Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Sucker
New Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

This whole thing is misleading BS.

I took my phone in after 12  months and they said I couldn't do the trade up for $99 because there where minor scratches on the corner of the device from where the case (which I put on within minutes of getting the phone a year earlier) had rubbed some grit on the painted chasis. 

So I stuck with the phone for another year only to be left holding it with now a cracked screen. The solution is apparently to pay optus for the repair, then pay optus for the value of the phone after already having paid $95 a month for 2 years.  WTF is the point of this leasing BS?

Occasional Contributor StephLR
Occasional Contributor

I'm not really sure why we weren't emailed this information so we could make a choice about what we wanted to do before being forced to upgrade to a non leasing plan.

Why weren't people on leased plans emailed and given sufficient warning to make a change to their conditions before they had no choice? I've only found out about this cause I googled how to update my leased phone and this post was made just days before the leasing options were removed. Less than a week to act... Why weren't we sufficiently notified so we could've updated for $99 and no have to resign a non-leased contract? When will Australia introduce 12 month contracts?

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi neterciser,

The $99 same fee looks to apply to Hasty's scenario as it depends on the plan.

Yours may be $149 if you are on a different plan.

Apologies if there was any confusion. It is mentioned in the "Nitty Gritty' on the Optus New Phone Trade Up page.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi StephLR,

This is an announcement that Optus is ending offering Leasing Plans from the 22nd of July.

Those customers currently on a leasing plans still have the same original conditions. You can upgrade for $99 returning the phone in good working order 🙂 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Sucker,

If the phone isn’t in good working order you’ll pay a damage fee up to $499 and can then upgrade. 

if you're still in the contract 12-24 months you don't need to pay the phone value.

You mentioned you've been on it for 2 years, what part of the lease period are you up to?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor StephLR
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ray, 

It isn't the $99 ... it's the resigning to another 24 month contract that I don't want to do on a non-leased plan.

New Contributor Laneway
New Contributor

Why were customers on leasing plans not advised of this change?  Like someone else here, I had to Google to find out my options to upgrade to the new Samsung Note 10, only to find I can't lease now? What the?

I don't care about my options. I get what they are. I am disgusted that your customers were not given ANY notice whatsoever. 

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Laneway,

@AlistarS and I acknowledge your feedback and have raised this with the project team and will provide an update as soon as we hear anything.

0 Kudos
New Contributor GabblesTheSting
New Contributor

I have been an Optus customer for years and I’m very disappointed to hear that the leasing plans are no longer provided. I am currently on a $125 plan for 200GB of data a month whilst leasing my phone. For the exact same phone and data I will have to pay an additional $55 which is very unfair. People like to upgrade their phone every year and leasing was a good way to do that because not everybody likes to keep their phone after getting a new one. I’m not sure why Optus got rid of leasing plans but I sure hope they bring them back because this is not only very disappointing to hear but a poor move from Optus regarding the customers that upgrade their phone every year.  

New Contributor Climba
New Contributor

Gee I’m so glad Optus signed me up to another lease contract 2 weeks before stopping them altogether and then choose to tell me this only now via text... 1 month after stopping them.  I know you have my number...