Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

@StephLR ,

You're right, this thread does seem more geared to protest the change. Those comments are more directed to offer a possible way forward. Some have said the upgrade plans are not as good value (and I agree) and that will require equipment and plan down grades. My suggestion was to allow the phone of chose with more data for under $45 a month. Hopefully its a good base reference but totally agree it might not suit all lifestyles.

Good luck on your quest

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@AliLovatic no where does it say "you can keep your current plan". In fact its specifically states the opposite : "You have the option to ... recontract on a new eligible 24-month plan." 

I think this is this crux of the misunderstanding in this thread. Most seem to think that they have signed a deal that will never end. That so long as they keep paying $99 a year they will get a new phone ad infinitum. Same terms, same cost. ever lasting. I'd understand the anger if this was the case but it simply isn't.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor AliLovatic
New Contributor

But new eligible 24 months plans do not include leasing plans. So I cannot lease a new device, can I? 

Buying plans are comparatively more expensive.

My contract says "Recontract on a new 24 months plan either leasing a phone or purchasing one".

But now they are telling me that I cannot lease a new device.

When I signed the contract, the salesperson told me that you can upgrade to a new device after 12 months... that's the only reason why people lease phones instead of owning them, cause we sort of pay a rent money to rent a phone and after a year upgrade to a new device. 

Buying plans are more expensive.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@AliLovatic 

"you can upgrade to a new device after 12 months ... that's the only reason why people lease phones instead of owning them"

Except Optus provide the exact same upgrade options on their buy your own phone plans. (And yes the price has risen to $149 but it would have been that on the new leasing contract too, if Optus had continued them). This seems a common misunderstanding btw and would explain some of the upset. Normally leasing plans do offer much better flexability and renewal options. Its just that Optus offers the renewal offer on all its plans.

"Buying plans are comparatively more expensive.."

Yes lease plans save a few dollars along the way (~$6 a month once you subtract the $99 upgrade fee) but are ultimately much more expensive - as you'd expect getting a brand new flagship phone every 12 months is an expensive luxury. Personally I'd dial the upgrade back to every 24 months and it would save over $1000 off TCO (Total Cost of Ownership). But if people have the money then why not upgrade? My question is why sign a leasing contract when the standard contract comes with the same features and none of the pitfalls. I only mention this because people are fighting to stay on leasing plans and IMO optus have done its customers a favour by providing them a better deal going forward.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I should just repeat that as I think that might be where most of the concern is coming from:

Optus "own your own phone" plans are almost identical to "leasing" plans. They include the same ability to upgrade your phone to a new one every 12 months (for a $149 fee and the contract extends another 24 months).

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Pauly86
New Contributor

Why am I hearing about this on the 29th August a month later!!! Thanks just received a txt message from Optus today bravo so I won’t be able to upgrade my phone in the first year ??? 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Pauly86 ,

There's no change to your current options. Upgrading in the first year was never a feature of the lease or own your own phone plans. Both plans have the $99 upgrade option you can use anytime from month 12 to 24.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor SeeyaLater
New Contributor

Tha is Optus for making my options clear.

please give me details of how at end of lease period I can cancel my Optus account.

i got completely stuffed over by your company when I moved house and I vowed to leave Optus all together as soon as my lease finished, now all I need is details of how it’s done.

first home internet and now mobile. I think I will buy up some Telstra shares since they will be major winners of this.

Occasional Contributor gqgrant
Occasional Contributor

Hi Optus,

I just received a message with a vague attempt at outlining this rort. 

It's ridiculous that you have sent me a text message, not even an email today more than 1 month after making leasing plans redundant. 

I believe this is in breach of the Australian Consumer Law and will be pursuing a claim through that avenue. 

I'm less than 12 months into the forced 24 month agreement and now being told to pay a fee to rescind or be forced into a new 24 month contract at a higher rate.  

Where's the equity here? There is none, just unjust enrichment for the greedy telco and misleading representation in the first place. 

Why  should customers be forced into a new contract for a fee after not even honouring the original Agreement. 

New Contributor Gcudz
New Contributor

My lease expires in November. I intended on keeping this phone and paying a buyout fee (unsure how much for iPhone8) I have several large cracks front and back but my theory is pay my insurance cost and the phone will likely be replaced giving me a new phone on a sim only plan at expirey of contract. Will this be allowed 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors