cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Ben01
Occasional Contributor

SCAM OPTUS COMPLIENT WITH THIRD PARTY SCAMMERS

Peter has been responding to my complaint about OPTUS and so called third party SCAM companies applying charges to my account without having permission. Does Peter work for OPTUS? Peter, OPTUS must make a margin or recieve remuneration in some way from these SCAM companies or they would not process the charge on an OPTUS account. This is very simply to understand yet OPTUS like to pretent the charge is in no way related to them. Rubbish. Optus is attempting to pretent that these SCAM third party providers are placing charges via the OPTUS account without OPTUS benefiting. Don't tell me that we have accepted the charges via some SMS or ticked some box on an advertisement. WE HAVE NOT. OPTUS needs to refund our account to the tune of  $349.80 for the Oxygen8 SCAM and $38.16 for the Mia Sphere Live SCAM.

I repeat, DO NOT infer that we are to blame for this third party SCAM.

If anyone else is being bullied by OPTUS or there third party SCAM companies, make your voice heard. In 2017, this should not be happening.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SCAM OPTUS COMPLIENT WITH THIRD PARTY SCAMMERS

These premium service charges are a common complaint and whilst I would agree with everything you have said there are those who won't. As far as I am aware Optus staff are identified as moderators and the rest are just customers or contributors who are just tryng to help. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Ben01
Occasional Contributor

It's very simple in my view. OPTUS, the biller, needs to obtain permission from the client directly to apply the charge. This prevents OPTUS hiding behind third party SCAMMERS. The other issue here is there seems to be the view that we have accepted the SCAM products and it's our fault we are in this mess. WE HAVE NOT. This fact does not seem to be getting through to OPTUS. WE DID NOT SIGN UP TO THE SERVICE you are billing us for. Why are OPTUS commentators ignoring the fact that we did not sign up for the SCAM service? If the SCAM service has not been requested, wouldnt it be good customer service to quickly resolve the issue?

OPTUS and these other SCAM companies have a problem with offering products in an honest way when other Australian businesses must adhere to strict disclosure laws. I'll be going to the TIO and ACCC to press my case futher. It would be nice if someone at OPTUS simply admitted that the arrangement they have with these SCAM companies is not working to the benefit of consumers.

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

All Optus employee's on here that are acting on behalf of Optus (as in, in an official capacity) are labelled as moderators or similar. Peter isn't so as such even if he is employed by Optus, all of his posts are his own opinion and don't represent Optus.

Onto your actual post though, I think you'd find (and this is just an assumption given the likely millions of dollars Optus pay their legal teams) that while what they're doing might not be ethical, it wouldn't be illegal. Otherwise the ACCC, TIO or ACMA would have stepped in by now. I'd say there's some fine print somewhere.

Can I ask if you've contacted Optus about these charges? And if so, have they lodged the dispute with the 3rd party for you? That's the correct process and I believe you should hear back from the 3rd party within 2 business days but I could be wrong.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Moderator Shauna

@Ben01 - I've responded to your other thread here

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor sinosmurf
New Contributor

Like many here, I have been charged $9+ per week (for the past 4 weeks) by this MIA Sphere Live for "Itube2" subscription which I did not subscribe to.  Quite disturbing actually as no one has put a stop to all these nonsense after so many years.  

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Hello @sinosmurf

I'm sorry to see you've received a charge for something you did not subscribe to. If you would like our help investigating this, please send us a private message confirming your phone number, full name and date of birth. We'll be able to assist with blocking these types of charges and raising a dispute for those that have been charged against your service. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors