cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

keefygeorge
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Returned incorrect order to optus for replacement order and now my replacement order is being refuse

I placed an order back on 04/04/2020 and made a mistake when selecting the phone. The order was delivered very quickly without any issues and my service was activated. when I received the order I realised I had ordered the wrong handset and contacted support to discuss my options.

I was advised that changing my order was fine and that I would be sent a pre paid return satchel to return my order. I was told that this could cause delays in my order anywhere from 5-7 days. I asked if it would be faster to cancel my order and place a new one in an attempt to have a phone as fast as possible as I have no other means of contact at the moment. I was told that this was also an option or I could also visit a store to get the replacement order sorted out.

I received the satchel and returned the original order 146688061A To the optus warehouse and placed the correct order again on the website. The correct order sat pending for seven days. I have spent roughly 10 hours on the support messaging platform since I placed the new order. I asked every day for information and wasn't able to obtain it or receive my correct replacement order. On Thursday I had to take time from work as the support messaging char went on for 5 hours and I can't afford that kind of distraction while working so I put in for some time off to get it resolved. Once again no one was willing or able to assist after 5 hours of waiting for assistance so I lodged with TIO who advised me that Optus have until the 8th may to resolve my complaint which is to receive either the updated replacement order with the correct handset and plan, or return my original order to me that I sent back to the warehouse. I have to be contactable for my grandparents who may need to contact me in an emergency especially during this COVID-19 pandemic. This whole situation has put my family at major risk. Then I ask on the support messaging platform again today and get told my replacement order has been declined and cancelled even though I followed all of the instructions provided to me by Optus only to end up empty handed with nothing but a iPad to message family and colleagues. The support person I spoke to today said I didn't need to worry and assured me that I would receive the correct order and that they had submitted my request for the corrected order and plan as a matter of priority. I left it with them to take care of and the chat timed out and we lost contact and I didn't receive any kind of confirmation for my replacement order or any email or anything confirming m,y order with a new order number. I also noticed that the order has now been removed from my account and I am concerned that again this issue is going to go another day unresolved and I am looking at another week of the same problems. TIO have responded and said that Optus has been made aware of the issue and that it must be resolved. I have since updated TIO with the new information about refusing to supply my replacement order and that my grandparents are now at a major health risk without being able to contact me in any case of an emergency. I am hoping this will escalate the issue on their end as I was expecting a resolution and found out my order had been discarded even after confirming the process that I followed was fine.

I am expecting that in the worst case Optus will send me back the original cancelled order since the replacement order is now being refused. I have made the same request clear with TIO that Optus accepted my order, supplied the service and handset, and then later refused to supply the replacement order even though I was following the advise of optus support. 

It is also such a shame that I have to ask such private questions in an open forum due to the lack of empathy or care from the private messaging service. I am a long term customer of more than 10 years and have spent countless money yearly on optus services. You have happily taken my money every month without any kind of issues right up until now when I need the support more than ever. I am hoping that by opening this thread that someone from the optus team may take some consideration to my problem and resolve it for me. The support person confirmed today that my original order had been returned and received by the warehouse. This simply should not be happening and I am hoping we can resolve this asap and get the order to me that was already agreed apon

0 Kudos
24 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Returned incorrect order to optus for replacement order and now my replacement order is being re

You really shouldn't have sent back the phone.

Optus really don't do change of situations well in good times and at the moment they're completely snowed under with very limited resources and many many people with issues.

If your concern is about your grand parents then you need to sort that out yourself now. The TIO and Optus will muddle through to a conclusion (institutions take weeks and months to resolve issues). So just buy a $50 handset and a $20 prepaid SIM and that issue is sorted.

Your original order (the one after the mistaken order) will either be cancelled or fulfilled.
0 Kudos
keefygeorge
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Returned incorrect order to optus for replacement order and now my replacement order is being re

, sending my order back was the mistake I made, in fact placing an order in the first place was the mistake. Then cancelling out on my replacement in the middle of a process that they advised I follow to get my order replaced is quiet ridiculous regardless of limited resources. Somewhere along the line one of the support staff cancelled my order. I have been waiting for over a week for this order to be delivered. And then they tell me now after seven days of me asking about it?  

I would like optus to honour that contract that they initially provided and then later refused. Sure I can go buy a crappy pre paid handset and probably could have that same argument for every plan I have ever had and never had issues with. I have over 10 hours worth of transcripts of me trying to get their support staff to provide information on this order for over a week where they told me over and over that there were some delays and that it would be processed. So yes I am rather annoyed and feel all of this could have been avoided. There is no harm in me placing an online order, and returning for a replacement is completely within my right as a consumer so I am not sure what you are talking about?  But anyway instead they wait until my original order hits their warehouse and then cancel out my replacement order. So unfortunately I would like them to return that original order and plan which was already agreed to. I would not have returned it without their advise which has left my in this position 

0 Kudos
keefygeorge
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I also feel like I should re iterate that the support staff again today told me on the support messaging platform after my order was cancelled that I I did not need to worry and that they would make sure my order was sent out. So I am again left waiting to see what the outcome of that is going to be as I am left to believe that it has been, or will be resolved by early next week. The messaging service timed out while I was waiting for further instructions so all I have at this stage is their word that they would resolve the issue. I am doing as TIO advised and reaching out for optus support any way I can. I am not comfortable with waiting another week to get this sorted out and I am not keen to go out shopping for a pre paid handset especially not before I know what is happening with my case. 

