Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
gqgrant
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

Hi @petergdownload, as much as you are trying to be "helpful" you're really just directing people back to the original post that has landed them here in the first place.  What I think people are looking for is a solution and some feedback from Optus about how they can get some equity, as the options they (Optus) have presented aren't just. 

If we were to phone Optus and tell them we're reneging on our end of the deal and let's say, pay a reduced rate for the same service, then hang up and stop paying bills (i.e. flip a text out and ignore everybody), I'm sure they'd pursue us with full force.  All anybody is looking for is a fair go.

I attempted to resolve this issue and get some common sense out of Optus "LiveChat" Smiley LOL earlier today, and was met with blocks of text spammed at me from a bot.  When I was 'transferred' to a Case Manager, I received the same stock standard responses and no solution.

I've personally lodged a complaint with Optus and will follow the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman consumer complaint process through and I strongly suggest others do the same.

If anybody else is unsure on the process, feel free to follow the link through, or if you have any feedback from Optus please also share in this forum.

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Eljay78
New Contributor
New Contributor

Peter why are you even replying to me? I chose to lease because I didn't want to purchase the phone , same as when you lease a car.. so you can upgrade to newer models. I didn't want to purchase a phone on a contract and then own it outright, I wanted to upgrade as new models were released. If they aren't leased and aren't being purchased, are we renting them? Get f%&*#d!!!! Ridiculous. Optus suck hard.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Duped ,

"You're basically saying that not being able to offer the leasing plan doesn't constitute the need for customers to be informed properly?"

Out of my entire post you decided to focus on the 'communication' bit? I've said several times Optus do communication pretty rubbish. What I'm basically saying is that the change has pretty much zero immeadiate ramifications. Everyone's contract is unchanged and at the point when they come to renew or cancel they will be presented with their options. All Optus has done is announce that a product previously available will not be available to purchase in the future. You can't force Optus to sell you products and they can't force you to buy them.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Jesserinanne ,

Yes "good working order" is 100% defined by Optus. Unfortuantely there is no 'appeals' process but FWIW Optus have tightened up the definition and do seem to provide a reasonable definition. You can read the definition here

As you can see one component is

is not cracked (including the touchscreen) and does not have any severe scratches (normal wear and tear such as light marks and scratches are okay)

But yes, a leasing plan places all the power in the hands of Optus. One of the reasons I have long advocated they be discontinued. That said, I'd not create problems before they exist. If your phone is generally good condition then you should be able to upgrade without issue.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Timmb 

CDMA? Coincidentally I was involved in the trial of the rollout of CDMA back in the day (As a uni student they gave me a free phone and asked me to drive around an make calls) Smiley Happy

I agree it is a long thread and reading back over everything is not something many would do. 

I'm not familiar with the CDMA shutdown ruling but I'm assuming Telcos sold CDMA plans/phones knowing it was going to be shut down? Its a little different in this case as the contract sold lasts 24 months. That is all Optus have "promised" to provide. The next contract is a) optional and b) possibly different. Some appear to believe they have somehow signed a "magical" contract that lasts forever. All current leasing contracts are unchanged and after 24 months all customers can leave without penalty.

I asked the quesion of someone a little way ago, could you tell me just what it is you believe has been "lost" with this change? Don't say "leasing". What specific option is no longer available? If someone could post that information then I could either agree 100% or explain why its not the case. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@pm7778 ,

Its a business relationship. Why is an SMS linking to a full webpage any better than an email? As you are on a phone contract an SMS is almost guaranteed to reach you. The information doesn't relate to any existing contract (those remain unchanged). Its just a heads up that future contracts won't offer the same range of products. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Jesserinanne ,

I can't "verify" who I am, same as you can't. This is a public forum where anyone can chime in. More voices the merrier.

Why do want someone to stop replying to posts? Are you against freedom of speech? Do you find my posts offensive? Is there something I've posted that you find factually incorrect? (I'd love some specific response to that rather than a vague "go away and let us rant" suggestion). As I've been trying to help people (who seem under the mistaken impression they can no longer upgrade their phones every 12 months) are you an Optus employee trying to silence that? (that last one was just rhetorical - I checked the employee records and your not on them Smiley Happy)

Seriously post a lot but I'm just a fellow customer. If you'd like to ask a specific question or disagree with a specific post I've made I'm all ears. But asking someone to go away just because you don't like what they are saying (and all I'm saying is this is good news) seems pretty on the nose.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@gqgrant ,

All those options are great. My only question is really what "problem" are you looking for a "solution" too? Can you explain specifically what it is you feel has changed. As I've said many times in this thread, the current contract remains unchanged. Its available online (as is the CIS) Have you looked them up? All I'm suggesting is that this is largely a storm in a tea cup. So far most have only just angrily stated that "leasing" is being ended. Could you express what exactly it is that you you will ask the TIO to reinstate? That way I could agree or disagree (or but out).

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Eljay78 ,

Well if you ask a question in a crowded room then you can't really pick who answers. Its a public forum I'm being both polite and trying to answer your questions. But, unlike the crowded room, if you want you can just click on my name and select block member. 

All I've said is that for all intensive purposes you are still on (and can keep being on) a "leasing" plan (the name has changed, the functionality essentially hasn't). I am at a loss at why the bearer of good news somehow seems to be the one that is asked to be quiet? You can still upgrade your 12 month old phone for a new one. The next plan allows you to upgrade your new phone new one after 12 months. I agree the terms "lease" "purchace" "rent" are all a bit mixed up by Optus but the key piece of info is that things remain largely unchanged. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Timmb
New Contributor
New Contributor

@petergdownload 

The leasing option was the deciding factor for a lot of people in taking this contract. By taking the lease option the monthly fee was $10/month less, with the option to buy on completion of the 24 month contract or pay a fee of $99 to return the phone and, get a new phone on a new 24month contract. Removing the lease option forces people to pay more per month for their next contract, or pay hundreds to purchase the phone they hold. Changing the parameters during the course of the contract, and most especially, offering the lease contract while knowing that the option would be removed, is a breach of contract. As such should allow the wronged party remunerative compensation, as was the case with the CDMA ending.