Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor woodwi
New Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

So you are a contract lawyer then? If not please stop speculating, demeaning people, and involving yourself in a thread where virtually everyone has made clear that they find your comments not helpful and generally misinformative. I have read my contract, line by line, as I do with every contract I sign, before I sign it. So I know exactly what I signed. Stop speaking about things you have no knowledge of and making assumptions about people you do not know. 

I have also read eveything you have written in this entire thread and there has not been a single piece of useful information you have provided, other than to chide people for not being as smart as you, demean them for their foolish spending habits, and obfuscate the actual language in people's contracts.  Stop replying to people unless you have solutions for them. Otherwise, be quiet. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor woodwi
New Contributor

@Charlotteupton 

Thanks for this. I have made a complaint with Optus, received a complaint reference number, and now filed a complaint with TIO. I appreciate your help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@woodwi 

And yet once again you don't make any substantive comment?  If you have an issue with the contract (and we're not talking the 2 page CIS here but the 10+ document and 100+ pages contract - maybe you should be a contract lawyer if you've read all of that?) I would love to hear where you believe it has been changed (or broken)?

Similarly I would love a quote or two showing where I have mislead or been mistaken or even been impolite. That's the great thing about forums - they tend to be self correcting (when used properly). 

My last post quoted the one from the page before and echoed your current suggestion almost 100%. If I'm always wrong then I'm not sure where that leaves you?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Cmac11
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ray,

I was told this information via FB messenger and now I see it here.

That if I trade in my phone after 12 months, hand in my phone in good condition and move onto an owed handset plan that it will cost me $99.

i was told I could purchase the ownedhandset from anywhere such as Apple and do this and keep my current number. However, it seems that individuals in the shops don't know this. I'm worried that they will charge me cancellation fees and then I will need to go through the drama of contacting the team on FB, who are amazingly knowledgeable to waive all the fees.

How do I ensure this doesn't happen to me?

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

You have a few options

1) At 12 months you can hand back the handset and move to a new 24-36 month "owned" phone plan with a new phone (this plan also has a $149 upgrade option if you like those, or pay it out and keep the phone). Note until 25 Oct Optus are waiving the $99 upgrade fee (so its a straight swap). Click on a phone here and look at the plans

2) Wait until the 24 months is up. Then hand back the phone in good condition and go get another phone and perhaps another provider. This option has no penalty fees etc. You can port your number out at the 24-26 month mark to any other plan (Optus or Other) in the usual way

3) Unfortuntely if you do anything other than 1 or 2 about you will be liable for the remaining handset costs (plus any discount Optus has been applying) and plan costs and possibly a cancellation fee - basically its not worth doing

4) Having said 3 above, there are a few reports here of raising a TIO complaint and then when you are contacted insist you just want to hand the phone back now and walk away without penalty. Its unknown if this will work in most instances but an option.

Your option of purchacing a handset (in full?) from Apple and then linking it to the Optus plan doesn't sound right. You can do that if you are just walking into a store and signing a new contract but in your case you are using the Early Upgrade option which is contractual and has specific restrictions. As I see it you would:

1) Wait until 12 months is up

2) Order a new phone on the Optus website via the link above (preferably before 25/10) 

3) The order will ask if you want to port the number from another plan and you enter your number

4) Get the phone and activate it.

5) Requst Optus send you a satchel or try instore and hand /post back the old phone.

6) In a few weeks Optus will tell you if the condition is fine or if you have to pay $250 or $500 for repairs and add that to your bill (there is no negotiation on this)

7) Continue on.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, 

Many thanks for the detailed response. Do you work for Optus?

I asked this question to Optus in a multiple different ways and that was the response I got from the FB messenger team. They even consulted with colleagues and came up with the same response. $99 - bring own purchased phone and move to a Optus sim only plan. She even said I could purchase it from anywhere including Apple.

I have it in writing.

cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Optus response

Thanks for sending those details through, Christianne. I've taken a look at your account and can see that you're currently on the $59 Promo Flex which expires on the 23/07/2020. As you've mentioned you wish to return the phone, there'll just be a once off fee of $99 to trade in the handset, given that the handset is still in good working condition (more info here → http://bit.ly/2J9e34f), then you'll be able to go onto a SIM only plan.

You will need to head to your local Optus store to organise this return, so please ensure that you've backed up all your data as the phone will be wiped once you hand it back in. Our retail agents will also be able to talk you through our SIM only plans and discuss what would be most suited for you.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, let me know - Kim

My response

Hi Kim, so it will only cost $99 in total to terminate the contract and no other fees and then bring my own phone to a Sims only plan when I return the phone. Is this correct?

Just want to ensure the information is correct before I purchase a new phone outright and go in to the store and return your phone. Just $99 is all I need to pay to terminate contract. Then go on a sim only plan.

Optus response

Hi Christianne, as my colleagues have advised, your first port of call would be to head into an Optus store to have your phone assessed. From there, you can decide if you wish to hand your phone back in, this will depend on whether the store assesses your phone as "in good working order".

You can purchase your phone from anywhere, however if from another telecommunications provider. the phone will need to be unlocked before it can be used with an Optus SIM. If you're choosing to purchase from an Apple store, then it will be unlocked and you'll simply need to insert your Optus SIM and you'll be ready to go. If there's anything else I can help with, please let me know. Chris.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Timmb
New Contributor

I have contacted Optus to lodge a complaint with them (I am still waiting for a case manager to get back to me within 10 days). While talking to their staff they told me that one of the reasons behind Optus discontinuing the leasing option was because they had realised that the leasing option in most cases would result in higher costs than the own outright option. This is in direct conflict with their sales staff selling tactics. The sales staff that sold this to me, sold it as the cheapest option, and I am aware of many other people who were sold the leasing plan in this way, up to the day before they stopped it. 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Christine,

I think the confusion here is that you are not on a lease plan. That's great btw as you are free to hand the phone back and pay $99. 

At that point get a phone from anywhere else and get a SIM only plan etc. If you wanted to get a phone from Apple you could sand join another iris pay ment plan in store etc.

Note of you keep you phone for another 9 months then it is paid off and yours to keep (or sell). I'm a bit unsure here though. From what I can see you are on a standard phone plan paying off your phone to own over 24 months? Not a lease. This is the first thing to confirm with Optus if you could. 

Most Optus plans allow you to cancel after 12 months but you still have to pay off the handset component for the months remaining and you keep the phone. 

Your plan might be one that allows you to just hand the phone back in good working order. I'm on my phone so can't look into it much more at the moment. Might try tonight. Be good if you could find out the CIS number of your plan. That would answer all questions.

So, lease or no? CIS number? Would you own the phone if you kept paying for another nine months?

These are good questions to ask Optus

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

PS No. Just a fellow customer like you.
Top Contributors