cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor StephLR
Occasional Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

I think you're missing the point that the leasing option meant we could keep the plan we enjoyed and just upgrade the phone - I don't want to resign to a new higher priced plan for what I am receiving now - I enjoy my plan - but I liked that I could swap my phone and upgrade that for $99.

Highlighted
New Contributor Abcde12345
New Contributor

This is pretty poor. I agree with most people that the lack of notice and ability to make an informed choice is not in the best interest of the customer. Will optus provide customers on lease plans currently the option to leave without cancellations fees? That should be an option for anyone not happy with the new offers. And also what is determined as current market value when you want to pay it out? What is your calculation for determining this? Can you provide me with the current market value of an iPhone XSMax 512gb in great condition that’s 10-11 mo the old?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Birdey 

Taking the upgrade ($99) option of leased plans always required a new 24 month plan to be signed. As opposed to an own your own phone plan that gave customer the options of staying on the same plan, upgrading ($99) to a new phone/plan (and keeping the old phone) or keeping the phone a while longer and recontracting for SIM Only at probably half the old contract price.

Leasing contracts provided much less choice and no extra ones than own your phone contracts.

Peter Gillespie

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@StephLR So did the Own Your Own Phone contracts. As detailed in the post above you had many different options including just moving to month to month.

Leasing contracts had zero better options than own your own phones, other than the $120-$240 you saved in plan fees over the 24 months. For this benefit customers gave up owning a $1000+ phone.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor g3mk3m
New Contributor

I’m in the same boat as you. Phone is perfect bar a tiny tiny crack in the glass in the bottom corner. Optus shop told me it would be over $200 to fix with them. Said it would be cheaper to pay the $100 fee for insurance and have it fixed under that.

Ive got no idea what to do, or what the best option is now. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Abcde12345 ,

As per you current contract there are no cancellation fees when you finish up after 24 months and hand the phone back in. At that time anyone can decide if the plans Optus are offering are something you want to upgrade to ($99) or you end the contract there. Nothing has changed in this process. At the end of this contract you were always going to have to sign a brand new contract (unless you left Optus altogether). The terms of that contract have not been set and you would always find out when you get to that point.

Optus can't contract you to sign another contract and you can't contract Optus to offer a particular contract. 

You raise another downside of the leasing program - Optus decides what is fair market value. There is no negotiation. You can only find out when you return the phone to Optus and they will assess it then. Do some research on what a refurbished eBay model would cost and make your decision accordingly.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Birdey
New Contributor

That may be, and makes logical sense, but in reality, I can never be bothered reselling my old handset and normally just give it away, so there's no value there. Plus looking at the current plans, to get something that's on par with my existing plan for data + roaming, I'll need to go from $75 / month --> $105 / month, which's quite a hike

New Contributor TelstraPhil
New Contributor

what is the fair market value for a Galaxy S8?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@g3mk3m ,

Another downside in leasing plans is the tiniest crack must be repaired.It also must be repaired by either Optus or the Manufacture (with full priced parts and labour). I'm not sure, but I don't think the Optus Insurance actually counts as Optus for this purpose. (Its a third party company that just fixes phones using whatever.)

That said, if you handed a phone back in with the glass replaced (and perfect) I don't think any visual sevice assessment would even notice it was replaced. So I'd probably just get it done under insurance. The advantage of using Optus would be they just take the phone imnmeadiately and charge the $200 and that's done. No 1-2 week wait for the insurance company to fix it.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor g3mk3m
New Contributor

Me too. Current plan is $92/m including insurance for an iPhone 8+ - to get the same phone again on a new plan will be about $104/m with insurance. Now looking at a google pixel or similar to cut down on costs 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors