cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Responding via SMS

Hi,

I recently got a message from a standard mobile number (my understanding at least), being in the format of +61480 ### ###.

I'm actually happy to respond even though I have no idea who they are, considering the content of their message.

I'm just worried that people can charge (scam) my mobile account for sending texts to certain numbers. Is this only the case when you're texting special subscription numbers (e.g. something like 601300, not that I've ever used one of these services), or can people set up standard mobile numbers for the same thing?

To put it simply, I just don't want to be sure I can't be charged for responding to this person with a normal mobile number.

I'd be happy to further explain if this doesn't make sense.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Responding via SMS

I just want to be sure** haha oops

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The premium SMS scam could be triggered by just such a simple response. But that has recently been stopped by all telcos including Optus (after a decade of complaints)

More the displayed number is meaningless. People can call from Africa and it will show up as a NSW landline number.

But responding should be harmless. My main concern is that unsolicited contacts are almost always either sales or scammers. See where it goes but keep a very wary hat on. Don't visit any links or provide any personal info.
Highlighted

Hey @JoeyD

If this SMS was something along the lines of your account is overdue or your recharge didn't go through right and then gives you a link to pay now, they also end it with 'Optus Billing Team', then it's a scam. There has been recent spike with these that we're seeing and we are aware of it. Best thing to do is delete the SMS and do not open the link or provide your details to them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No links so I don't think it was a scammer but you've always got to be careful of that.

It seems that it was a Christian trying to save people from paying for their sins in eternal hellfire. He says that he sends "to random numbers".

Thanks for your responses.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You have been chosen then 🐵
0 Kudos
Top Contributors