Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Returned lease phone assessed as damaged

I returned a phone after 18mths that I had been leasing which was in Perfect condition and worked fine (I have upgraded to next model iPhone) and I was notified nearly 6 weeks later that it had been ‘assessed as damaged or not in good working order’.  My options were to pay $448 for damaged or buy phone for $620.  As I returned a perfectly good phone I contacted optus the day I received the first vague text  message to find out what exactly had been assessed as damage/not working as you aren’t advised of exactly what is wrong with it. That was nearly theee weeks ago ..   I have called optus at least 4 times being told they would contact the warehouse to find out and call me back ...I have live chatted at least twice with the same promise and even getting some completely incorrect information one time saying the warehouse hadn’t even received my phone ... I have also been to the local optus store twice ...all adbvising me they will contact the warehouse and call me back. Not one call back and I still don’t know what is actually wrong with this phone ...which has been sent back to me!  I just want to know before I pay anything..I have gone through what optus provides as the definition of good working order and as far as I’m concerned this phone is perfect .. so whatever it is it has to be so minor that I’ll be challenging the whole thing. I just want to know what is wrong with it !!!!!   Why is it so hard to find this out!!!    Crap serevice !! Especially for a customer of over 20years and has all my services including two mobiles with Optus!!!! 

34 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Returned lease phone assessed as damaged

One of the downsides of leasing is having no control over the return process. Optus tells you your options and you pick which one.

That said they can't be complete Richards about it. At this stage I suggest two options.

1) Easier - As your phone is in almost perfect condition is probably worth more than $620. Take the buy offer and sell it for more on eBay. Done.

2) Write a complaint to Optus. Pen and paper complaints are a more rigorous process. You'll get a complaint number etc. And hopefully a good response. Perhaps include some links to hd shots of the phone exterior. Hopefully you get an answer.  If not then forward complaint to the TIO and they should get Optus hoping 

Unfortunately contractually there is no obligation on Optus to explain their decision but hopefully the will. Worst case you can go option 1 any time.

On the damage, $450 means major damage. In the absence of lots of exterior damage could it have water damage? There might be a phone app you can download that tests all the systems which Optus will have also run through. For example possibly touch sensor damage or pixel failures? Sound? Etc.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

You certainly shouldn't have to go to that much trouble to find out what that is the case, TahnsC.

We’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.
If you have a social media account, I would suggest to send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.

At the very least you'll have the one person/team looking into it and won't have to keep repeating yourself.

Let us know how you go.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @TahnsC 

Did you ever get a response? 

I'm getting the same run-around on my end and the email I initially received from Optus said I only had 5 days to respond to them. 

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi jlkennedy1992,

Just in case TahnsC doesn't return, they did mark my response as an Accepted Solution so recommendation would be to contact Optus that way.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

This just happened to me also! Instore I was told TWICE at two different locations before I recontracted with a new plan and number that the phone looked good, a manager even assessed it and accepted it. The phone was in perfect working order minor VERY minor scrapes but nothing on the screen and still 86% battery, has been in a case. Why suddenly are we all getting these texts that it hasn’t been accepted? I have returned a phone in the past and never had a problem??
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@hanwhano ,

Unfortunately its not a negotiable position. You agreed to return the phone in a condition that Optus finds acceptable. Apparently they don't. Are they saying that the phone is nonreturnable? In which case they will just bill you the buyout figure (that they determine). 

It does sound like the phone wasn't in bad nick though. No water damage? Same phone (IMIE)? No unauthorised repairs? 

You'll need to contact Optus directly.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Exactly the same thing has just happened to me. Returned a fully functioning phone with minimal wear and tear. Received a text and email that the phone is damaged and I am liable for any repair bills or pay $195 and shut up. Absolutely nothing wrong with the phone when handed in. 

Spoke to someone at Optus who said she would call me back within the hour of following up with the Service Department. Still waiting for the call.

I am surprised Optus don't lease phones anymore as it seems a great way for them to make a quick dollar. Evaluate a working functional phone that a customer has handed in, in good faith, tell the customer it is damaged. It must be damaged as that it is what the Optus Service Department has said. Bill the customer whatever Optus feels or tell the customer to pay $195 and they can have the phone Optus have damaged back.  

When speaking with the Optus Customer Service rep (who still hasn't called me back) she said she can't do anything about the upcoming charges as they aren't on my account yet. One option I could follow, is to call back when Optus have charged me for the phone they have damaged and then dispute the charges.

UNBELIEVABLE!

I am hoping the Optus shop I gave the phone back can help me otherwise I will have to find another provider.

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi hanwhano,

As suggested, please try contacting Optus via the suggested option for further assistance. We'd love to give you answers here however don't have access to customer accounts here on our public forum.

Hi SW68,

Not sure what you mean by the Optus Shop helping you, with regards to the unbilled charges or the assessment of the returned phone? They wouldn't be able to with the former and unlikely to with the latter. Please also contact Optus if you haven't received that call back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

It happened the same to me today. I got an email and txt where they said my phone has been assessed and it is damaged. They charged me $51 which probably it means they couldn't find anything but they still tried to get some money out of it. I just had a live chat with the customer service and they just told me to go back to the store where I returned the device.

The thing that really upset me, it's not only the phone was immaculate (even the guy at the Optus Store said the same), but that Optus charges you without basically giving you any explanation about the "damage". The matter is definitely worth a call to the Obudsman, since it looks like they do that often.