I would really like actual confirmation other than a screenshot of support messages where I have been lied to all week.  If I am being told still today that my order will still be delivered even after being cancelled then I think it is reasonable to ask for that to be confirmed. 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@keefygeorge wrote:

and returning for a replacement is completely within my right as a consumer so I am not sure what you are talking about?  

Actually, as you made the mistake when you ordered the product you do not have a right to a replacement. The product was not faulty in any way shape or form, you just ordered the wrong one.

Optus are allowing you to change your order, but were not initially required by law to do so, and are now bound by the new return agreement.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"and returning for a replacement is completely within my right as a consumer" 

As @YetAnotherAcc  says, honouring a change of mind return is completely up to the company.  

I 100% sympathise with your support merry go round. Optus appear to have set processes in place to achieve an outcome (Like deliver a new phone), but once that process is altered then its a maze that the customer seems to have to navigate themselves. Staff don't seem to have access to systems that are connected. Often they will just make something up to explain what is happening. Those that do have some options can try to helpfully amend things (its likely your order was "cancelled" by someone trying to jump start the process manually) 

I wish I could say this is all because of the virus, but chasing orders down rabbit holes is something too many Optus customers have to do. Unfortunately no person seems able to take ownership of the whole issue and instead it gets shunted off piecemeal. 

My suggestion to by a cheap phone is only motivated by fixing your immediate problem which you said was urgent, not absolving Optus of their supply chain problems. In all likelihood you're still weeks away from a resolution (particularly as communications involve the TIO and Optus and the Virus, etc.) I'm surprised you're getting as much actual contact as you are at the moment.

0 Kudos
keefygeorge
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc Actually under consumer law you have to provide any services you advertise and a change of mind return, and placement is one of those perks advertised by optus. Yes I take ownership of putting in the order for the wrong handset, but I also returned it unopened and untouched. I really didn't come here to argue with people. I am very well aware of my consumer rights, and it is a shame people obviously just let companies take them for granted. You might be someone who can just let it go, but Optus entered in to a contract with me when the said I could replace the order. I also have a copy and transcript for all of that. So I am quiet confident in my case being resolved. Optus have advised me through the support chat platform that my order would be sent out as a priority and I have sent the same response through to TIO as my expected enforced resolution. They made those statements quoted below after becoming aware of me contacting TIO and that is the resolution I am happy with. They are now bound by law to honour that statement. Another thing I feel I need to explain to you is I asked support what my options were and followed their instructions. I didn't send the order back and then demand a replacement. If I was told at that time I had no options I would have a phone wouldn't i? If they said to me sorry we don't accept returns and replacements do you think I would have returned the order? No I would have just stayed on that handset. Feel free to go research it your self. Imagine if you were told by a parking inspector to go ahead and park in a parking spot, and then they walked up to you while getting out of your car and fined you. This is a very similar situation where they provided me with options that created this entire issue.
See quoted:

" please do not worry on this i will re submit your request again on hig priority and will follow up for you and will make sure you get the new handset.

As the issue came to me today so I need sometime from you to deal with it.

Due to less staffing I am unable to contact the back end team for you but not to worry as I I have taken commitment here to have this resolved personally than giving up to someone else and have this messed up again.

I will call you on Tuesday.

Request you to please confirm you want now 

Device ###

New Number

Plan ##

"

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus don't "advertise" a change of mind policy that I have seen. They have one but it is completely at their discretion. Its not a consumer law right only a process that they state is up to them if and how it proceeds.

No one is letting companies walk all over them, but its surprising how many people confuse a value added extra with a right. However that's not really a factor here. Optus have agreed to what you want, the only question is how to get it. Al my posts have been trying to tell you is that your original post looking for some sort of response is misdirected (Optus won't respond to you here, other than to tell you to call Optus.)

I guess the next step is that you wait until Tuesday and fingers crossed you get a call. Let us know if they come through for you.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@keefygeorge wrote:

a change of mind return, and placement is one of those perks advertised by optus. 

In that case I stand corrected. Not that many companies offer change of mind returns, end even less pay for the Item to be returned. I knew Optus accepted return if the customer refused receipt of the product regardless of the reason, but was not aware that they had a publicly stated policy for change of mind returns.

@keefygeorge wrote:

You might be someone who can just let it go,

Nope, I am not. I am well aware of my rights and certainly do not let companies trample over them.

In this can I just wasn't fully aware that they had that publicly stated policy for change of mind and hence my response was not a clear as it could have been. For that I apologise.

0 Kudos
keefygeorge
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc no dramas, 

Even without that policy though I am aware that it is not my legal right to change my mind after making a purchase. The part I am disputing is the fact that I came to support prior to returning and cancelling my order and asked what my options were. I chose one of the options presented to me and I even asked several times during that conversation if I was likely to have any issues doing the replacement this way. I was assured every time that there would be absolutely no issue. So I basically made a decision based on the options that optus presented to me and as mentioned, I never would have returned the original order if support were not miss leading. If I was told at that point that my new order may be refused or delayed I would have just waited the 5-7 days for them to reissue the order after the original device had been returned. I never treated returning the order for a replacement as my right. I was just trying to expedite the replacement time.

That is one law they have broken here and that is providing miss leading information that ultimately led to my decision of cancelling the original order and placing the correct one. They could have told me at that stage when I was asking if this could possibly happen. 

I didn't realise that Optus do not monitor these forums though. I guess I will just keep this here for my own records, and for anyone else that may experience similar issues. I will post back the results of my case for anyone who is interested. 

It could just be that customer support lacks the proper training, and are not aware that what they say to customers is binding.

0 Kudos