Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Duped
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

Love how Peter downplays all these complaints and keeps on repeating himself like a bot.

Our collective points are the following:
(1) Optus killed the leasing plans
(2) There are clearly customers who have been duped like me into taking the lease plan with no way out but to ride out the 2 year contract or pay the $99 dollar fee and take a non-leasing plan
(3) Optus failed to communicate this properly to its customers - and staff who pushed us to take the leasing plan (some just over a week ago)

Anyway guys and gals, anyone filed an Ombudsman complaint yet?  Can you help tell us how or message us privately?  Or can we file a group complaint?

gqgrant
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Dear Optus, 

Despite your fanboy @petergdownload trying to convince every rightly upset customer that THEY are the problem here, there are considerable issues with your notice. 

The issue is that I would NOT have entered into a 24 month contract if I had known that after 9 months my option to upgrade to a new LEASE plan after 12 months was going to be removed.

Now my options are:

Sign another 24 month contract for a buy-in phone contract (do not want), or

Pay out the remaining contract at an exorbitant fee for services not rendered, or

Continue to pay for the phone I intended to upgrade on a lease arrangement....

As a minimum, we should have an option to rescind after 12 months which is when the new lease discussion would have happened. 

The second item is that I have received no communication about this until today (via text of all mediums), despite plans apparently being made redundant more than a month ago. 

PervySage
New Contributor
New Contributor

I 100% agree, THIS WAS THE SOLE reason why I went to the lease plan option, so every 12 moths I could pay $99 and get the newer version of my handset.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Falseadvertisin ,

There's no "defence" of Optus, have at them as you wish, I'm simply trying to clarify a misunderstanding many are having that somehow their contract has been altered or that somehow they are now worse off than before.

As the post above mentions, all CIS state the $99 upgrade fee payable after 12 months. Your sentence isn't quite right, but are you objecting to the $99 fee becoming a $149 fee in the new contract? There's never any guarantee what new contracts and prices Optus will offer in the future. A lease plan provides specific terms for the next 24 months only. You have the option of resigning on a new Optus plan but what those terms are you need to evaluate and decide if you want to proceed. But your contract only covers the original 24 months, not some endless period after that.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@PervySage ,

"so every 12 moths I could pay $99 and get the newer version of my handset."

And you still can. I am definitely repeating myself here but its mainly because most posters are under the mistaken impression they can't do this any more. Look at the CIS for current plans. Black and white: Upgrade your phone every 12 months for a new one.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"The issue is that I would NOT have entered into a 24 month contract if I had known that after 9 months my option to upgrade to a new LEASE plan after 12 months was going to be removed."

To save having to write it all out again please just read and digest the post above. This option has not been removed. I'm not writting this for Optus sake but to perhaps allay your concern. Doesn;t seem to be taking though.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
PervySage
New Contributor
New Contributor

Shouldnt tiny cracks and scatches be considered normal wear and tear, and therefore not charged for. There should only be charges for damage which has occured through neglegence such as dropping it in the pool or large falls that resulted in the screen being greatly damaged.

Mia89
New Contributor
New Contributor

This is very disappointing - I only just found out this afternoon via text message.  

I have been a loyal (high paying) Optus customer for close to 15 years and the way they repay me taking up their suggestion of investing in a lease is to:

1. remove the offering within 9 months of signing up; and

2. send a text message over 1 month after they decide to cancel all plans.

Had I known they were going to cancel leases, I would have stuck with a 24 month plan, so I at least owned the phone never had to pay $99 to get out of something which wasn't going to exist 12 months later.  You can be assured I will cancelling my contract and moving all my employees over to another telcommunication provider after this "reward" for 15 years of loyality.  

gqgrant
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload 

Stop bellitling people and acting all high and mighty, nobody is talking to you mate.  I'm sure your pockets are well lined by Optus to be their BOT mouth piece or you seriously have nothing better to do than $**t on people in a telco forum. *Clap clap*

Dear OPTUS,

I signed a 24 months contract on the basis that I would be able to continue to lease a phone. I have no interest in purchasing the phone, and I wouldn't have signed up on this basis. 

At the very least we should be given an option to end our contract WITHOUT PENALTY after 12 months. 

PervySage
New Contributor
New Contributor

Peter, 

To do it now, I need to recontract for 24 months at a significantly higher price, where as before I would just continue with my remaining payments and still only have 12 months on the lease.

Peter I'm also going to asume that you are an optus customer service represetntative logged in as a standard user trying to diffuse the situaetion.