Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

@Duped ,

I would say that all my responces are well thought through, individually crafted and an attempt to be helpful. Not very bot like at all? But you're free to disagree. The reason the information is repeating is because several poster seem absolutely bent on insisting their situation has changed significantly (and for the worse). Put simply it hasn't.

As I've mentioned several times (as you note), it seems many people equate "lease" with the $99 12 month upgrade option. These two things are not related. Every Optus plan has the option to upgrade each 12 months with the same terms and conditions. The only thing that has changed is that now everyone will have the option to keep the phone if they want to finish out their contract. If you want to keep upgrading every 12 months then your situation is essentially unchanged.

As for Optus communication, we'll there's no pressing need to advise customers as their contract terms remain unchanged and the changes to whats on offer only apply to when people end their lease and will be presented with the new options at that stage. There's nothing needed to do at the moment. That said Optus have it seems made announcements online and now via SMS and email. Perhaps they could have done a better job (they definitely communicate poorly in many areas IME) 

Seems these days people would rather be upset and angry than accept the win?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor FarmerZach
New Contributor

@petergdownload 

Thanks for that info Peter! 

Nothing I could find read the way you’ve just outlined things. 

Cheers. 

Highlighted
New Contributor PervySage
New Contributor

How to make a TIÓ complaint: https://www.tioonline.com.au/consumers/new/

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@PervySage ,

You're free to weigh things up as you like, but I appreciate the politeness Smiley Happy. I'd personally suggest you look at the content of my posts rather than any (incorrect) bias you might want to assume. Optus employees are well identified (although they don't seem to want to play in this thread)

You say "where as before I would just continue with my remaining payments and still only have 12 months on the lease". This is simply incorrect. I've linked the CIS several times, if you haven't already please read the section on Flex Upgrade. All upgrades require

1) 12 months to have passed

2) An upgrade fee

3) Handing the phone back undamaged

4) Taking out a new 24 month contract

5) Getting a new phone

These are simply facts. Having said that my point is that all these options remain available to customers going forward. In the past Optus generally kept prices constant for people moving to the new contract. The new plans usually only differed in price depending on if you got a better or worse new phone as a replacement. This was not a requirement just how Optus handled things previously. Optus has definitely gotten more expensive just recently (definitely time to reassess their value) but like every one else deciding to sign a new contract at Optus (and upgrading your phone means a new contract) you have to decide if you want to pay the prices.

I'll leave it there as @gqgrant is correct that I seem to be trying to have a rationale conversation with the mob (plus he seems to be the chief torch bearer Smiley Happy). I've offered a few less expensive options (way back) and tried to clarify what is going on. I've posted many (many) times in this forum on what poor value leases are, and that Optus have finally dropped them is actually great news IMO (but also kept the 12 month new upgrade option). 

I'm sorry prices have gone up but in reality the prices and data Optus has been selling the past 12 months to raise its customer base really were not going to last forever.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Falseadvertisin
Occasional Contributor

I will be happy as long as nothing has changed but after I have finished this plan Optus and I will be parting ways for sure. They are way over priced. Getting as bad as Telstra. I think I will buy a phone outright next time and use it until it falls apart. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@FarmerZach 

Feel free to post anything that you seem is incorrect or conflicts with what I've said. Have no problem being corrected. But otherwise I'm glad if you've found out what you need to proceed. Good luck with your discussions with Optus (or the TIO). 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Newdig
New Contributor

I’m with you, over ten years with Optus and getting shafted on this deal. Maybe go to Kogan, at least they don't cancel deals half way through a contract!

New Contributor Timmb
New Contributor

Hi Ray,

i feel that you may have missed the point that Jason was trying to put forward. How I understand it, Jason was asking why we would have to pay anything at all, given that Optus has changed the parameters of our contracts during the term of our contract. Judging by a lot of posts I have read in the Yes crowd forum, most people have only taken this option of leading, as it promoted a great way of have a great ongoing new phone at a cheaper rate. That option has been removed from us, and now we must adhere to terms that would not have been acceptable, if known at the signing of the new contract. 

New Contributor Eljay78
New Contributor

I also contracted 2 phone's on a lease to have the upgrade option.. I signed 24 month contract last October. If there is no lease option and you have cancelled this then I believe  we shouldn't  have to pay a leasing  fee per month because it doesnt exist..  I am going to the office of fair trading and ombudsmen. 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Eljay78 

Can I ask what you mean by "No lease option"? I know Optus have said they are not offering lease plans any more, but what specifically defines a "lease" plan that you now feel is no longer available to you anymore?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors