Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Sucker
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

This whole thing is misleading BS.

I took my phone in after 12  months and they said I couldn't do the trade up for $99 because there where minor scratches on the corner of the device from where the case (which I put on within minutes of getting the phone a year earlier) had rubbed some grit on the painted chasis. 

So I stuck with the phone for another year only to be left holding it with now a cracked screen. The solution is apparently to pay optus for the repair, then pay optus for the value of the phone after already having paid $95 a month for 2 years.  WTF is the point of this leasing BS?

StephLR
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm not really sure why we weren't emailed this information so we could make a choice about what we wanted to do before being forced to upgrade to a non leasing plan.

Why weren't people on leased plans emailed and given sufficient warning to make a change to their conditions before they had no choice? I've only found out about this cause I googled how to update my leased phone and this post was made just days before the leasing options were removed. Less than a week to act... Why weren't we sufficiently notified so we could've updated for $99 and no have to resign a non-leased contract? When will Australia introduce 12 month contracts?

Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi neterciser,

The $99 same fee looks to apply to Hasty's scenario as it depends on the plan.

Yours may be $149 if you are on a different plan.

Apologies if there was any confusion. It is mentioned in the "Nitty Gritty' on the Optus New Phone Trade Up page.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi StephLR,

This is an announcement that Optus is ending offering Leasing Plans from the 22nd of July.

Those customers currently on a leasing plans still have the same original conditions. You can upgrade for $99 returning the phone in good working order 🙂 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Sucker,

If the phone isn’t in good working order you’ll pay a damage fee up to $499 and can then upgrade. 

if you're still in the contract 12-24 months you don't need to pay the phone value.

You mentioned you've been on it for 2 years, what part of the lease period are you up to?

0 Kudos
StephLR
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ray, 

It isn't the $99 ... it's the resigning to another 24 month contract that I don't want to do on a non-leased plan.

Laneway
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why were customers on leasing plans not advised of this change?  Like someone else here, I had to Google to find out my options to upgrade to the new Samsung Note 10, only to find I can't lease now? What the?

I don't care about my options. I get what they are. I am disgusted that your customers were not given ANY notice whatsoever. 

Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Laneway,

@AlistarS and I acknowledge your feedback and have raised this with the project team and will provide an update as soon as we hear anything.

0 Kudos
GabblesTheSting
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have been an Optus customer for years and I’m very disappointed to hear that the leasing plans are no longer provided. I am currently on a $125 plan for 200GB of data a month whilst leasing my phone. For the exact same phone and data I will have to pay an additional $55 which is very unfair. People like to upgrade their phone every year and leasing was a good way to do that because not everybody likes to keep their phone after getting a new one. I’m not sure why Optus got rid of leasing plans but I sure hope they bring them back because this is not only very disappointing to hear but a poor move from Optus regarding the customers that upgrade their phone every year.  

Climba
New Contributor
New Contributor

Gee I’m so glad Optus signed me up to another lease contract 2 weeks before stopping them altogether and then choose to tell me this only now via text... 1 month after stopping them.  I know you have my number...