Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
chandle
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Returned lease phone assessed as damaged

Short answer, yeah they ended up resolving the issue by having the damage fee paid through as credit for my future bills. Long answer, they were so roundabout it though, had to go through much just to get to that solution, messaging the bot, contacting customer support, going back into the store multiple times, and just to get it reassesed as still damaged, and just when I thought I'd just have to deal with it, they ended up calling me and telling they can just put it off as credit to pay my future bills, which I was pretty satisfied with, but to go all through that trouble, nah not again.

0 Kudos
SukottoScott
New Contributor
New Contributor

I'm both glad and also disappointed that I am in the same boat as other people. 

I returned an iPhone XR in perfect working order. No scratches or dents or other physical damage anywhere. And the same message in return stating that we need to pay a damage fee of $499 or keep the device for $652.

I immediately queried this, and received a message back stating that there were white spots on the OLED, that these are considered a defect, and if returned out of warranty are considered damage. 

Firstly, an XR has an LCD screen, not an OLED, so I don't know what was being assessed. I also know that my phone didn't have white spots - as someone who works professionally with high end video equipment that would have driven me crazy. They sent a photo which doesn't show anything. 

Even if there was a defective pixel/s, which I don't believe there are, I also don't know how a manufacturing defect can be considered physical damage, as per the criteria on the internet.

After being an Optus customer for twenty years, with all our phones and internet with them, I am extremely disappointed and incredulous about this process. It feels like an attempt to try and get money off us, just like real estate agents do at the end of lease. If my XR is considered damaged, I don't know how any phone would pass. 

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Hi @SukottoScott, thanks for reaching out. We can definitely follow up on your leased device return for you.

We'll just need you to send a message through to us via the My Optus App or our Facebook or Twitter pages. We'll then be able to verify your details and check this out for you.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Kartika

Sorry if you feel that way @rarahmorris and we appreciate where you are coming from. We can definitely get in touch with our leasing team to get a report of your handset and assist you further. However since this is a public forum we can`t access customers account details here. As such your best to contact us via the → messaging service to look into this for you.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
rarahmorris
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me, @Kartika. I tried using the messaging service but I was told that there was a "delay in responding at the moment". I will call tomorrow and hopefully sort this issue out.

0 Kudos
Lisa1969
New Contributor
New Contributor

Did you have any outcome with this? @SukottoScott @Kita134 

I am going through the same thing as I see many customers are. 

Returned the phone, got a new iPhone, then told later the phone I returned had a crack and screen burn when the store staff examined the phone and didnt say those were an issue. I also had the phone in the toughest otterbox case I could find. 

Now I am told I have to pay nearly $500. 

I am going to take my long time business with Optus away but will now be hooked into charges as I just got the new phone. The whole process seems dishonest and not fair trade at all. 

Will be reporting to the ombudsman. 

Lisa1969
New Contributor
New Contributor

I totally agree @rarahmorris 

There was nothing wrong with me phone when returned to the store at Chadstone. 

The staff member wrapped the phone in the A4 sheet of paper that was printed out to say I returned the phone and walked out the back with it. I distinctly remember thinking that didnt look safe and what if it slid out and dropped. 

An hour and a half online chatting now, I was told by Nigel from Business Relations that they can only take the warehouse staff's word for it that the phone is damaged. When I mentioned that when the store staff took the phone from me it did not look like it was going to be handled safely he said he is sure the store staff would have. How can he guarantee that?

I would never have got a new phone and now be locked into that if there were known issues with the phone when it was returned. This whole leasing process / system is unfair.

Now to report to ombudsman and never do business with Optus again after a long time of mobile phone, business landline and NBN. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Nard_YC

Hi there @Lisa1969. Sorry to hear you're going through this situation.

While the staff at the store can have a general look at the device to see if it's ok to send off, the phone's condition is ulitmately assessed by our Assessment Team at our Warehouse who are trained technicians to assess and provide an official grading of the device.

With regards to the handling of the device at the store, when the devices are prepared to be sent off to the warehouse, all care is taken by staff and appropriate packaging methods are used to prepare the device to be sent off. The packaging of these devices are usually carried out in the back-office section of the store.

If you're struggling to get assistance or clarity around your situation with our Care Teams, please send through a Private Message to our official Optus Facebook page or Twitter page and the team can investigate this further for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"There was nothing wrong with my phone when returned to the store at Chadstone."

Mix ups do happen. Staff damaging the phone after drop off much less common. For others reading it is always suggested you take some photos noting the phone condition before its returned (Optus store staff should be doing this and forwarding the images to the customer email or at least suggesting it.)

@Lisa1969, you can request a damage report be sent with a photo showing the damage for confirmation. While in theory a screen crack might be done later, screen burn is not something that staff could have done.

Note you can leave your current Optus mobile contract any time without penalty. You just have to pay out the phone now instead of over 24 months. Going on a 12 month prepaid SIM would save you a lot of $$$ over a post paid plan these days.

I suppose you can contact the TIO but they are mostly interested in if Optus followed the contract and unfortunately the Leasing Contract you agreed to put ALL of the risks and costs of the phone on you and gave ALL of the judgement authority to Optus. They were very bad plans and I believe shut down almost overnight due to the large number of individuals that were mislead over their benefits.
0 Kudos
Robertwl
New Contributor
New Contributor

This has just happened to me today. Except my bill is $500!! For a pretty much brand new iPhone XR. I took photos on the day of return (the very same day I synced it) and sent it via customer service messages. I work from home permanently for almost 6 years now. It was a great phone in great condition. The message service staff weren’t interested in helping at all and told me to go to the shop I returned it at.....apparently they can’t help either and.how can I do that during a lockdown ?....the lady on the app didn’t reply me and ignored me.
Called Optus and was told even though I have photos they could just say it was something internal!! What on earth is this? I never knew Optus was running open scams with customers. I’ve been with them for almost 10 years via a business contract. I didn’t even want this dam Felxi contract, they tricked me into renewing onto it via the messages customer service app. I think I’ll be moving providers after this and telling anyone and everyone to stay clear. Scandalous daylight robbery Optus.