cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Returned lease phone assessed as damaged

Hi SweetPea, you hopefully should have a better experience by if you have a social media account, please then send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter  with the details for further assistance mentioning you’ve gotten nowhere with the My Optus app messaging team.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It really is a bad process @Owis. As in many areas Optus seems to shoot itself in the foot aggravating customers (even when they've got something good to say, like here's your brand new phone). I'm sure it must look better on paper, but in this case Optus are acting just short of thugs.

Often large amounts of money are involved. There's almost zero communication - just a demand for payment now. No discussion. The customer has no say in the options. The process seems to be error prone and in many instances customers were actually lead to believe the phone was there's to keep and are instead being told pay up or else. Even when an agreement is reached it seems Optus can't remember it or implement it at times.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SweetPea

I have to wonder where all these notes on your file are going if they are once again off to the warehouse for confirmation. There are many new and under trained agents at the moment so perhaps if you try again and insist they look at the notes on your file?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Peter. Apparently the person who confirmed there was no damage, and said that they would cancel the damage fee charge (07/05/20) did not leave any notes in my file.. I also received a phone call on or around this day telling me that I do not need to worry as they have confirmed my phone is in good working order, and that I will not be charged. Two people since then (11/05/20 and 19/05/20) have said they have added notes to my file to make sure the charge does not go through, and yet today the person I got is saying there are no notes backing this up. Beyond frustrating. I will try the social media avenues, but I don't understand why I should have to, since the YES app is there for customer service help. 😞 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Ssoooooooooo........
My phone was returned today.... in the flimsiest packaging I have ever seen..... to find that there are now scratches on the screen.

Thes escratches were not on the phone when I handed it in to the store. What a shame I didn't take photos... as there is now no way I can prove this.....

REALLY NOT IMPRESSED
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Currently in the same boat, had a Samsung S9+ for about 3 years, and went in store to get it upgraded, got upgraded was told by the manager of the store that the phone was in very good condition, only a minor scuff to the metal boarder nothing on the screen, or back, as I had a dbrand skin on it which basically protected it from all scratches. Transfered all my stuff from my old phone to new, and that was that. Until I got the damage fee message. Messaged back on the Optus app on the same day I received the message, they said they will look into it, 5 days pass, get another message saying I didn't respond to the message and will be charged the damage fees. Of course get back on the Optus app and wanted to find out what was wrong with the phone I returned, saying they had to check it out with the warehouse, which I then left them to do, and couple days later got an email saying that the phone has been assessed as damaged and will be charged, even though the phone was returned in good working condition. Been a couple weeks of back and forth, even being told to go in store where I returned the phone to get them to put a note to waive the charge, but still see the upcoming bill to be with the damage fee charges, messaged back again and they are saying they have to take a look again from the warehouse. Honestly very frustrating and tiring at this point, and keep thinking that the phone must've been damaged during the transport from store to warehouse, and wouldn't be surprised if it was from reading this thread, absolute poor service.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sorry for the long post, just needed to rant somewhere
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

No need to apologise.

We all get that stuff ups happen. No matter how good the system when you're dealing with 1000's something going to go wrong sometimes. Where Optus really lets itself (and its customers down) is in how it handles this inevitability. Instead of noting something has gone seriously wrong and passing the matter to a dedicated team of trouble shooters that take ownership of the matter and have the ability to sort it out. That also keep in contact with the customer along the way. In stead of that Optus just let the matter drop into some sort of vortex leaving a customer to hit wall after wall of non and mis information. It takes weeks if not months to get simple answers.

@chandle, Optus should be providing you with a damage assessment (including IEMI number) with photos indicating what the problem is. They should be doing this as a matter of course on all assessments but at the very least for those that request it.

I would suggest you make a formal complaint. Write or Use the complain page and you should get an official complaint number (if you haven't already). If Optus can't satisfactorily identify and prove their claims then they should proffer a full refund immediately (i.e. pay you what they were going to try fine you). If not then forward the complaint to the TIO and let them work it out for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey @petergdownload, thanks for the suggestions, I will be filing a complaint, they really do need to fix their system for tracking down a phone. Like a simple photo taken at the returned store by the employees to show the state of the phone before the transfer to the warehouse would be easy to do. This really just feels like a scam scheme to get people to pay more for something they didn't do.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Just a note that you did factory reset the phone and took off any password login? If not that will flag as damaged. Otherwise good luck tracking it down.
0 Kudos