Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Scammed by Jamster/OPTUS and Furious!!

MelbourneWe

Optus, who on earth are you collaborating with???? I have just been searching for books online. I clicked on a search result which directed me to a site which had nothing to do with books but served a pop up saying I had subscribed to a service which I clicked off from. 

I cannot even return to the page as I am guessing it recognized my IP and automatically redirects me to a google search page and don't have the will to flush a new IP address to check this page from a vpn or anonymus connection or logged out from google

I then had a text to my phone telling me my credit will be debited $10 plus a $5 set up charge for a music service called Jamster.

This is a complete scam and if I am debited a single cent I will be taking action out of principle.

Regardless, I will be looking at changing providers as I see this as a major security breach and have lost all faith in your ability to look after your customers.

Regards,

Disgusted of Melbourne

Re: Scammed by Jamster/OPTUS and Furious!!

petergdownload

Is that 'disgusted, of Melbourne' or 'disgusted of Melbourne'? Smiley Happy

Its never nice being scammed but this one is probably not worth the emotional energy. Its fairly easy to prevent going forward and also get the money refunded. 

In fairness Optus is contractually obligated to pass these costs onto you (they don't know if you ordered the service or not). On the flip side Optus do insist all customers be exposed to these scams by default and in days past have profitted considerably from premium SMS services. However they have announced the worst of the worst will finally be blocked after Christmas. 

Do a search on MIA SPHERE in this forum and get it sorted.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

I agree and this whole premium service debacle could have been avoided if Optus turned this feature off by default. I would not give them the satisfaction of changing providers and would definitely make a complaint. The link below gives you information on how to do that. Should you decide to stay with them the second link below gives you information on how to reduce your exposure to these clowns.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/complaints-compliments?requestType=NormalRequest&id=1409...

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/content-services-faqs-spend-control?question=premium%20s...

MelbourneWe

Ok, thanks for this. I'll be changing provider this week as I just don't trust Optus any longer..

In regards to Disgusted of Melbourne.... as in Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgusted_of_Tunbridge_Wells  Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I'm sure they would be sorry to see you go, but I agree Optus have long opted to enable these scams, when shutting them down would be a simple option to provide. Even now the belated response to so many irrate complaints is that some of the scammers will be blocked on customers behalf. Telstra on the other hand has completely discontinued the entire Premium SMS service.

IMO until Optus give their cutomers the ability to limit unwanted costs themselves (auto data top ups and Premium SMS scams for example) they will contimue to garner ill will and in some cases lose customers. Presumably the bean counters have said its been worth it up to now, but how much longer?

NB Love the Disgusted or Turnbridge Wells. Learn something new every day.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Solution

Dan_C

Hey @MelbourneWe, I'm sorry to hear it's come to that. If it's any consolation, we have definitely taken customer feedback onboard. Starting from January 31st we'll be suspending a number of third party content providers.

"After receiving ongoing customer feedback relating to Third Party Content charges, we’re no longer allowing customers to purchase certain subscription-based Third Party Content from 31 January 2018 through their Optus mobile services that use the Optus network." I've linked two blogs that were uploaded earlier this afternoon.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Optus-Postpaid-and/...

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Home-Wireless/ba-p/...

If you have any other questions, we're happy to help answer them.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

firmbee

Just got this text. Does this mean these people? “Hi, from 31/01/18, you'll no longer be able to pay for certain Third Party Content through your Optus mobile service. This change will not affect your existing subscriptions. If you want to set up or renew a subscription after 31/01/18, you'll need to use an alternative payment method offered by the Third Party Content Provider. For more information, head here: optus.com.au/premsmsclose”

Dan_C

@firmbee, that's correct. We've started sending out SMS comms from today. We'll also be sending out direct mail to a number of customers to inform them of the recent change. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Njm

@Dan_C hey dan. Sent you a pm regarding this and our chat last week. Would love an update. Cheers

Njm

@Dan_C Sent you a pm regarding this and our chat last week. Would love an update. Cheers

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
75 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos