Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

@Antman67 ,

Do you have a link AntMan? I can't find any mention of a leas option.

Note all Optus plans come with an option to upgrade to a new phone after 12 months. These are not lease plans but in practice operate much the same way a lease plan does work. (Contract, Use, Pay, Give Back,  Get new device)

Peter Gillespie

KB1983
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yo, Optus!

Thanks for the text about this. Unfortunately for you, I signed a lease contract with you guys with one of the essential terms of the contract being my reliance on what was sold to me by your customer service representative as the option to upgrade to a new lease upon the 12 month anniversary. 

Your customer service rep in fact, talked up this point so much, that she changed my mind in relation to taking on a 24 month contract as I usually would.

On that basis, my reliance was in fact on the advice provided by your rep.

As I have provided good consideration in relation to Contract Law in Australia and Optus are breaching an essential term upon which I relied, the contract becomes subject to being terminated on the basis of breach. 

Please advise if you would like me to speak with a lawyer (myself), and/or the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@gqgrant 

I agree the Optus communicatiuon seems to have confused people more than clarified things. 

Read here for the leasing options.

FWIW there has been no breach of law, you contract remains unchanged. All that has happened is that Optus has removed some plans from future sale (your contract only lasts as long as it currently covers (about 30 months) 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'forced' 24 month contract? You signed up for the 24 month deal, no one forced you to. You are not being forced onto a new contract. You have exactly the same options now as you had before (you can pay $99 and upgrade to a new contract between 12-24 months) or you can just hand back the phone after 24 months and walk away.

Note that all new contracts include the clause to enable you to keep upgrading your phone after 12 months for a new one (exactly like your current lease one does) so even your future options remain largely unchanged. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Antman67 

$485 for a 24 month old iPhone 8+ seems pretty preasonable to me? That's how much they are selling refubished on eBay. But the good thing is you can certainly tell them to shove their deal if you think you can get a better new phone for that. You just need to hand back the phone in three months (assuming no damage like cracks)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@KB1983 

Smiley Happy I'm sure Optus always get a chuckle from legal threats on their public forum. Leaving aside the difficulty of proving just what conversation you had with some sales person months ago, the advise given was quite correct.

You still have the option to upgrade to a new plan with a new phone after 12 months. That plan includes the option to upgrade to a new plan with a new phone after 12 months. Sounds pretty much like a lease to me? 

If you like to continually upgrade every 12 months then a lease plan and a own your own phone plan operate fairly much the same (in both cases you give the phone back and pay an upgrade fee and renew another 24 month contract). However the own the phone plans (now the only option) have an additional benefit that if you ever decide you want to leave Optus or not upgrade every 12 months then after 24 months you simply own the phone and can keep it. A lease plan would still require you to give it back.

In a nutshell your contract situation (and options) have improved significantly (so perhaps no need to call in the lawyers?)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Susan_Gorman
New Contributor
New Contributor

How can I exit the contract after 12 months? I have no interest in paying an additional $99 to upgrade as this is not the offer I signed up for. I’d like to exit the plan entirely after 12 months, I am happy to return the phone as agreed. I would expect I can exit for free since you no longer offer what I signed up for?

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Susan_Gorman ,

Sorry Susan, but that is the contract you signed up for. Nothing has changed. The lease is a fixed 24 month deal. You can exit early but you would have to payout all the same plan fees (likely higher even) than if you stay with Optus that next 12 months. The only variation available is the $99 upgrade option made available after 12 months (again same as always). So you currently have two choices

Personally I'd be inclined to upgrade and then after two more years you can walk away and keep the new phone (or sell it). But that means taking up one of Optus more expensive plans.

The alternative is to just stay as you are and keep paying the lease off. You can leave after 12 months then but you don't get to keep the phone (unless you buy it from Optus) what model is it?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Falseadvertisin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I kept  the trasnscript from the Sales Person back at the end of June which states that I can upgrade to a new phone after 12 months of leasing this phone if I want to. No mention of an extra $50.00 if I am to do this after 12 months. I just called Optus Customer Service and gave them a blast about not being informed of any changes at the tiime I got sucked in to this. They bettter honour this at 12 months or I will  take it futher. Girl said that they have had numerous complaints today and that she will escalate my compliant. Yeah I don't think so. I knew I should have went elsewhere when my last contract was up

0 Kudos
JaxA
New Contributor
New Contributor

I received the following text:

Hi, as a My Plan Flex customer with Optus, we wanted to let you know that we have stopped offering new leasing plans to customers. There is no change to your current plan, you can continue to use it as you do today, although you won't be able to Flex Upgrade to a new leasing plan. If you have any questions, see optus.com.au/leasingclosure or you can contact us at optus.com.au/contactus

My current plan / contract on 19 September 2019. At this time is there any cost to me for my phone?

0 Kudos
Tgang
New Contributor
New Contributor

I also plan on doing this, if the contract is changed then I should have the option to walk away with no fee as I was not the one that changed the contract. These new options do not suit me. I signed up as I intended to upgrade every year NOT every 2 years.

Top Contributors