cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Scam SMS

So I wake up this morning and have this message, it's 6 in the morning so I wasnt even thinking and clicked the link.

It takes me to a YouTube video saying "you just got gnomed". Here's the text excluding the link

"*OPTUS MSG* There is a problem with your billing information.
You are required to login to your Optus My Account to update it.
To avoid any disruptions to your service, log in here: "

This is a weird one. I don't know if it's someone I know messing with me and Im not sure if they can get anything if I reply.
18 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Scam SMS

It sounds harmless enough. Obviously spam (and spam works by just catching out .0001% who are for one reason or another not quite paying attention for a moment)

Normally that sort of link would take you to an Optus looking page and you would start providing your details to the spammers. This seems more a joke variety (or perhaps the original page was replaced)

You should never reply to spam links (or press them). ANY link in an SMS or email should generally be assumed to be spam or worse. Just delete and move on. If you really want to followup an contact then contact the company some other way.

For now I'd just delete the SMS and forget about it.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
It sounds harmless enough. Obviously spam (and spam works by just catching out .0001% who are for one reason or another not quite paying attention for a moment)

Normally that sort of link would take you to an Optus looking page and you would start providing your details to the spammers. This seems more a joke variety (or perhaps the original page was replaced)

Unfortunately not harmless. I responded to one of these a while ago which definitely took you to a fake Optus site. You got the gnomed video only after you have entered your login details. Also, if I remember correctly, the link contained the mobile number it was sent to that was disguised (i.e. base 64 encoded) so they have a phone number to go with the login details.

@ShaneD1111 , Here is some useful info about the possible consequences.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

It's weird because I didn't enter any information it just took my straight to that video...
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@ShaneD1111 wrote:
It's weird because I didn't enter any information it just took my straight to that video...

At least that is good news that you didn't give any personal info.

Would you mind sending me the exact link via a private message so that I can take a look at it. If it has your phone number visible in it you can replace that with 0's if you like.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Many of those scams go through a diversion so when the fake Optus website goes down they can divert the link to the new fake website. Maybe they were in the process of changing the fake Optus website and simply sent people to YouTube in the interim.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

YetAnotherAcc I think they turned private messaging off didn't they?

Edit: Lmao, hopefully he responds today.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Welcome-Announcements/Private-Message-removal-in-the-community/m-p/... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Yeldarb ,

Missed that announcement. That's (another) real kick to forum functionality. I often have messages or queries that might not be suitable for an open forum thread. 

I think the time might have come to shut the forum down? Optus seem to have decided to direct support resources elsewhere with mods now no longer able to action any help and the Optus online presence reduced largely to sharing links or directing posters to go elsewhere anyway. 

In concluding the forum experiment, the level of complaint posts should be very disconcerting to Optus. Knowing that these are really just the tip of the iceberg and that most involve areas where there has already been many, many attempts to get a resolution to what should a straight forward problem. That points to a systemic failure and not just one off anomalies.

I can't see why Optus would disable functionality that has no public impact and that almost all forums world wide offer. 

PS. Seems your PM is disabled @Yeldarb . If you want to turn it on I'll send you one last time . 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Yeldarb wrote:

Many of those scams go through a diversion so when the fake Optus website goes down they can divert the link to the new fake website. Maybe they were in the process of changing the fake Optus website and simply sent people to YouTube in the interim.

They also vary the URL slightly which changes the behaviour. For example, one of the ones posted in yescrowd had something like #7 at the end, and if you used the exact link but changed just the number to a lower number it would sometimes take you to the real Optus page and other numbers would take you to the fake one. They can certainly get creative.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:

@Yeldarb ,

Missed that announcement.. 

Same here. Had no idea.

That's (another) real kick to forum functionality. I often have messages or queries that might not be suitable for an open forum thread.  

Exactly why I wanted to use it this time, I wanted to make sure that link didn't contain and personal info either in plain text or obfuscated in some form. Used it once before to tell someone that the scam link they posted contained a base64 encoding of their mobile number and didn't want to advertise that publicly before that had a chance to fix it.

I think the time might have come to shut the forum down? Optus seem to have decided to direct support resources elsewhere with mods now no longer able to action any help and the Optus online presence reduced largely to sharing links or directing posters to go elsewhere anyway. 

Nah, they are not going to want to shut it down, they get stupid people like us to be Optus support for free. They also get to coral the negative comment to a part of the internet that does not get much public exposure.

In concluding the forum experiment, the level of complaint posts should be very disconcerting to Optus. Knowing that these are really just the tip of the iceberg and that most involve areas where there has already been many, many attempts to get a resolution to what should a straight forward problem. That points to a systemic failure and not just one off anomalies.

Yep. That fact that they seem be be incapable of learning anything from what is posted here is shocking.

I can't see why Optus would disable functionality that has no public impact and that almost all forums world wide offer. 

Me neither, I would like to here their explanation though.

0 Kudos