cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted

Re: Returned lease phone assessed as damaged

Sorry to hear about your leasing phone issue @Candle and the run around. We can definitely look into this for you. Unfortunately, we don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. 

If you have a social media account then please raise your issue by either sending a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So just contancted Optus on facebook, and the rep is still saying that the "damage" on the phone is still viable for the damage fee, and seems like I'm still going to be charged the $299 dollars for these "damages", which I still haven't seen any proof of. This is so riduculous, I know I returned the phone with barely any marks or scratches, which are within the good condition guidelines, and to be charged a $299 fee is just unbeliveable.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"to be charged a $299 fee is just unbeliveable."

Unfortunately you signed a contract leaving everything up to Optus to decide.

At this point I wouldn't worry about reps. They have no direct knowledge about anything to do with your phone. The screen says you have a damage fee. They'll tell you you have a damage fee.

At this stage I would lodge a TIO complaint. State the phone was undamaged when you sent it in and you cannot get any explanation (proof) as to what this supposed damage is.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

optus claim for damage fee.pngSo I ended up getting something back from optus, and they sent me this as the damages, I do understand that the scratch on the bottom left does seem pretty bad, but all the other scratches are considered major scratches? If having a phone for 3+years, it would be impossible to return the phone without a damage fee with optus's guideline 

also their guideline for returning a lease phone in good working conditions are;

1. Can power on and off
  2. Has a fully functional touchscreen and battery
  3. Is not physically damaged i.e. liquid damage, cracked, discoloured or bleeding screen (LCD) or casing & no missing buttons or SIM tray
  4. Does not have any missing, disassembled, customised or non-genuine parts
  5. Does not have any severe scratches (normal wear and tear such as light marks and scratches are okay)
  6. Locking features are disabled i.e. Find my iPhone or Face ID
  7. Is not IMEI blocked i.e. blocked due to being lost or stolen
  8. Is the phone you leased from us under the mobile equipment lease plan

Again for the bottom left could be considered as a severe scratch, and with the 5th rule being that you can't have ANY severe scratches, but for the other scratches that they circled to be considered severe scratches. A customer having the phone for 3+ years, unless if they never took the phone out of the box, it'd be impossible for someone to return a phone without a damage fee coming their way. Guess I'm going to have to pay for the damages, $299 for the these severe scratches, nice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks for the info.

As mentioned above, a leasing plan removes pretty much any say as to what is reasonable or otherwise on damage. But in this case Optus seem to be not unreasonable in assessing the screen as needing replacement (they are trying to sell these second hand so no point having something people won't buy). One major scratch or 10 wouldn't seem to make a difference - replacing the glass still costs $299.

Next time I suggest you invest in a $15 screen protector?

PS it may be a typo but the damage photo says the scratch was on the "lens".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, I totally understand the assessment, but for the scratches aren't there like gel/epoxy like products that can easily replenish the scratches instead of replacing the whole glass?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That's no doubt what they'd do. But they might as well get $299 off the customer anyway. There's a reason leases have disappeared. Instead of owning a scratched phone you could sell for several hundred $ (or just keep using) the customer ended up with nothing except a $299 bill (if they were lucky).

A little older a little wiser.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, bit of an update for my experience with this problem.

I FINALLY got someone who actually helped on the Optus help chat, they did something right because I finally received an email from noreply@optus saying 
"This is regarding about the charge for the damage fee that cost $229.00 . The issue has been escalated and as a result of the investigation, The leasing phone which is the  Samsg GS9 64BK is  e is graded A -fair condition. We just want to inform you that the credit for $229.00 has been processed and it may take 15 mins to 4hours before it will take effect. We do apologise for all the inconvenience and we appreciate your patience regarding this concern. If you have any questions feel free to contact us. Thank you for choosing Optus. Have a lovely day! 

Regards,
Anjanette
Optus team" 

They finally decided there was nothing wrong with my returned leased device 6 MONTHS LATER!! I returned it April 2020!! Ridiculous. 

Moral of the story to the many people out there with the exact same problem: DO NOT pay the damage fee, keep demanding to see proof of the damage - they should be able to give you a damage report + photos if this is true. Eventually they will fold and admit your phone is fine and wave the fee. Good luck! 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yes it is ridiculous (deserving of ridicule). This is a fairly straight forward process (return leased phone) and that no one at Optus has been able (or willing) to realise that there is a significant customer service issue that needs addressing for over six months is an indictment.

"If you have any questions feel free to contact us. Thank you for choosing Optus. Have a lovely day!"

I'm glad you got is sorted in the end.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am just going through the same with them now, 
Did this ever get resolved?

0 Kudos