cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor StephLR
Occasional Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

But I don't want a refurb - the upgrade benefit was to have a brand new handset? Also what happens to warranty on a refurb as opposed to a brand new phone?

Highlighted
New Contributor JessGeaney
New Contributor

This is ridiculous! I'm able to upgrade in December which is fine. I don't mind paying to upgrade but I do NOT want to go back to 24 month contracts. I'd rather go pre paid or go somewhere else that offers early upgrade options.

Now I'm being told i either pay over $1000 to cancel in December or I get stuck with another phone for 24 months. Absolutely stupid!

New Contributor Jeff1969
New Contributor

So. Does that mean you are breaching the existing contract to which I signed  up to?

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If it's ridiculous (and yes I agree leasing is a bad deal) then it's what you've signed up for. Your current contact is unchanged. Your options remain unchanged, save for the difference that you now have the option to own the phone. You can still upgrade again in 12 months if you want. Signing up for a new 24 month contract was always something you agreed to do. Leasing or otherwise.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor ARL
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Optus for teaching me an important lesson about if anything looks too good to be true, it usually is...

Thank you also for waiting over a month before sending a text to notify me. I'm now into the second year of my lease (although I don't know who gets screwed more here, first or second year customers.

The wording of this message is terribly confusing - especially the part under "end of lease"

How much time do I have on this existing plan if I simply want to continue on it?

When am I going to be advised of the "fair market value" of the phone and "service cancellation fee"?

If I break a contract I understand I have to pay a cancellation fee, I'm a bit more annoyed that if *optus* breaks the contract I still have to pay a cancellation fee.

Goodbye Optus, hello TIO...

Occasional Contributor Jake88
Occasional Contributor

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@StephLR 

Probably talking to the wrong crowd. Leasing and new phones is just like buying a new car every 2 years. It's expensive and for the wealthy. Optus leasing seems cheaper but in reality the bill is just put off. If money is no object then have at it.

I tend to buy cars that are two years old. About half the price and a near identical experience. Similarly a good refurb (these days usually a phone that got returned day 1 and fixed or even was just a change of mind but can't be sold as new) with a good SIM plan can save you 50% and the phone would be unrecognisable from the new phone you bought after a month.

Warranty wise you're still covered but something to look into I agree. I'm just offering alternatives. Optus isn't changing this policy and people are posting they will need to get less data and pay $100 a month etc. 

People can PM me if they want to discuss options but otherwise it does sound like it's time to look around and evaluate options. It's possible the current Optus deal is still a good one?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Jake88 ,

Love people getting to know their statutory rights. We have some pretty powerful ones here in Oz that many don't take advantage of. That said I'm not sure which ones of those listed  might apply in this case.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Jake88
Occasional Contributor

Had a chat with Optus support the other day.  Seems like they weren't even aware and didn't have a script ready for calls regarding the leasing plan closure.

Anyway, I mentioned that I was only into my third month of the leasing plan contract and didn't opt in to own the phone because I wanted to upgrade my phone every year.  I also told them that they offered me an option to own the phone when the lease plan expires after two years for an additional 10 dollars per month.  To cut the story short, I asked them to update my plan so I can own the phone after 2 years.  Well, they wouldn't budge.  We just went around in circles and all the customer service person did was repeat what was published in page 1 of this thread. 

They also told me that they DID do their legal obligation to inform customers that the leasing plan was no longer offered.  I argued with them that I was only informed by SMS a week ago - a month after the decision was made to discontinue leasing plans.  Is that even complying to the Australian Consumer Law?  I believe there should be provisions for obtaining consumer consent prior to changing or terminating the service that consumers initially signed up for.

I asked them to escalate the issue and offer me a better option.  They'll get back to me in 7-10 days.  Wow!

New Contributor Skippyasyrmoney
New Contributor

Seems like Optus really doesn’t want or need customers anymore because if I was to go onto a new contact with the exact the phone the iPhone XS my plan would go from $90 including handset leasing way up to the basic minimum plan of $140 owning the phone. Telstra and Vodafone seems to have much better plans these days than Optus which you would think having customers that have been with you for over 15yrs you would want to look after them. 

Top Contributors