Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor paulaeverett83
New Contributor

Refusing to unlock Prepaid phone

I had a prepaid phone last year. Had it unlocked free as I met the requirements to do so then I broke the phone however as I liked it so much I got another the same, popped my old sim in and everything was fine. After about 7 months of owning the new phone I wanted to get it unlocked again. My 16 year old daughter and I will swap phones when she has school excursions etc as my phone is cheaper and easier to replace however when I contacted optus via chat and asked them about getting the code as I had again met the minimum requirements they told me I'd already been given the code. I explained I had broken the first phone, gotten another the same, different imei etc but apparently it's only one code per phone number. Has anyone else had the same issue? I find it ridiculous that to unlock a phone I need to change my phone number each time I buy a new phone. Many, many people keep the same number. Feels like a kick in the bum for being a loyal customer

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Refusing to unlock Prepaid phone

Hmm I have never seen that reported on this forum and it does sound rather strange. From what I understand its simply a matter of a minimum spend or an unlocking fee. Did you try speaking to another operator? 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Refusing to unlock Prepaid phone

Hi there paulaeverette83,

I don't know for sure but I would have thought the unlock code is more connected to the handset IMEI rather than the mobile number. As you say, changing your number isn't a requirement.

Have you tried submitting the online form to obtain the unlock code?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors