Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Slimhome
Occasional Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

It IS the cheapest as long as

A. You do not damage it.

B. You do not want to sell it at the end of the 2 years. But this should really read like this: you don't want the hassle of trying to sell it in the used market.

This might be a too difficult task for many but for me, I have only broken the phones screen only once (And trust me, it was an old phone that I could afford to throw away by the time I broke it) and the rest of the phones (about 7 or more if you include tablets) are in drawers around the home.

So for me, it was the cheaper option.

Occasional Contributor Cmac11
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, is the CIS number the critical information summary plan ID?

i know when I signed up there were huge dramas that needed to be fixed by the Facebook team. I was sent multiple contracts. My CIS does talk about lease charges but on my bill next to lease charges it's $0.

I find talking to the team on FB I get a clearer answer. Whereas everywhere else it's just totally confused and I get different responses from everyone.

As I said my initial sign up was a mess! There were computer issues in the Optus shop, I was sent multiple contracts, charged fees I wasn't mean to be charged and all off this needed to be corrected by the FB team.

The day I signed up to what was a lease and I have received messages about the lease ceasing. Was the day my own phone had been stolen off my desk at work.

it was a confusing day. It seems everything about my contract is confused!

So I appreciate your assistance.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yep that is the CIS. FWIW Face book seems to be where Optus are stocking their crack service people so I would try them first for resolutions.
Peter Gillespie
Occasional Contributor Cmac11
Occasional Contributor

Yup will do, it was the FB team that said it would be just $99 if the phone is returned in good condition and I can then go on a sim only plan with my own phone, so will go with that and if it needs to be corrected then will seek their support to get it rectified. 

Thanks for listening and commenting.

New Contributor abypby
New Contributor

Hi Optus,

I have just returned my leased phone in good working order less than 3 weeks before the end of my lease plan. I have received a bill for $145.45 which includes $99 device early return fee and $49 "equipment payout: ownership transfers upon payment".

I was not advised at the store that there would be an early return fee and equipment fee so close to the end of the lease on 26/11/2019, and how am I paying equipment payout when I don't own the phone? You said you were ending the lease plans and that I should take my phone into the store for return or I would be continuously charged the lease until a cut off point. I would have obviously waited the last 3 weeks of my lease to arrange to switch to another network.

We have been disappointed with Optus ever since we had been advised that you were disconnecting our ADSL line and we must have NBN installed before April this year. 

By the third appointment of NBN contractors, who were still non the wiser about how to connect the wire from the street to the house, we cancelled the order to have NBN installed to the rental premises.

The third pair of NBN contractors that visited the house, as arranged by Optus, and whom I trusted within my home, STOLE MY HUSBAND'S TRIUMPH MOTORBIKE KEYS that were kept just above the ADSL connection and equipment, along with the padlock key to the back gate.

At 1am the same night, the back gate was discovered to be open, padlock missing, the motorbike had been stolen and there had been no breaking and entering. The police were called and a statement made. The bike has since been seen in a police chase after fleeing a petrol station without paying. The NBN contractors were the ONLY other people to have been inside the house. It is circumstantial.

These further charges are the last straw, and I will be contacting the ombudsman if you are unable to honour these charges. I returned the phone because you advised that you were ending the lease plans, and now you have charged me for returning the phone!

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Wow. That really sucks about the motorbike, I hope the police nail the contractor (but IME unless they confess its unlikely to go anywhere unfortunately). Just a note that the contractor would have been sent by NBNCo and Optus have no direct relationship with them.

The early return fee should probably not have been applied. Technically the charge is correct but the rep could have saved you a few $ doing it differently. Your CIS would have been something similar to this one

Essentially with a lease plan the customer is bound to payout the full agreed value of the plan (so the whole 24 months worth) Finishing 3 weeks early triggers the $99 early fee. What should have happened is you just hand the phone back and advise the cancel date as of three week in the future (that would have meant no further charges (or just the last bit of your standard plan.)

Note that Optus haven't said they are ending your existing lease plan. That remain unchanged. They have only announced that they are ending offering any new lease plans. So there was some miscommunication there.

At this point I reckon it would be worth contacting Optus Billing (you can't do anything via this forum) and explaining that the contract wasn't exited early and the $99 fee should be removed. Tell them to calculate any exit $ based on you just finishing your contract at the 24th month.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

PS Did you get the NBN connected in the end?

New Contributor abypby
New Contributor

Thanks Peter, very helpful. I had assumed I would pay the bill as normal until the end of the lease plan and finally wash my hands of Optus.
No, we moved and have NBN ready to go, so it's fallen on the new tenants to endure and no doubt they are unaware that the property has not been connected. We tried a temporary mobile internet dongle knowing that we were moving.
I will try contacting billing directly.
Occasional Contributor lizzie1540
Occasional Contributor

The fact that Optus actually asked you to return the phone means they don't have a leg to stand on with regards to the 'early return' charge.

As for the break-in, Optus of course will deny any knowledge and say it's an NBN issue.

I do agree with you, this whole end of leasing business has been so poorly planned, information (separate from these pages) has been nothing less than abysmal. My lease still has five months to run, so I shall make sure I return it on the expiry date and not before.  Anyone recommend an affordable/efficient alternative for mobile connection?

0 Kudos
New Contributor abypby
New Contributor

My most positive experience with Optus yet... both charges were very quickly credited to my account by lunchtime today.
Thanks for your suggestion to contact billing directly, which I did via the chat.
New Contributor thachnga2002
New Contributor

I don't understand why a big company like Optus tried to cheat their long term customers to earn few more $$ by forcing their customers into a leasing plan. My family  have been with Optus for nearly years. In December last year I signed up a new plan in an Optus store. I chose the highest plan that was the same cost for both leasing and owning a phone plan (e.g. if I  would pay the same plan cost for owning the phone or leasing a phone), and of course I selected the owning a phone plan. However, the sale person advised me that if I picked the owning a phone plan I had to pay extra $10 per month, I asked why, he said that was the rule. I told him the information on the  Optus website (online sale) showed no difference between owning and leasing plans for the plan I had chosen, he said that was online sale only. Then he advised if I picked the leasing contract I would need to pay only about $180 to own the phone (Iphone X) after I finished 2 years contract. So, he recommended  that a leasing contract would be better than an owning contract.  I needed the phone urgently (so couldn't sign an online contract) and I believed him, so signed a leasing contract in store. When I walked out of the store I felt like I was cheated so I  made a chat with an online sale person right away. I found that the guy in the store lied to me. In fact there was no difference between owning and leasing plan for the plan I had selected either online or in store. I came back to the store immediately and talked to the sale guy. He admitted that we gave me incorrect advice and asked me to fill in a contract amendment form, and told that he would email me the new contract (owning a phone). Waiting for few weeks without any reply from the store, I came back to the store to ask about the amended contract, the ale guy  said that as I had signed the contract, they could not do anything. I sent a complaint to the head office of Optus and also chatted with the optus customer services they all said the same that they couldn't do anything though they accepted that I have been cheating by their sale persons. Now I found that some of my friends had the same problem with Optus. The truth is after you have paid $125 per month for two years under a leasing contract that included more than  $1000 for the phone repayment, I have to pay at least another $600 to own an Iphone X. What a big liar and cheater you are, Optus. 

Yes, you would better cease this kind of cheating leasing contract or you would lose a huge number of customers.