cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor HankDog
New Contributor

SMS messages

What is "you have received an MMS message. Read here http://optus-mobile.ga/mms" . Is this a legitimate optus web address link?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RetiredModerator Miles_R
RetiredModerator

Re: SMS messages

Hi there, HankDog. I'd prefer to open up your account to see if anything malicious has occurred on your service than open up a suspect website. Could you please send us a Private Message with your service number, full name and DOB so that I can investigate this further for you?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Jhop
New Contributor

Hi there,

Did anyone find out if this is legitimate or not as I had the same link sent to me via sms. My husband saw it and thought he was doing the right thing by helping me so he pressed on the link and then proceeded to press the button to 'download a copy of the message that I was sent' but it was in fact an app that was then installed on the phone. The app cannot be seen in the menu but I can see it in the downloaded list in application manager (I am currently using a galaxy S3). The app is called Optus MMS, the icon looks like the Vodafone logo and the app version is 3.0. The permissions it required is quite alarming and the option to uninstall the app is 'greyed' out and unresponsive so I am unable to get it off my phone.

Since the app has been installed (about 30 minutes ago) A window pops up asking for a credit card to link to my account whenever I try to open the Google Play Store app and my facebook account has since been logged out and I have received 4 notifications from Amazon, St George, NAB & PayPal and each one says 'You have received a new message' but I have not opened them up.

Can someone please help me as I don't know what to do?

0 Kudos
Moderator Marie

Yikes! That doesn't sound good Jhop 😞 

Are you able to forward the message to abuse@optusnet.com.au and our team can look further into it for you.

It sounds like the best way to remove it would be to restore the phone however please keep in mind this will lose any information on the phone such as photos, videos, emails and contacts. 

You can copy these over to your Google account to ensure you don't lose them.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you out with.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Paulazza
New Contributor

This has also been happening to me and I transferred my number from Optus to Telstra last November. I have called some of the numbers back and the people on the other end of the phone have no idea what I'm talking about. It's been happening for over a week and every message is from a different number. Called Telstra and they have no idea what to do about it and havnt heard a thing about it before. How can I get help with this and check if my phone has been hacked. Please contact me asap. Also has anyone found a fix or know more about it. 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Hey @Paulazza  - We can look into this for you. Would you be able to send through a PM with your Mobile number, full name and DOB so we could take a look?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Paulazza
New Contributor

Hi shauna not quite sure how to send a PM. Do you have an email I can write to

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Select the moderator's username (mine or Shauna's will do), this will take you to our profile with the option to message us privately. Any moderator profile will do, the message will be answered by the first available agent. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Jhop
New Contributor

Hey @Marie sorry for the late reply. I sent the link through to the address you gave as you suggested to do that day, but I'm still receiving the texts from all different numbers. I have contacted a few of the numbers and managed to speak to a few people about it and we've compared stories to figure out how the virus is being sent around etc which has been good in helping understand how it works but as for what its sole purpose is, or type of virus etc I still haven't figured that out. Is there any update from Optus about it at all?

Am I able to pm you my details to see if someone can check my account like some of the other moderators have suggested please? I just want to see if anything shows on my account at all.

Thank you ☺

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Hey @Jhop, feel free to send me your phone number, full name and DOB to make sure no charges have been incurred. Unfortunately there is little we can do from our end to prevent you from receiving the text messages. I'd recommend reporting any unwanted messages to ScamWatch here.