Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor gleto
New Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

Hi, I am coming up to the end of my 24 month lease plan. I spoke to an Optus rep and asked what the conditions were when it was time to return the phone. They said that I just need to return it in the satchel that is sent to me.

I asked the question about the condition of the phone and they said it doesn't matter as I would have completed the 24 months. But reading the details in this post, it seems if my phone has damage apart from normal wear and tear, I will need to pay.

Can someone please clarify this for me.

Thanks,

G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You are responsible for returning the phone in good condition. If there is any damage then you will be charged for it (they just add it to your bill after inspection). You'll also be given a buy out cost if you want and can buy the phone. Essentially anything more than minor scratches will attract a fee - you won't know until you send it in.

1. can power on and off.
2. has a fully functional touchscreen and battery.
is not physically damaged (e.g. does not have liquid damage, cracked, discoloured or bleeding screen (LCD) or casing, does not have any missing buttons or damage to other components such as charging ports or SIM tray).
3. does not have any missing, disassembled, customised or non-genuine parts (this does not affect your rights under the Australian Consumer Law).
4. is not cracked (including the touchscreen) and does not have any severe scratches (normal wear and tear such as light marks and scratches are okay).
5. has any locking features disabled (for example, find my iPhone on iOS devices).
6. is not IMEI blocked.
7. is the phone you purchased from us under the mobile equipment plan.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor gleto
New Contributor

Thanks Peter, Yes I had read that, but what confused me was when the rep on the phone answered my questions by saying that the condition didn't matter if I completed the 24 month term.
The part that I don't like about this agreement is that I have phone insurance and could get it fixed / replaced before sending it back, but the IMEI would change then.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah, the rep said the wrong thing. It only doesn't matter if you intend to buy the phone off Optus. Optus has a fixed price for all devices / ages that doesn't care about damage (since you owe them an undamaged one anyway). So you could get a buy out figure.

As to sensibly using your insurance yes, leasing sux. Getting it repaired shouldn't be a problem (as its
Optus Insurance) but if the opt to replace it then you will likely be unable to return the phone. That's not the end of the world as you can probably sell it on eBay for more than Optus will ask you to pay outright for it. Its just a bit more hassle.

How much damage are we talking here? Are they likely to need/want to replace the phone?

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Kris_ace73
New Contributor

My pin number to un lock phone is 1111
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Emilyfairlie
New Contributor

I would like to pay the damage fee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So you want to hand the phone back? If that's the case you can just arrange to do that via a store. It will be assessed and you will be given 2 options:

1) A buy it outright price (unrepaired) and you get the phone back
2) A damage fee (and Optus keep the phone)

Depending on which you choose the amount will be added to your next bill.

Peter Gillespie

PS This is a public forum. You'll need to speak to Optus direct to settle phone repairs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor dizzymike
New Contributor

Has anyone been successful in moving from the lease plan to a SIM only plan for $99?

@Cmac11 , were you able to go ahead with this? They're now saying that I have to go on another fixed term plan, which is very frustrating!

I got on the lease plan to be able to cost-effectively upgrade my phone every year, which I am now not able to do. If I'm unable to move to SIM only, I'll move off Optus entirely at the end of my contract - very dishonest contracts and advertising.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not much point to moving to a SIM only plan when you have given your phone back?

Moving to a new phone plan has always been your only option with the early upgrade fee (lease or no lease). By definition you are handing back your phone and getting a replacement one. On both the lease and no lease plan you had to select a Optus 24-36 month plan.

Essentially nothing has changed except that instead of still not owning your phone at the end of this next contract you will now own it in full instead of still being on the poorer value leasing plans. Optus has increased their plan prices so you will no doubt see a $10-$20 per month increase for this next 24 month contract. You can go SIM only after that.

Note that there have been some reports of people insisting that they were mislead when they signed up to leasing plans and told they were better value than own your own phone plans because they came with a $10 discount each month. If you stick to your guns and demand the leasing contract simply be ended with no further penalties (you still need to give the phone back) then it possible they'll just let you exit the contract altogether.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor dizzymike
New Contributor

Just an update for anyone else interested, I cited these two posts to the optus team and they agreed to cancel the contract, have the phone returned and waive all fees associated:

Post 1: 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Removal-of-Optus-Leasing-plans/m-p/587022/highlight/true#M67...

Post 2:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Removal-of-Optus-Leasing-plans/m-p/586688/highlight/true#M67...

Top Contributors