cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Roaming in Laos - previous data allowance will now cost $8000 pm (same contract)

So I work in Laos (previously covered as a Zone 1 destination) , and the revised definitions as well as the lack of any provision of Roaming Passes here means that this country becomes 200x more expensive for my data this month (based on attributing 50% of my contract rate to the previously allocated 4GB per month, 2 services with Roaming).

I am currently in Laos, and do not return to Australia until mid month.

Questions ...

1. On what date must I de-activate Mobile Data and "go dark" to avoid the standard roaming data charge of $1 per MB.

2. Is there any reason why I wouldn't cancel all 4 of my Optus mobile services in response to this blatant disregard for a reasonable expectation of continuity of services provided under a 24 month contract. As if "Zone 1 destinations may be subject to change" is adequate licence for this - so not impressed!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Roaming in Laos - previous data allowance will now cost $8000 pm (same contract)

Optus doesn't have direct control over international telcos and countries. It makes deals where it can but sometimes these deals are no longer available.

At this stage I'd stop using your Optus roaming now but that's just me. Your choice if you no longer want to use Optus for other mobile services. Given your usage of have thought a local SIM much more appropriate. Otherwise look around and see what other telcos have on offer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Roaming in Laos - previous data allowance will now cost $8000 pm (same contract)

Thanks for your reply

Of course I have now de-activated Mobile data and I'll be shopping around locally in the PDR for a provider. Unfortunately 2 of my phones are Optus-locked as well, thereby adding insult to injury!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Definitely tough when you've got a system that works and then have to resource it.

AFAIK Optus don't generally lock post paid plans. If you have phones on a prepaid plan then they'll unlock them for free after $80 of recharge.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1399
0 Kudos
Top Contributors