Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
FarmerZach
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

Why was I not notified by email to changes in my plan?

It appears this has been an issue for a couple months now and all I’ve received is a text message that was sent this morning informing me that I need to get online to see changes to my contract. Only to get online and discover Optus aren’t going to be honouring the contract I signed at the start of the plan, imagine if the customer was to not honour said contract. This is the sort of BS I’d expect from Telstra, hence why I’m no longer a customer of theirs. I’ll be making a complaint to the ombudsmen and I hope enough people do that Optus is held to account. 

Dantheman2u
New Contributor
New Contributor

My issue is that I entered a lease agreement with Optus and after 12 months, I can pay $99 and upgrade to a new phone. This is now longer the case as I have to now move to a new contract in which I will, at the end of the period, own the phone. This is not what I signed up for. I don't want to hold the phone for another 12 months before handing it back, which is what they are trying to force onto us. We should be able to pay the $99 and walk away from the contract after 12 months as they can no longer honour the contract.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Falseadvertisin ,

"states that I can upgrade to a new phone after 12 months of leasing this phone if I want to. No mention of an extra $50.00 if I am to do this after 12 months"

The sales conversation should usually refer you to the CIS as part of the sign up process (and should be read in conjustion of it). The $99 upgrade fee has always been present and nothing has changed (You can upgrade to a new phone in 12 months). I'm not sure why you feel you have been "suckered". 

I'd take the $99 as a cheap reminder that when signing financial contracts you should at the very least carefully read the Critical Information Summary (CIS). Your's would be similar to this one

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@JaxA 

Did you go to the site mentioned? It explains your situation (unchanged) and future options. 

You missed a word but I assume it was "ends"? On September you can take up any of the options shown in the link above. 

1) Hand the (undamaged) phone back and just walk away.

2) Get a price from Optus and buy the phone yourself (Make sure you move onto a much cheaper SIM only plan with Optus or elsewhere) 

3) Pay $99 and sign up for a new 24 month Optus plan (get a new phone that this time you won't have to hand back at the end)

Personally I would suggest Option 2 might be the go if you're currently happy with the phone you have. 

0 Kudos
Dantheman2u
New Contributor
New Contributor

@petergdownload 

The $99 was to upgrade the phone, not the contract, which is what Optus are forcing us to do.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Tgang ,

Your contract has not changed. You have essentially the same (better) options as you had before. You can still upgrade your phone every 12 months for the upgrade fee if you want to.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Falseadvertisin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Peter Gillespie

That is not my issue somene was saying that you have to pay extra to upgrade after $12 months which I object to. If it doesn't remanin at $99.00 then that is where Optus is ripping people off.

Why are you defending them. You must work for Optus??

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@FarmerZach 

Gosh Optus have made a mess of this. I think the main problem is that most people do not understand that:

1) Their contract has not changed.

2) That they can still just pay the early upgrade fee and keep upgrading a phone every 12 months if they want too. 

3) The new deal leaves customers much better off in general.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Dantheman2u 

Its hard to keep up with the number of people that have got the wrong idea. Your agreement with Optus is unchanged. 

You still have the option to pay the early upgrade fee pick an eligible plan and upgrade to a new phone every 12 months (which is  the same as what you signed up for)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Dantheman2u 

Hard to juggle to conversations Smiley Happy. The $99 was an early upgrade fee (available after 12 months). It always existed in all Optus plans (lease and non lease). But it also always required you to sign a brand new contract for another 24 months if you look up that option. That part (and all parts) of your contract are unchanged. As mentioned in all CIS:

Flex Upgrade
These plans include the option of upgrading early to a new phone on a new contract. After 12 months on these plans you have the option to pay a one-off fee of $99 return the original mobile handset to Optus in good working order and recontract on a new eligible 24 month plan.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos