cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Returned lease phone assessed as damaged

@petergdownload I came across this guide which may help understand how the warehouse determines their damage assessment. Note that is is a guide:

Grade B - This grading is classed as repairable. The damage fee is $229.

Functional test / battery

• Functional test failed one or more of the below:

turns on
display lights up
touch-screen responsive
charges
camera works
buttons work

• Battery is not swollen
  • No device lock (Find my iPhone, Android lock, etc.)
  • No screen locks, PIN locks, passcode, etc.
  • Can clear customer data and reset device

Cosmetic condition housing / display

• Minor parts such as power button or SIM tray missing / cracked is allowed
  • Slow response touch-screen allowed
  • More than 2 deep scratches
  • Large chips, dents or cracks on front glass allowed, as long as it hasn't caused LCD damage / bleeding
  • Chips, dents and cracks allowed on the:

Back plastic / glass
Front glass
Corners / edges

• Extreme abrasions allowed
  • Front display coming away from the body of the device allowed

Electrical part issue

• Buttons hard to use or work intermittently
  • Home button / fingerprint sensor failure allowed

Note. These issues will be assessed and confirmed as out of warranty or in warranty. In warranty defects will be repaired at no costs to the customer.

Grade C - This grading is classed as beyond economical repair. The damage fee is $499.

Functional test / battery

• Functional test failed - doesn't power on
  • Functional test failed two or more of the below:

display lights up
touch-screen responsive
charges
camera works
buttons work

• Battery is swollen
  • Battery is a high temperature during use / damaged
  • Locked device (Find my iPhone, Android lock, etc.)
  • Cannot clear customer data and reset device

Cosmetic condition housing / display

• Non-standard or non-genuine parts
  • Liquid damaged
  • Bent / cracked / crushed device
  • Port, jack or connector:

Corrosion
Bent / broken pins

• LCD damage / bleeding allowed
  • Partial or missing display

So perhaps something as simple as returning a phone in good working condition however it was returned with device/screen locks generates a $229 "damage" fee. Either way I agree it's a process that should be looked at and have forwarded this thread on along with a couple of others for process review.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thank @Ray_YC,

Always interesting to gain an insight into process. What struck me first up was how generous the damage allowance is. Missing buttons and SIM trays, two deep scratches, front display detaching? , large chips and dents all OK. I can't imagine any such phone would be resellable and obviously the posts here have nothing approaching that kind of damage. I sounds plausible the lock is triggering the fee. It should only be Apple phones that are possibly affected by this (as the lock can't be easily bypassed). I don't think enough prominence is given to this possible expensive oversight (although Optus do mention it)

The customer should be told to make sure that they Turn off Find My [device]. This should be confirmed if at all possible at the hand over stage. But if it does hit the factory like this then in this circumstance the owner should obviously be told the phone is locked and given a chance to fix the problem. My suggestion would be the phone is sent to their nearest Optus store and they can drop in an unlock it (if it can't be done remotely) - possibly a $20 postage fee?

Aside from that I don't really have an issue with how Optus decide on what the damage fee should be. The contract says its 100% up to them. The problem at the moment is more in how this is communicated to customers. No explanation or details given and just five days to respond (when they can't get through).

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

My pleasure, I thought you would be interested to know.

Customers are definitely told, well are supposed to be told, about turning off locking features enabled.

It's even mentioned in our How to return your leased mobile device page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yep. Its there. I believe there's a pot it in option too which means a possible gap in telling them. I suspect there's just a lot of people that would do a factory reset (of an Apple) and assume that's completely wiped any security and locks (I did until I just looked into it now). Anyway hopefully the people in the relevant departments benefit from your frontline observations 🐵
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me two days ago. The phone was NOT damaged when I returned it to the Optus store. I even have an Acknowledgment Receipt from the store that states there was no physical damage. This is unbelievable.  I am waiting for a resolution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Funnily enough I have just had this occur as well.
Returned phone. Absolutely no damage as has been in case with screen protector and always in handbag.
I am suspecting Optus don't want a glut of old phones they will have to get rid of so offer to buy back for basically the same price as to fix it. If there was any damage it would be far less than any available on the secondhand market. Now they are getting us to sell as they can't be bothered whilst charging us money!!!!

Not impressed optus!!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@sharlswa 

@rachtheprincess 

Was it an iPhone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

No. Samsung
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am also a victim of this non consumer friendly process from Optus. 

I returned 2 devices in March which were assessed by Optus in the store and verbally being told they were  in 'good working order' and I am now being threatened with over $800 in charges to buy the devices back. 

Optus provides no detail, not ability to review, no ability to dispute and only one way communication options in the form of do not reply emails and text messages. 

The service team are many days late in getting back to me with any detail on the alleged damage and reading through this forum, I am not hopeful they will be helpful. 

Has anyone had any luck in challenging these claims and getting to a reasonable outcome? 

I am keen to know which path to take without wasting more tie going around in circles with customer service. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Argh just when  I thought I  had some success with this issue, it all goes back to square one.
So, I had some progress with this issue after contacting the customer service chat maybe 6 seperate times? They finally admitted that they had made an error and my device was not damaged, and told me they would cancel the damage fee charge to my account. 
Well.. Of course the damage fee still shows up on my next bill, so I follow up on this 3 TIMES to ask for it to be removed. Each person promises they have added a note to my account and will not be charged this damage fee. 
Today, 10 days since my last communication with Optus, I  checked my YES app, and notice an overdue bill for $299 damage fee  - this has me worried as I have had perfect credit history and never had an over due bill, ever. Now I am contacting optus again via the YES app chat, and I am back at square one, with them saying they need to contact the warehouse to get confirmation of the damage to my device.  I should just cancel my Optus plan and switch to another provider.
I'm sorry all of you are having the same issue, and I am sorry I can't provide hope in this scenario. All I can say is keep nagging them every day, as soul destroying as that is 😞 

0 Kudos