cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Removal of Optus Leasing plans

Optus is a massive company (a subsidery of of an even more massive global corporation). Premium SMS were let go only after the threat that they might become unprofitable / massive fines. Now Optus are the last to drop egregoius leasing contracts (although not on FetchTV units yet). It still smacks of a recalcitrant teenager shuffling along.

Time to take the lead Optus instead of playing catchup. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

So the only problem I ssee is people wont pay the $399 for a Fetch mighty outright.

If a monthly "rental" is included in the plan then asking people to further fork over $399 doesnt happen.

What do you want them to do?

Dont want the product/service then your free to choose someone else.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You're totally correct that people are always free to choose someone else, my issue is where the choice is not made clear. In the case of Fetch units many customers would think after several years at Optus they would take ownership of the boxes. Mobile leasing plans were marketted in a similar way IMO. 

FWIW I'd expect the boxes themselves cost Optus much less than $100 wholesale (Optus charge a $250 non return fee if you don't give them back). All I'd like to see is a clear option being given when people sign up to the plan:

1) You can be provided a free box that must be returned when you leave Optus or

2) You can pay an extra $10 a month and take ownership of the unit after say two years.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I based my price on iinets pricing fir the mighty fetch box - thats what iinet wants to be paid for the box.

Foxtel is another example - you never own that box.

Sure your limited to use only foxtel on it but the same rule applies to fetch. 

Telstras iq4 boxes have/will get netflix playback so they are branching out. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!