Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Mike4951
New Contributor

SMS charges

I am a pre-paid mobile phone Optus customer. For SMS Optus charges $0.29 for 160 characters or a part of that. Not for the first time I’ve been charged 3 times $0.29 for a message with 170 characters including spaces and carriage returns. Any idea why? The Optus chat persons simply say I’d sent 3 messages.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: SMS charges

Call the person you sent the SMS to. Ask them how many SMS they recieved.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Mike4951
New Contributor

Thanks Peter. I sent one message and the person received one message. Given the number of characters I used I would like to find out why is Optus charging me for 3 messages instead of 2 messages, that is overcharging me 50%.

Regards,

Mike4951

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Hey @Mike4951

Have you used any emoji in your SMS? The character count refers to the maximum amount of data transferable in one SMS. SMS can be encoded differently. When emoji are used, the encoding of your SMS charges and each character takes up twice as much data. Therefore you're limited to 70 characters. 170 characters if emoji have been used in your SMS, would result in three SMS rather than two. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Mike4951
New Contributor

Thanks Mike-N. No emoji used at all, no attachments, no pictures, just the standard characteres. Am still baffled. A cynic friend suggested it is an inconspicuous way to enhance revenue. I hereby promise to waive my right to claim the refund if Optus explains the situation. BTW it's possible that Optus tried to ring me. Because my telephone manners are not the best (or, rather, my hearing is not), I use phone for messsages, not for talking. Any idea how to contact Optus by email? Or why would Optus not contact me via my registered email?

Regards, Mike4951

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator JordanOptus
RetiredModerator

Sounds pretty weird 😕 Can definitely confirm that it's a conspiracy to increase revenue though! Honestly @Mike4951 it sounds like there could be a technical issue with the billing on our end, which if it is you would get refunded for what's happened. If you've not had a chance yet, have chat with either Billing or Tech Support Live Chat and they would be able to investigate. 

0 Kudos