cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

SIM Card keeps Locking

Hi,

I a having a problem with my SIM Card. It keeps Locking. When it locks the phone says Emergency Calls Only. After re-entering my SIM Card PIN to unlock it I get the following Notifiction - 'Cannot Connect Download Cancelled'. After sometime the SIM Card will lock again.

I have turned my phone off and removed and re-inserted the SIM Card. But this has not helped.

I do not know why I am getting the 'Cannot Connect Download Cancelled' notification as I am not trying to download anything.

I have Background Data Restricted turned on. Samsung Galaxy S5 which I have had for over 2 years. Android OS is up to date. I have had this SIM Card for a number of years. Issue first occured several days ago.

Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: SIM Card keeps Locking

Hey @lyn_tim - sounds like you may need a new SIM card. 

Generally speaking, SIM cards have a life span of only a couple of years. I'd recommend popping down to your local Optus store and requesting a replacement SIM. 

They are free, so you shouldn't be charged anything.

However if the issue persists, this may be an issue with the handset itself.

If you're unable to get to an Optus store, send us a PM with your mobile number, full name and DOB so we can arrange one to be sent to you.

This generally takes 5 business days 🙂 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Shauna,

Thanks for the reply.

I worked out that the SIM Card keeps locking because the phone reboots for no apparent reason. I did a Factory Reset on the phone but this did not fix the problem. It is definitely a problem with the phone as I have put the SIM Card into an older phone and it is working fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, okay. That sounds a bit frustating.

It might be a good to take the device to a local phone repair store. You do have the option of sending the handset away through Optus, if the phone is out of warrant then a charge will apply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Check your battery. When my S4 kept restarting, I realised my battery was dodgey and was actually expanding. I didn't have SIM issues, but it's worth looking into getting a new battery. At least the S5 has a removable back so you can DIY 🙂 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

No I want to lock m y phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi there,

Not sure what you mean by you want to lock your phone? Have you lost it/had it stolen and want to put a block on it?

We've changed your username from your personal mobile number being displayed on our public forum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors