Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Tom12
Occasional Contributor

S9 Second service 50% off

Has anyone else taken up this offer?

I had massive problems trying to get this offer.

Everything seemed dodgy drom the start. I said I wanted 2 new S9's on $120 plans which has double data equaling 400GB a month and taking into account the 50% off the second service I would pay $180 a month. All was confirmed and agreed. Then I found out that the 50% discount was not applied and double data not applied.

And the customer service just continued to be dodgy, I saved all the chats and really want to post them on here to some of the ludicrous things they said. Basically they wanted proof of their offer, where did I see it etc Then they told me 50% off is from the device not plan fees which clearly states its off plan on the big blue banner on their site. They would never confirm how much I would pay a month no matter how many times asked so I could have it recorded. $180 plus device fee they said. How much is the device fee? Then I get a long pause for 2 minutes and the topic gets changed or always had to check something.

Finally after a long time. Device is $49 cos it's on a higher plan. Kidding me. Which is advertised where? $120 plan has $0 phone upfront fee. Ok you pay $180 a month 400GB with $0 Device fee. Finally confirmed after so much dodginess. I mean do customer service not know their own offers? Sales techniques probably.

Anyways that was just really really poor. Why offer the deal and then try and cheat you out of it.

Anyone want a copy of my chat transcript?

Has this happened to anyone else?

13 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: S9 Second service 50% off

200GB with a phone plan is bloody awesome! Yes I think they need to spend 5 minutes every morning looking at the specials on their own website before they start answering calls. Do you still have the link to the deal or a picture you can post so we can read the fine print on this 50% off?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yep that deal is crazy good. I moved from Vodafone and they couldn't believe I was getting 2 new S9's, 400GB for $180 a month, they couldn't get close to matching it. The deal is so good that I think optus are trying to cheat people out of it with hidden device fees and what not. I cancelled my NBN and I'm gonna use my data for all my internet needs. 4G is way faster than the crap that NBN coughs up. 

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/samsung/galaxy-s9?SID=con:mcat:afeat:1:feb18:postmob:gs9:...

The offer is just a little scroll down, blue banner, can't miss it.

If anyone is going for this deal. BE CAREFUL and make sure you have everything in writing before you accept the deal.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I just had a quick look at that offer (my phone is about to die) and from what I understand they are offering 50% off the plan fees on a second S9. Given there are no handset fees on the $120 plan I would also assume the cost of the second phone would be $60 per month. Unless I am missing something obvious I don't follow what sales is trying to do. I doubt they are trying to shaft you more likely they dont understand the plan or we sre not reading it correctly.

Short of a moderator jumping on this post I will have a look later tinight on my desktop and see what I might have missed.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yeah same, that's how I interpreted it too. Although I asked obviously just to make sure in case I missed something. Both on online chat and someone on the phone told me what I read was correct.

Can someone from Optus confirm this deal? Just to clarify as I think it would help everyone out.

Maybe give some plan examples involving this deal. With monthly total prices and what GB is involved would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'd agree too. Total monthly cost should be $180 for the two phones. 

The few times I've dealt with Customer Service I also get them to email me a simple summary of the critical points of the deal (too many stories of people being told one thing on joining only to find another when they get their first bill).

Customer Service can be a mixed bag. So if you're having difficulties I'd just call back and try again. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Tom12

THE OFFER

New or recontracting customers who sign up to a My Plan Plus/ Flex with a Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9+ for 24 months will get 50% off the monthly access for one service when they sign up an additional service. The additional service must be:

• A new service with a Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9+
  • On a 24 month My Plan Plus/Flex
  • Added on the same day and same billing account

If you've signed onto a $120 My plan Plus and the second service has also been placed onto this rate plan, then yes, you're correct. 

Your total monthly access fee should come to $180.00.

The handset cost of the GS9 (both the 64GB & 256GB variant) is $0.00 on the $120 My Plan Plus plan. 

The handset cost of the GS9 + (64GB) is $0.00 on the 120 My Plan Plus plan. The 256GB model is an additional $5.00 per month on the same rate plan. 

Q. When and how will the discount show on the customer's bill?

A. The discount will appear on the customers first bill with both eligible services as a credit against the new service or the plan with the lowest access fee.

If you need us to follow up, send us a PM and we'll take a look. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response Dan. That was exactly the answer I was looking for.

Yeah the offer you explained is how I interpreted it and it's how customer service explained the same to me. Sounds so easy and simple.

So if everyone is on the same page why is it so difficult to get the deal. I also see that a lot of people are having trouble with the double data offer.

Basically when it comes to a public forum answers are quick and concise. But as soon as it's one on one with a sales rep, that's when you get difficulties. Coincidence?

Either staff are poorly trained or they purposely add costs and hope they don't notice/complain. I'm going with the latter.

I guess most telcos do this. Vodafone did some some dodgy on me too but optus has by far been the worst.

Customer service is important to me and I can handle sales staff trying to get as much money out of the customer but this was nothing I had seen before.

Optus said it is resolved and I have it in writing. Nothing has been updated on my online account in regards to double data let alone the plan fee. I'm gonna wait til my first bill to see if they did fix it. I'm not confident honestly.

I'm not gonna private message a moderator so they can double check because it should be resolved already.

I'll will update my ongoing situation

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

An update on my situation.

I received my first bill and the monthly fees are correct at $180. I'm so relieved that part is finally fixed.

Now my double data has not yet updated on my dashboard. It's only been about 40 hours. How long will it take to update? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That can take different amounts of time.

You should have the allowance already though. You'll get a warning at 50% usage which should tell you if the double data has been applied.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors