For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor KassH
New Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

0 Kudos
New Contributor Deckard
New Contributor

Just to confirm my understanding is correct, when get through the first 12 months of my leasing contract, I can hand back the phone (good working condition yada yada) and pay $99? After that I will just be on a pay as you go contract which I can change or break at any time?

New Contributor KassH
New Contributor

@SeeyaLater 

I had the same experience in January - took me at least 3 mths to get the issue sorted - kept being billed for services not provided then service restriction of my continuing mobile service. Vowed then and there to switch once my lease ends. Counting down the weeks now. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor MartyvH
New Contributor

Not satisfied with the change in light of the high prices of the recent iPhones and I would rather not be in the business of selling phones, especially such expensive ones. I was quite happy to ride the lease wave of a new model each year. It's the only sane way to have one of the recent iPhones. My iPhone XS is still in good working order as defined after 10 months and I'm pretty sure I'll keep it that way. I am well aware that it's not my property and I prefer that. Was it because of lack of interest?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Angel-Rose
New Contributor

I was under the impression that at the  end of a 2 year contract including handset you owned it outright as that was the extra charges each month, paying the handset off so why would we be then made to pay $500 at the end of our contract to pay for a handset you've been paying off for 2 years and paid in full???? We were given the option at the start for a SIM only plan or to pay extra for the handset to which we would own said handset at completion of the plans contract so what's changed in the last 18 months???? Sounds pretty fraudulent in my books to sign someone up under false pretenses changing the rules 6 months away from the contract ending.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Deckard

Not quite. The $99 only applies if you decide to take on a new Optus contract (another phone and another 24 months) with the new terms and costs. That's the same as its always been.

Otherwise you have contracted for a 24 month lease period. Its only after 24 months that you can give the phone back (assuming no damage) with no other cost and leave (contract over). That's the same as its always been.

If you want to leave before 24 months you will be up for the rest of the monthly leasing fees (increased buy any plan subsidy being removed) nad have to buy the phone at fair market value. (Essentially its not worth leaving between 12-24 months). That's the same as its always been.

Read here

The two main (practical) options for most leases are:

1) At 12 months pay $99 and upgrade to a new phone and new 24 month contract (after which you will own the phone). The new plan also has the same $149 upgrade after 12 month clause if you want to keep doin that.

2) Keep paying the lease off and hand the phone back after 24 months and walk away. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Antman67
New Contributor

So I thought Optus was discontinuing leasing plans on July 22?? Optus website still clearly shows phone leasing plans available now. My Wife only signed up for one last week!!! So what’s the story then?????

New Contributor Deckard
New Contributor

Ah cool, thanks, that is kind of what I expected, I guess I will weigh up how much I want a new phone at the 12 month point and make a decision.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Gcudz ,

Not sure on the exact process you are doing but if you've decided to keep the phone that sounds like a good idea given the damage will mean a $500 repair fee. I would suggest you get the screen repaired now not after the lease ends:

3. If you lease a device, your insurance cover will expire when your lease ends, up to a maximum of 24 months unless cancelled or terminated earlier

The insurance company can give you a replaced screen or they can also give you a refurbished (non new) device of reasonable condition for a 24 month old phone (I suspect that's what they'll do). Your insurance excess will be $175

Optus will probably charge around $600 for the buy the phone option I guestimate so after that you can end the lease and move to a much cheaper SIM only plan. Shop around as optus plans have increases significantly in price just recently.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Antman67
New Contributor

I’ve got 3 months left on my leasing  contract. They told me $485 to buy out my current iPhone 8 Plus. Told them to get stuffed!!!! Can get a new phone for that 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors