Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

@Birdey 

That was Optus' primary rationale for the leasing plans. Some people prefer not to have the hassle and save a few bucks of the plan instead. Which is fine. 

I agree Optus plans have now gravitated up a fair bit. They're essentially on par with Telstra mobile prices. The theory is that after a long period of very cut price plans with big data the 4G network is oversold, customers have been locked in for 24 months and Optus is now looking for revenue to concentrate on building its 5G network. I don't anticipate a return to the lower prices for a while now (but who knows?) 

You can ride out your current plan and then it might be time to look around. If price is a factor then keeping a flagship for 3 years rather than 1 significantly cuts the costs. Resellers of the big Telcos also have good deals still. And if you end up owning the phone then selling it for $500+ on eBay or gumtree isn't much of a hassle (at thgat price you'll sell instantly) and you just factor in the TCO over the 24-36 months.

Good Luck anyway.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor g3mk3m
New Contributor

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. I would normally actually prefer to own the phone in the future anyway but I was not working much at the time and thought I’d save the money. Jokes on me!

Looks like any iPhone I want will be over $100 a month now so I’ll have to weigh it up 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@g3mk3m 

A Pixel 3A is a great phone at a great price (I'd probably take the risk and self insure it). 

But an AGrade refurb 256Gb 8+ is $900 upfront. Add say 20Gb?? a month (with rollover) for $25 and that's $60 a month payments over 2 years (and you still got the phone to sell at the end of that)

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor AllyyCatt
New Contributor

@Sucker  I had this problem, head to the Apple store. Sometimes depending on circumstances they’ll replace the screen as long as it hasn’t been given non Apple parts. It will be less than a phone shop. Otherwise Optus will have it assessed and you’ll most likely end up paying the $499 (I did) ouch. 

Occasional Contributor StephLR
Occasional Contributor

Yep for me to go from my current 12GB plan for $55/mth the closest offering the same if not more data on the same equivalent model is $86/mth - so over 24 mths it's considerably higher and much more than a couple hundred dollars in saving - try $744 and my phone at the end would NEVER resell for anything near this amount soooo...... 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@StephLR So the 256Gb iPhone 8+ is only $5 more a month than your current plan (before selling the phone) with twice the data? What model mobile are you looking at? 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor StephLR
Occasional Contributor

I have a Samsung S9 - looking at the equivalent S10 which is what I would upgrade to.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Willy77
New Contributor

It’s only fair and reasonable to offer phone pay out estimate (handset) and to allow Optus customers such as myself cancel my plan without cost NOW. I signed up to the lease plan on the assumption it would continue but that is not the case. I now have to wait until my lease plan ends, pay termination of $99 before I can go elsewhere OR I have to sign up to a 24 month plan at higher costs with Optus. 

Talk abour our giving your customers absolutely no good alternative options.

New Contributor Danilirosi
New Contributor

This is pretty disgusting given I contracted 3 weeks ago

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@StephLR ,

Nice phone! Ok, So a A Grade Refurb 128Gb S10+ costs around $1000. Couple that with a 25Gb a month plan (with rollover) and that works out to $65 a month over two years. The phone would easily be worth $500 then. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors