Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

Hi @Anne07 ,

Optus generally don't respond (or do so sporadically) on this forum. You'd be better asking on Facebook or livechat for the info but for what its worth the new plan pricing depends on which phone you use with it. Just select a phone you are interested in here and the plan prices are all listed below.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
pm7778
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Duped mines been lodged as well

gqgrant
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Anne07 - Don't bother with LiveChat or Facebook, they are bots and not real people.  Feel free to have a go and laugh at the ridiculous auto responses they provide.

@petergdownload why don't you check with your manager, mate.  See if you're allowed to login as a staff member to provide a formal response instead of pretending to be a supportive and caring customer.

Falseadvertisin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Despite the leasing issues, which I am over it now. Just going to deal with it later. Optus you have the worst website ever to get information aobut your bills or account information. Can't open anything. Fix the bloody thing!!! Geez after all you have all our money. 

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@gqgrant 

You think I'm acting supporting and caring? Smiley Happy

As I've said to others in the thread perhaps focus on the content and not the bias you might be searching for. But yes, definitely take anything online with a grain of salt. Anyone could be a dog. If you can be bothered look at some of my former posts you'll see I'm happy to take Optus to task for several of their egregious business practices (Premium SMS scams, Unstoppable Data Top Up fees and Leasing plans are all on the top of my bug bear list - My Manager has gone for the day so I can say that now Smiley Happy)

But I think all my posts generally contain info on questions people are asking based on information Optus has provided so far. This is page 15? and I think @Fii is the first person to suggest I've said anything factually incorrect (although she has yet to explain what she thought was incorrect). I think everyone's getting a good airing of their grievances? 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
15years
New Contributor
New Contributor

Regarding your lease changes give me a good reason I dont finish the 2 year lease tell optus where to go and you lose 2 customers you have had for longer than 15 years in cse you have not noticed mobile providers are not actually a scare commodity and you dont have the best network either, also my experience with the TIO suggests you may have a issue with wanting to charge for returning the phone after the lease is finished

TheWolf
New Contributor
New Contributor

I was forced to move across to Optus when Virgin Mobile folded. In as much as I am happy with the lease plan, I am more than a little bit disappointed that in order to maintain my customer base at Optus I'll be forced to pay $99 to renew my contract. This blow is further frustrating as I never chose to go on a lease plan in the first place, it was simply a default from my Virgin mobile plan.

I am happy with the service and am looking to perhaps commence a bundle arrangement, but the $99 fee to upgrade is a little obscene considering how much you will make from me as a customer with a fresh 2 year plan for a slight upgrade from a Samsung S9 plus to a 10 plus.

I find this to be poor form and should be reviewed at the next customer service and marketing meeting at the very least.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @15years ,

Lease contracts always favoured the 'dealer'. I'm curious though what 'good reasons' you think the stopping of lease contracts make you upset. By and large most posters in this thread have said they are angry that "leasing" is no longer an option after their current contract. But after 15 pages I have yet to read a post explaining why exactly. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@TheWolf 

Leasing plans were never forced (or the only option). You ended up selecting one though. FWIW Optus sneakily changed the default setting to lease plans on its website and I suspect many got signed up on a lease without actually reaslising it.

The $99 upgrade fee however has been hard baked into leasing plans from day one. Those wanting to have a new phone every 12 months have to pay it. A new $1500 phone every 12 months is something generally only rich people can afford. You are correct that a S10 is only a slight upgrade from a S9 and just keeping a fantastic S9 phone is always an option. From now, if you keep your phone for 24 months then you actually own it outright. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
TheWolf
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey Petergdownload,

Nothing of the cessation of the lease system bothers me. It is more that I never chose to go onto the lease plan, it was thrust upon me as a consequence of Virgin relinquishing their role as Virgin mobile, and that as a consequence, come the time that I now look to update at the 12 month period of my 2 year lease to continue Optus membership, that I will be charged $99 for the privilege of upgrading (which, yes is a benefit) but appears counter-intuitive as a business model. The reason here is that once I re-contract, Optus keeps me for 2 more years on a new non-lease plan and stands to make decent coin. If they had an understanding of sound business models, they would grant a free passage to a new 2 year plan. $99 is not a big kick in the face by any stretch of the imagination, but it is enough to put my nose out of joint, in consideration of the fact that I was not provided any real choice in the primary and unsanctimonious Virgin to Optus rollover.

I do really like Optus's service, and at this stage look to upgrade, however their one-size-fits-all policy leaves me a little icy. It's not the money, it's the principal. You know?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors