cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor chopperC
Occasional Contributor

Roaming data charge

I was away to France for work for six days so I have activated the Travel Pack for six days. On the last day (6 Apr, Thursday), at the Heathrow Airport. I checked the Optus App and it states that I did not exceed my limit. I did not receive any usage alert AT ALL (50%, 85% or 100%) NONE. 

Friday night (7 Apr), I reveived a sms that stated I have over $100 of data usage fee because I exceeded the limit. I tried Live Chat. I stated that no alert was sent to me. "Judith" told me that an alert was sent. I asked her what was the date and time that the alert was sent. There was a long pause, then she said there is nothing she can do until I receive my bill. I repeated myself three times, asking her that if she knew an alert was sent, what was the time and date. Same answer. "Sorry, I cannot do anything for you at this moment" (Maybe it was a bot?!)

Tonight, another sms stating the bill is now over $500.

Optus, I AM NOT PAYING THIS FEE.

It is not my problem you had issues with you alert sms, or if the Optus App had problems.

I would not have exceeded my data usage (IF I really did exceeded the limit!) if an alert was sent to me or if the App was displaying my usage correctly.

Please have the billing department contact me ASAP to waive this fee.

Congrats, WORST ROAMING SERVICE + CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE EVER. 

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roaming data charge

The delay of up to 48 hours or more in the data usage reporting causes all sorts of issues and subsequently makes the data reporting system useless in my opinion. They even say not to rely on data usage reporting specifically when roaming. The only option is to monitor the usage yourself to avoid these hefty charges.

A quote from the link below:

Usage alerts may be delayed by up to 48 hours so it's recommended you do not rely solely on them. Note that usage alerts may be delayed by longer than 48 hours if you are using your data overseas on roaming.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/optusalerts

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the input mate.

But like I said, it is not the user's problem or responsibility if Optus can't get their reporting right! 

Don't send a sms stating usage alert will be sent to a user and then add a fine print somewhere else  statingthere might be delays. Why wasn't this information on usage alert delay included in the sms?!

Optus needs to take some responsibility on this appalling Travel Pack service. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well I would have to agree that it doesn’t many sense to me to have a data reporting system that takes over 2 days to give you that information especially with roaming rates.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

This whole "there might be delays to the alert" excuse is one big joke. 

What is the point of having an "alert" that is sent (or not sent) two days later?!

That's the same as having a fire alarm that rings after your house is burnt down. 

The whole point of having this "alert" is so the user CAN STOP USING DATA IMMEDIATELY. Not to be notified two days later (or in my case, NOT NOTIFIED AT ALL) and charged a fortune!!

Stop making up lame excuses and sort your service out Optus. 

RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

@chopperC - I can definitely understand where you're coming from here. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't be too impressed either. Generally speaking, you should have received 50%, 85% & 100% alert, however if there was a tonne of data used in a small period of time, sometimes those alerts won't flow through, and you will just receive the alert advising you had exceeded. That being said, I don't want to speculate without looking into your account first. Would you be able to send a private message with your account details, full name and DOB? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

After I sent Optus my details, ONCE AGAIN they avoided my question and states that I overused the data hence I am being charged X amounts of fees.

Can you people STOP SENDING ME THE SAME GENERIC ANSWER and address my question?!

I don't see how I can get any help or answers from you except file a formal complaint to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman!! 

This is my fifth attempt and you have not provided any help in any way, except repeating information from the website (which is false information anyway! I DID NOT RECEIVE ANY USAGE ALERT WHATSOEVER!!)

0 Kudos
New Contributor Jynx
New Contributor

I also experienced this recently while on Optus Travel Pack for 13 days.  I didn't get any usage alerts on 50%, 85% or 100% and had a bill shock a few days ago.  I took screenshot of my Optus app for international roaming and even escalated this issue while I was still overseas.

Were they able to resolve the matter with you?

Occasional Contributor

Hey Jynx

NO, they have not resolved it. 

Customer service will only repeat they can't do anything until I get the bill. I asked them to have their billing people contact me to resolve it but they said I have to call the billing department number myself. 

I will let you know after I called the billing people.

If they can't solve this ridiculous and preposterous issue. I will file an official complaint case to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

Clearly Optus does not want to address this issue. I will probably cancel the whole 24 plan and pay the money for the mobile phone and move on to Telstra!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jynx

I called 1509 -> 3 -> 6 -> 2

Ruthie was very helpful, unlike the other customer service I have encountered. She checked my records, confirmed no usage alerts were sent to my phone and waived all the extra costs. 

I hope this helps. You should be able to resolve your issue with the same procedure. 

Top Contributors