, we can't hold your order until that date.  We have to cancel it.  Sigh.

I submitted a new order this week and yesterday got a txt asking me to call.  I did.  I went through the whole procedure of explaining where we had got to and asked them to read my call notes.  Then I was told that I since they don't think the online team signed me up last year (although I know I did sign up over the phone with them) that they couldn't help me.  When I pointed out that I had had this conversation twice before and was told that I could upgrade, she told me that was a different team so it was their problem and not hers.  Hello, really?????  Optus can't work as one team?

Next she changed her mind and told me that iPhone users have to go to the store to upgrade and that she didn't know why I had called them.  I replied that they had sent me a txt asking me to call and that you definitely can upgrade your phone online because my wife did it just last week.  She replied "No, there is a directive that iphone users must go into a store."  When I asked how long that directive has been in force she started the "Is there anything else I can help you with" loop.

So my question is, what exactly do I have to do to get my order processed?  Alternatively what is the complaints process because this is driving me insane and is absolutely terrible customer service.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Seems impossible to upgrade. Maybe Vodafone is a better option?

Quick note before getting to your post, I wouldn''t go Voda. They offer 36 month contracts instead of 24 month so they can split the phone across 3 years so it seems like the price is compareable to Telstra/Optus. Just my opinion though.

Onto your post. I hate being given 5 different stories across 5 different calls, I feel your pain. My understanding is, that with early upgraders like yourself, because you need to give the phone back (you can pay it out and keep it if you want to) they direct you to the store so they can check that it's not damaged and then issue you with your new device. Nothing to do with iPhones so the explanation was poor.

They have a back up process for customers that are a long way from a store or can't get to one for whatever reason, it just takes longer and really they should have talked you through that. 

My recommendation would be to go to a store if you can. If you can't, your only option is to try calling/chatting again. Hopefully next time you find someone more helpful.

Alternatively, as you asked for it you can lodge a complaint online - https://offer.optus.com.au/for-you/support/complaints1

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its definitely strange Optus Custoemr Service / Sales is saying they can't help sell you a phone because its not their 'department'. 

I agree with @SamSam that due to the lease you'll need to go in store to get it inspected and then kickoff the change over process.

BTW a lease is a very expensive way to own a phone, especially one as expensive as the latest iPhone. Make sure you have it ensured and I'd recommend switching to a standard Optus plan at some point (Which costs about $1000 less and doesn't place all the risks for damage or loss on you). Otherwise the terms are identical (including the $99 upgrade option every 12 months)

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter.  So what you're saying is that upgrading is still an option even if you are on a pay to own plan?  Because that's what they are arguing, that I am on the wrong plan so I can't upgrade.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

AFAIK all Optus standard plans have had the upgrade option for several years now. This is a current standard CIS. Seems the price is $149 now though. You'd want to request Optus tell you what CIS you are covered by and you can see if it says something different though.

Note that when you upgrade your lease after 12 months you essentially sign a new contract for another 24 months (with the upgrade option again available after 12 months). Note I believe you do get the option after 12 months to buy the phone outright for a 'fair market price' as determined by Optus.

Peter Gillepsie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I had the same issue. For me it was simpler, all I wanted is a bigger plan. Moving from $79 to $105.

It took 3 weeks, 2 store visits, 3 live chat (2hrs total), 3 phone calls and I finally manage to change my plan  and give them more money every month!! 

Optus really has to review this, it's makes absolutely no sense.

I find that if you call customer service from the store you get more positive answers. But their customer service team I certainly one of the worst I have had to deal with...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Don t they me about im trying to add new devices to oy more money and my account details are in old system. So they cant do anything until its is migrated to the new one. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Don t they me about im trying to add new devices to oy more money and my account details are in old system. So they cant do anything until its is migrated to the new one. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Gulfman48 - thanks for taking the time to write this up. 

This is quite frustrating to read, I can't imagine what it must be like for you!

Can you please confirm your mobile number full name and DOB so we can take a look?

Just a heads up, we're not a sales support department however we may be able to find out what's gone wrong here. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos