Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Returned lease phone assessed as damaged

It is a very opaque process and again Optus seem to keep developing services that are very likely to leave customers upset and bewildered.

$51 is a strange amount. The most common item is around $200 for replacing the screen. General small scratches are apparently fine. Can't think what $51 would possibly be able to repair?

You could do an official complaint to Optus to ask what is going on and also have the fee removed. Might work. You could also then move on to the TIO. Not a lot of effort (write a letter to Optus and fill in the TIO online) but up to you if its worth it for $51.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Same thing is happening to me right now! I had to return a leased device which has spent its whole 2 years with me in a hardy case with screen protector. Not a single scratch, worked perfectly, returned with the charger and headphones in perfect condition. 
I got an email and text saying that my leased device has been assessed and is either damaged or not in good working order, and that I have to pay a damage fee or $305 to keep my device. Also, if have to respond with paying either of these fees, or in 5 days time, the damage fee will be automatically taken from my account. 
This is a total scam. I think they send this out to everyone who has returned a leased device, in  the hope that people won't follow up on it, and just pay the fee, or the fee will be automatically taken and people won't notice. 
Super frustrated as  I  can't get any customer service people to actually help. They promise they will follow up and send me a photo of the damage in an email, but the email never comes. Soon it will be 5 days since I received this threat, so the fee will be taken and then I  will be chasing a reimbursement. Total scam. Shame on you Optus. 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I don't think its everyone. It does seem that Optus don't have a great tracking / quality control process and every now and again random people get pinged incorrectly (someone else is possibly being notified that "their" busted phone was in perfect condition and no problems.

Its strange Optus have put a 5 day time limit on a response. That seem unnecessarily harsh even when they could be contacted.

They do send out photos and a damage report eventually. Any amounts they take can be easily re credited later on if needed. Not ideal but just keep chasing it up every few days.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am currently in the same process. Kept being told I am going to have to pay $499. I think I will cancel my direct debit so they can’t just take it out of my account until I get an explanation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You should get a bill before money is taken out. I'd generally suggest you pay the bill if you can afford it. Optus will reverse it later if needs be (or ordered to by the TIO). Good Luck. Let us know if you get a damage report.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am experiencing the same thing! This is actually the second time this has happened to me as it did on the previous year as well. The last time I did this I got the same message saying there was damage and I had to pay $300 to have it fixed. I didn't see the message for past the 5 days so was not able to contest it. 

This time i was so wary of trading up again that I took photos and videos of the phone turned on and off showing that its in absolute immaculate condition, there was nothing wrong with the device not even scratches as it was in a hard case. Then today I receive a message saying that I have 5 business days to pay a $275 fee for damage... What damage? I asked optus and they cant tell me. 

If you are charging someone $275! you should at least have the cutesy to tell them why? I have been told they are following up with the "warehouse" as everyone else's posts mention and I will have a response in the next two business days. 

I will not be paying for this as its an absolute sham! 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have some follow up news regarding this problem. 
Every customer service person (on the chat) told me that they had to email through to the warehouse to get them to re-check what was wrong with my returned leased device, but of course I never heard back. So every day for a week I messaged again and again to follow up on it. 
Two separate employees told me to keep chasing this issue, as Optus have poor tracking system on returns, so it is very likely to be a mistake. 
What I could not believe is that Optus does not have a system in place where a returned leased device is assessed when they receive it, and if deemed damaged, they should take photos or videos of the damage as proof, and save that proof in the customer's account, so it can be easily brought up when you ask about the damage. 
So, they had to find someone who could literally go and find my device in the warehouse to check it over again. Needless to say this did not happen. 
I finally received a phone call (I know! Lucky me!) explaining that there has been a mistake, and my returned device is in good condition and not damaged. 
Then I had the issue of getting this charge removed from my bill.... They promised that I would not be charged the $229 damage fee and there is now a note next to my account not to charge me. Surprise surprise I have since been charged the damage fee, despite Optus agreeing that my returned device was not damaged, and that they had made a mistake. I am now battling to get this charge reversed. Grr. Huge scam!! This is happening way too often for it to be genuine mistakes!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unbelievable. I don’t know how they get away with it. I got in contact with them within the 5 days specified via their chat and also over the phone however today I received another text message saying;

OPTUSMSG: Hi, since you haven't responded to our last message regarding the assessment of your leased device, you will be charged a damage fee of $499”

Even though I responded the very same day. I’m so annoyed and frustrated about the whole situation. They obviously try and pull this on everyone. It’s only the damage fee that seems to change.
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Optus, this seems to be happening way too consistently to be a couple of wayward errors. I realise its not deliberate but perhaps someone should be looking into the processes (and people involved) as there is something systemically wrong here.

At the very least customers should be receiving the damage report upfront when they also get sent the news that they are going to be charged. It might only be a single line description but also a photo as appropriate. The IMIE nunber of the phone in the picture should also be provided (and customers told to record this number before they send the phone back to them).
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

im currently going through the same thing my phone was perfect when returned the optus store assistant that took my phone even agreed when it was handed back not only did i hand it back the day i got my new phone it has taken over 2 months to get to this stage optus chat is saying only the store can help me and that they should have received emails stating the damage and that the manager can dispute it i wont be paying anything even if its added to my bill
0 Kudos