cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor BrianZ
New Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

Here's the deal.

We signed up 2 phones to the leasing deal, because we could upgrade every 12 months for just $99

Let me get this straight, you are changing the rules so that you can lock us into higher ownership rates instead of leasing.

That's a breach of contract, not what I signed up for.

New Contributor gillieb
New Contributor

Yep!  Another customer who has just found out about this by way of SMS..over 4 weeks after this came into play.   Not impressed Optus!  How many people were sold these products in the days and weeks prior to this decision being made?  

New Contributor BrianZ
New Contributor

OPTUS: This is Not Acceptable.  Owned plans are a higher rate. NOBODY signed up to that.  The contract we signed up to is a lower rate. If you can't honour your end of the contract than you should pay us a cancellation fee.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@BrianZ 

You current contract is unchanged. The contract has a defined period and explicitly states you have the option to sign a new contract (once only) with new terms. There is no comitment as to what those terms are before you get to that stage.

0 Kudos
New Contributor BrianZ
New Contributor

Incorrect.

The product we purchased had the option to update to another lease every 12 mths. This was clearly advertised and part of the sale contract. The lease price is lower than the owned price, they are effectively locking us into a higher price if we wish to upgrade, this was not part of the sale contract.

Optus have decided to take away the option to upgrade on a lease after 12 months, without offering any compensation for the removal of this important part of the original sale offering. 

Highlighted
New Contributor BrianZ
New Contributor

You need to read the contract.

"These plans include the option of upgrading early to a new phone on a new contract. After 12 months on these plans you have the option to pay a one-off fee of $99, return the original mobile handset to Optus in good working order (damage fees apply if it is damaged) and recontract on a new eligible 24-month plan (either leasing a phone or purchasing one depending on the plan and phone you choose)."

It explicity gives us the option of  "leasing a phone".   That option has been removed.  The option has been changed within 12 months of signing up. Optus must honour the agreement, or cancel the agreement at no cost to the customer.

New Contributor JustSomeGuy
New Contributor

I literally just found out about this via text message, most disapointing. 

New Contributor Birdey
New Contributor

Just found out about this via text and first option was to chat to an agent. Found out my contact ends March 2020 and was told it would cost $399 to upgrade handset + sign on to new 24 month plan. It's $99 if I wait till contract expires. Also, they can't give a fair market value estimate until handset until March

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

"and recontract on a new eligible 24-month plan"

The key words there are 'new' and 'eligible'. Optus gets to decide what plans are eligible (and leasing plans aren't)

I'm frankly perplexed at the angst. Any new leasing plan would have the same terms in it as the current own your own phone plans now on offer. Optus has done their customers a solid in this instance. People seem intent on demanding Optus charge them $1000 more for essentially the same product. 

I agree the communication of the change has been decidedly lacking though.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor StephLR
Occasional Contributor

I always believed that I could upgrade my phone for $99 WITHOUT having to sign onto a new 24-month contract. Can I still upgrade the phone without resigning anything?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors