cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Holly123
Occasional Contributor

Sales rep in store was deceitful

I got a Samsung S7 on a plan about 6 months ago, the girl in the store said " to thank you for coming over to Optus , we will give you a free screen saver, " I said " Thankyou" . She put it on and when I got home I realised it does not fit the whole screen so it is a pain to text with on the outer sides. Also a discrepancy appeared on my account, I queried it and was told it was for the accessories, only to find out she put the screen saver on my contract. This will be the most expensive screensaver ever purchased. I told the Optus phone rep I could have purchased one on EBay cheaper. She said I am locked I to it with the length of my contract. I am on a pension. Does Optus need this money of mine that badly ? An ex Telstra customer now not so happy being lied to Optus customer. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Sales rep in store was deceitful

Are you saying you're getting a monthly screen saver charge on your bill? How are you "locked to it?"

Did you get the initial screensaver replaced to one that fits by Optus?

How much are we talking about ($10? $20?)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The Optus people said I am locked to it because she added it on my contract for 24 months, also it is in my billing at $5 a month for 24 months . It was fitted in store when I signed up for the phone. I hope this is self explanatory. They say I can't get out of it because it is in the contract. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Also they say this is the only screen saver they have for my phone . It is not wide enough

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So $120 for a screen protector? 

Optus sell them but $40 is the most expensive I can find.

The situation sounds pretty unusual to say the least.  I'm thinking the charge is for Device Protection (i.e. if you drop the phone or its stolen Optus will replace it - i.e. its an insurance charge.) Can you say what it says exactly on your bill for this $5 fee? You can print bills in MYACCOUNT.

The screen protector you got may well have been a cheap freebie.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

It is not a cheap freebie, it says on my contract accessories, ( screen saver ) . It is costing me $5 extra on my billing a month for the next 24 months. Also it is impossible to actually speak to a human for Optus. I have been trying all morning in SA to ask someone about my phone as I am in bed sick 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Perhaps try live chat (available directly through the Optus App).

Both the amount involved and the manner of selling sound unconscionable.

See if you can get through to Optus (Get to Billing if you can). Explain it was offered as free and then charged and you want the $5 taken off. Also ask for a refund of money spent so far. Don't waste time getting upset about it. Just request and see what they say. If they are adamant in saying no, ask for an upfront payout amount for the screen protector (it sells for $40 max on the Optus Website). If they won't provide one (or the amount asked is too much) then tell them you will be submitting the issue to the TIO and you'd like to reaise an official complaint with Optus. 

But again, no point in getting upset over it now. I'm almost certain the TIO will arrange for the money to be refunded (if they have jurisdiction). It will just take some time (thankfully not much of yours). Submit to the TIO that the item was offered for free by the store and then added to the contract without your knowledge as a monthly charge. 

Otherwise get well soon.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok,

Had a chat with an Optus store. They confirmed a screen protector maxes out at $45. They suggested there may be something else included to bring up the price (e.g. a case, headphones, etc. ?). 

They suggested you can go back to the store involved (not a different one) and get a copy of the invoice that should list everything you were billed for. 

On the down side, they said if it was just the screen protector then they would generally offer something else to make the value up to $120 total but they wouldn't decrease the $120 to say $45. Essentially the contract is taken as binding - whatever you agreed to pay should have been shown on it and whatever they provided to give you for that would also be shown.

Its quite possible these details are are itemised and you've signed a contract? If you can't get a satisfactory outcome then make a complaint to the TIO. The TIO will generally look to enforce the contract you've signed. They may take into account the person saying "its free" without any proof, but I don't know.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS I wasn't suggesting you we're paying for the protector above, I was suggesting the protector might be a cheap freebie and the $5 might be for phone insurance (protection).

0 Kudos
Top Contributors