Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

SMS message delays

Marcsika

Hi there,

For about a month by now, I get sms messages sent from abroad delayed - the delay can be up to 4 days. Anyone experiencing the same? The other side's provider says the issue is on my side Smiley Sad I also need to receive login confirmation messages for banking, and they time out by the time I get them Smiley Sad

Re: SMS message delays

Toomey

Hey Marcsika, thanks for raising this. I can't see any reported issues with SMS messages so we may need to open an IT Case for your service. 

I can't think of any reason why these would be delayed. Is it happening to every SMS sent from overseas?

If it doesn't improve, jump into Live Chat with Mobile Tech Support so we can grab your details and raise an escalation with the networks team.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Mstan

I am having similar problems with both incoming and outgoing sms messages within Australia.  But it is intermittent, some messages arrive/go out immediately, some take hours to arrive/go out and some never arrive, though I haven't noticed any not going out.

This has been happening on and off for about 2 months.

Marcsika

Hi,

well, I already tried the live chat help before opening the topic, but the operator disconnected from me after he saw this question and after I answered his question, with "allegedly not reply coming from me" (mhm, not quite...do they have technical issues? I was using the chat through the phone's data service).

Anyway, I asked around and it seems there are a couple of other people who are experiencing the same problem, some using optus directly while others are at Virgin (so still Optus network), I asked them to raise the issue if they can there as well.

The delay is on and off, as the previous poster mentioned, occasionally the delayed messages hail in, 8-10 at a time, then they are arriving OK for a couple of days until issues start again. I think the problem started around the time daylight savings ended in Europe (some weeks prior it starting in Australia)

Mstan

I had the same problem for a few months in early 2013. At the time I had an Optus mobile and a work mobile on Vodaphone, with both sitting on the same desk.

Sending a message from the Optus phone to the Voda took 6 hrs with it time stamped on delivery, on both phones.

A message sent the other way arrived after 2 hrs, timestamped when sent on the sending phone, but when delivered on the Optus phone.

The problem had to be in the Optus network or the timestamp of the outgoing message on the Optus phone would have been when sent.

The problem just went away after a couple of days, without being reported at the time.

I suspect that it only happens to messages between different networks. 

Dishydon

Hi, my wife and I have been with Optus for 10+ years, we’ve both owned iPhones the whole time. When we sends text messages to each other, and if someone sends one to us, every now and then, it takes hours before we receive the sms. And it’s not because we’re in an area of poor reception, we’re at home, in the middle of Melbourne, with 4G showing on our phones. This has been happening for years now,for both my wife and I, but it is infrequent enough to not have said anything before. However, today, my son sent me a Sms needing to be picked up from the train station at 5pm. I only just received it at 9pm!!!! (Needless to say he ended up calling!) My wife has just informed me that it happened to her the other day with our other son sending her an sms. Optus support, what can u tell me please? Why does this happen? And what can be done to stop it from happening again? 

Solution

Ray_YC

Hi @Dishydon,

That's a challenging one to try to resolve over the forum without having visibility of your iPhones and settings. 

How old are the iPhones? How old are the SIM cards? What troubleshooting have you done? Is the latest software installed? Do you have iMessage activated? etc. are just some of the troubleshooting questions.

Please visit our troubleshooting page for further guidance, if that doesn't resolve the issue we suggest speaking with Live Chat or popping into a yes Optus store.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Mstan

I don't see this as any solution. For three reasons.

1. It only addressed iPhonesiPhones, but the problem also affected other brands,

2. The remarks/questions all assume the use has only one device and doesn't know how to use it,

3. The suggested troublestroubleshooting link only points off to user guides, which don't help at all, and

I have had this problem on three different phone, all Samsung,  a G5, a G7 and just today on a G9. I'm a Principal Engineer, with a specialty in Radiocommunications. I have been using mobile phones since before they were legal in Australia. I tested them for recommending approval of their use to our government.

All of my phones have been regularly updated and configured as specified in the user guidelines.

But I still get long delays in sending messages and/or messages that never arrive.

This is a network problem,  not a phone problem.

Ray_YC

This is not something that we can currently assist with here on the forum as your account details are required along with specifics such as dates, times, numbers sent to, devices used, etc.

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. 

If not, please chat with us.
If for some reason it is still not resolved, please follow our complaints process.
Let us know how you go. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
128 Kudos
113 Kudos
82 Kudos
80 Kudos
45 Kudos