Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
TheWolf
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

Hi Peter,

I have no intention I bring you to tasks on any aspects of what you have put forward in your forum posts.

I draw a line in the sand to say that how arguments come from different perspectives and never the twain shall meet.

I don't plan to be involved in the upkeep or the development of Optus policy and marketing changes. It is simply a matter of diverting loyalty from place to place where the market leans at any given moment.

This doesn't just go for Telcos, it goes for banks, utility companies, Internet providers etc etc etc.

At the end of the day contracts are contracts. I neither have the time, the energy or the volition to read through mountains of fineprint. 

It is very feasible and likely that Optus policy is in check in this particular case. My choice now is to bite down on it or to switch providers. Given the fragile and unintelligent state of major corporations across the board in Australia it is simply a matter of rolling the dice and spinning the wheel with a blindfold on and taking a pick. Once another company comes up with a new fad I will keep shifting. Simple.

All the best mate

Duped
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sure Peter, writing lengthy replies so that previous posts are harder to access?  Please.  Who are you kidding?

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Duped ,

So that's my grand plan? I think I'd be kidding myself if I thought that. Smiley Indifferent Once again though you've focused on anything but the content of my posts. The length of them? Who I might be employed by? The number? I've yet to read an articulated point of issue. As you say I've written plenty, surely there must be something specific you could call out as incorrect?  

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Duped
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The fact is, real people come here to check if there are others in the same situation they are in and they want to see what they can do about it.

You not being Optus staff makes all your posts just noise.  Lengthy, irritating noise.

Duped
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re-posting from previous pages:

Our rights:

https://www.choice.com.au/electronics-and-technology/phones/mobile-phones/articles/mobile-phone-righ...

from @PervySage 

How to make a TIO complaint: https://www.tioonline.com.au/consumers/new/

from @gqgrant :

If anybody else is unsure on the process, feel free to follow the link through, or if you have any feedback from Optus please also share in this forum.

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I agree 100% (about the people coming here - real or otherwise). They are concerned and looking for answers (and of course wanting to yell a bit). That's why I've spent some time trying to work out what they are concerned about and clarify the practical options they have moving forward. The great thing about forums is people can pick the replies they feel are helpful and ignore the rest.

I often recommend the TIO. As a tip you should write to Optus complaints first. Pen and Paper still carry more weight (legally) and Optus generally responds within 14 days and more importantly a complaint number. In this case I'm not sure the TIO will be of much assistance. But the squeaky wheel approach can get results so no harm trying, just wouldn't put much hope in it up front. From the links you've provided for example, the TIO specifically states 

• They cannot help with what services a provider does or doesn’t offer and
  • You must have tried to resolve the issue with your provider before we will deal with your complaint.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Sucker
New Contributor
New Contributor

Same here, been with Optus for longer than the sales person had been alive. Not too mention the one who REFUSED TO LET ME DO THE $ 99 upgrade after 1 year due to scratches.

0 Kudos
Fii
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi All,

An update on me experience with reporting through the TIO. I'm happy with the outcome.

I first called Optus, and was told that my only options were to

1. pay the cancellation fee $472 and lease fee $99

2. pay lease fee $99 and sign up to a new own a phone contract for 24 months $90 to $115 per month

3. continue with the same phone for the next 12 months.

So I made a complaint to the TIO as I felt none of these options were fair.

When sold this contract I was sold that at the 12 month period I could upgrade my device for $99, meaning I'd pay the same amount per month for the last 12 months. They have since told me that at the 12 month period I would've always been signing up for a new 24 month contract. I stayed adament that this is not what I was told my the person selling me the plan in store.

When Optus called me to follow up the TIO complaint they kept going back to saying i signed the contract that states in the terms and conditions that it would be signing a new 24 month contract at the 12 month period. I kept saying that is not what I was sold by the sales person, which I promise you it was not!

Anyway this person from Optus started giving me options, and little deals, such as I'll waive the cancellation fee if you buy the device for $750 (Samsung Note 9) and join a sim only plan, she offered it without the sim only plan too in the end. The offers did get better as I kept saying "No, that does not seem fair to me" which they all weren't fair offers! She asked what I wanted and I said I'd like the plan I was sold, otherwise I feel like I should be able to return the device at the 12 month period (Sep 15 for me) and walk away from Optus, I also told her I didn't want to stay with Optus because they've screwed me over. I said I'd be willing to pay the $99 to just walk away. She spent about another 15 minutes offering other stuff until she agreed to what I asked for.

Why didn't I want to stay with this device and plan for the next 12 months? Well because a phones condition goes down with time, keeping it for a further 12 months increases the risk of it not being in perfect condition when it's time to hand it back. (My phone is in like-new condition still)

TLDR;

Complain, say no to all offers that don't seem fair, I'm returning my device at the 12 month period for $99 and wiping my hands clean of Optus.

Slimhome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Let us know the outcome of your complaints please.

0 Kudos
Slimhome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So have you heard anything back?

0 Kudos