cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor TaniLee
New Contributor

Re: Removal of Optus Leasing plans

Can see what all the Agro is about. I’m with everybody else on this. And to just get a text message now, at least a month after this action took place, is not good enough. 

Yet another customer here, who has been with Optus for quite a few years, this is really disappointing.

Occasional Contributor Jake88
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I literally knew about this an hour ago!   

I'm also in the same boat as the others here.  The reason why I took up the leasing plan was to keep upgrading yearly.

I did not opt in to own the phone after my contract expires and I signed up late May.

Why not give us the option to terminate our current contracts with no obligation so we could move to other providers instead?

Regards,

Jake

New Contributor Jaydev
New Contributor

Hi,

I was looking to cancel the lease plan I am on completely. I am past the 12 months & the phone is in perfect condition with no cracks or scratches. I’m giving the phone back & don’t want to continue on with another plan so am I still meant to pay the $99?

Thanks.

New Contributor Beany02
New Contributor

For starters there is no communication I just get a text message stating this was done... where is the letter or email sent to users who applied for this contract? I went with this due to the early upgrade as a lot of other people on here did.

now I have one of two options:

run my lease out on current phone this will

mean I have an older phone but have a decent amount of data (200gb) and pay $2 cheaper $138/month

or two upgrade when the iPhone is released and potentially pay more money for less data (60gb) $140/month? 

either way I'm pretty screwed... why remove something a lot of people use and then turn around and say resign up to a plan that offers less then what they have? 

to be honest I am really thinking of complaining to the telecommunications ombudsman as this level of service it ridiculous, I have been with Optus for over 14 years and to be treated like this..

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Jake88 ,

Trading Up options are not limited to Leasing plans. The reason why lease plans are so bad is that Optus offers near identical traditional own the phone plans with all the same features and a lot more flexability. Plus you also have the option of keeping your $1000+ phone at the end of the contract that seems to be your complaint?

To all the people on this thread, nothing has essentially changed in your options moving forward. You can still cancel, renew or payout the phone you have under the same terms you have today. However a new contract is just that and the terms may change the next time you want to sign up when this one ends. 

You can read the contract you signed here (noting that Optus or You can cancel it at any time with proscribed penalties - interestingly enough it appears if Optus cancel the lease you are still up for the penalties). 

FWIW I would suggest most people leasing wait until there are no penalties to leave. Then either

1) move to an own your own phone plan (which still has 12 month upgrade options) or

2) If you really want out, buy the phone (at the price Optus stipulates) and keep it or sell it on eBay. You will be out of contract  and probably only a few $100 out overall.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Robbiel
Occasional Contributor

This is information is much clearer than the original wording in the Official Optus statement above. The cynic in me believes that this is deliberatly so.

My understanding of your clarification is that there is NO CHANGE to the conditions of my leasing contract. The choice to upgrade and the penalties / costs for that choice remain the same as in the contract that I signed. The only change is that the next plan I sign up to can't be a leasing plan (because they don't exist). This makes perfect sense and I have no objections to it. That said - is it too much to ask for optus the company (not someone on this forum) release an official clarification on this issue.

Otherwise I am confident that I will go into an optus store to upgrade 13 months into my contract and be told that because in August 19 I was only 10 months into my contract, according to the official post from optus in August 19 I fall into the category of someonewho is under 12 months into their contract, I will have to pay out the remaining cost of the phone if I want to upgrade. 

If Optus is not wiling / interested in clarifying this - I would like a note on my customer record, confirmed in writing stating that (as per the advice below) If I choose, I am eligible to upgrade for $99 once my contract is more than 12 months old.

TIA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Laneway
New Contributor

I still have received no formal notification.

No email, text or letter. 

THIS is what bothers me the most. The change itself I couldn't give a rats crack about. 

The fact that I have not been told is what I find so disrespectful.

Occasional Contributor StephLR
Occasional Contributor

Me either ... I've heard nothing from Optus...

Occasional Contributor Jake88
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload  - Nope. I did not take the option to own the phone. The leasing plan I have is much cheaper than the traditional own-the-phone plans they have.  I signed up because the leasing plan provided the option to upgrade my phone every year.

What everyone here is bothered about is that there was no email, no SMS prior to this decision being made.  Now is that even fair?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Its after the fact so probably not much point labouring it but Optus leasing was much more expensive than the own your own phone options (yes you saved about $240 over two years off your monthly plan fees but you gave away the $800+ the phone would have been worth selling on eBay). In addition the customer took on all the risks of being required to return the phone in near perfect shape at the end (lost or stolen you couldn't even buy Optus a replacement as they demand the original phone). And as mentioned, the exact same option to upgrade every 12 months applied (and still applies) to the own your own phone plans.

But all that is moot now. Yes I agree Optus should do a much better job of keeping customers informed of what is going on. Online orders have few updates, changes to contracts (which Optus actually have a legal obligations to inform), etc. are handled messily. Optus seems to feel posting an announcement in their forum is almost enough. Even contacting customers close to the end of their contracts should be a great opportunity to discus better plans and options etc.

FWIW your current contract hasn't changed. All that is missing is a heads up that the contract won't be renewed on the same terms next time around (which is the same for every contract we enter into generally). Presumably Optus will let people know when they start returning their phones in due course.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors